The Grand Tour Thread

Started by Payman, October 08, 2016, 08:43:41 AM

Submariner

The GT should have been Top Gear, period.  They could have called it "Low Cog" and claimed it to be a parody of the old show or something, but everything about the new series leaves me wanting for more.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

giant_mtb

I've checked out from this show. It's pretty shitty. I gave it a chance. 

Tave

Everything but the first two episodes were vintage Top Gear. New one is out: two part Namibian special, congratulations for quitting before the best part of the season.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Tave

Quote from: Submariner on December 25, 2016, 09:53:26 AM
The GT should have been Top Gear, period.  They could have called it "Low Cog" and claimed it to be a parody of the old show or something, but everything about the new series leaves me wanting for more.

This is a horrible idea; they wouldn't have lasted 3 weeks.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Tave on December 31, 2016, 08:47:44 AM
Everything but the first two episodes were vintage Top Gear. New one is out: two part Namibian special, congratulations for quitting before the best part of the season.

+1. I think people remember Top Gear a bit too fondly. American Stig and killing celebs is dumb, but otherwise it's been at least as good as the last few years of TG.

I haven't watched Part 2 yet, but Namibia Part 1 was awesome, IMO.

68_427

Quote from: BimmerM3 on December 31, 2016, 10:01:31 AM
+1. I think people remember Top Gear a bit too fondly. American Stig and killing celebs is dumb, but otherwise it's been at least as good as the last few years of TG.

I haven't watched Part 2 yet, but Namibia Part 1 was awesome, IMO.

They kill off the celebs because they booked them all, then the lawyers realized they aren't allowed to interview them due to contract obligations and trademarks from the BBC and Top Gear.  I hate it slightly less after reading about that since it's not only crappy for us but them as well.  And I agree with the sentiment that people remember Top Gear a bit too fondly.  They act like they were never disappointed with a Top Gear episode ever, remembering all epsiodes as fondly as the specials from Vietnam and the like.  This is their first season with a mostly new crew, and entirely different setting.  I can't imagine how much work it is to move the entire set all around the world in addition to filming all the actual features, all while trying not to get sued by the BBC for infringing on ridiculous copyrights.  We are only six (SIX!!!) episodes into an entirely new show and they'll work out the kinks.  We have to remember that everything we're seeing was filmed before the first episode even aired so there was no feedback from the viewers available.  I'm sure once some feedback is taken into consideration and they mellow down a bit (I think Clarkson was a bit too excited to be "on the internet") it'll all come together.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CaminoRacer

Motortrend's YouTube channel killed The Grand Tour for me. During the year+ wait for GT, I just watched Roadkill, Dirt Everyday, etc. which are all superior shows since they don't fake stuff or do silly crap. Just cool cars doing cool things.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

veeman

I've seen 4 episodes now.  Haven't seen the Namibia one yet.  I've really liked them.  Their chemistry is great.  They beat to death a lot of things like Hammond irritating May by gunning the Hellcat but it's still really funny.

giant_mtb

The Namibia special was pretty awesome.

The American is still unbearable.

Watching the latest episode (Stuttgart) meow.

giant_mtb

Anyone been keeping up?  I haven't watched since episode 9, there've been four since.  I don't remember anything about E9, so I assume it was runremarkable.  I'm guessing by the inactivity in this thread that most of us have checked out...?

cawimmer430

I had a feeling these Grand Tour episodes would be lifeless and boring. Even the regular Top Gear show had a tendency to get boring pretty quickly, especially with certain cars. But maybe that's because I am forced to watch them dubbed into German...  :facepalm:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

68_427

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 24, 2017, 03:10:33 AM
I had a feeling these Grand Tour episodes would be lifeless and boring. Even the regular Top Gear show had a tendency to get boring pretty quickly, especially with certain cars. But maybe that's because I am forced to watch them dubbed into German...  :facepalm:

Nah

https://123movies.is/film/the-grand-tour-season-1-17912/
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

cawimmer430

Quote from: 68_427 on February 24, 2017, 03:29:36 AM
Nah

https://123movies.is/film/the-grand-tour-season-1-17912/

The first episode was decent, but after that...

I enjoy watching Top Gear to a certain extent, but I'm not what you'd consider a devoted follower or "Top Gear Fanboy"...  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 23, 2017, 07:17:38 PM
Anyone been keeping up?  I haven't watched since episode 9, there've been four since.  I don't remember anything about E9, so I assume it was runremarkable.  I'm guessing by the inactivity in this thread that most of us have checked out...?

I finished out the season. I'm not desperately begging for more, but I'll pick it back up when season 2 hits.

veeman

The 4 or 5 episodes I've seen I've really liked.  I hope they continue it. 

BimmerM3

Sounds like for S4, they're moving to an all road-trips format.

From TGT's official FB page.

Raza

Quote from: BimmerM3 on December 13, 2018, 02:51:21 PM
Sounds like for S4, they're moving to an all road-trips format.

From TGT's official FB page.

That is fantastic news.  I hope they dial back the staging of events a bit more and just focus on doing the show the way they used to.  Which may have well also been staged, but at least it was less obvious.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BimmerM3

New season is pretty good so far. Improved over the last two seasons, anyway.

r0tor

So big news was just announced on the show... Not sure what to think about it.

Also a treat documentary on the death of the sedan
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

BimmerM3

Quote from: r0tor on April 12, 2019, 05:29:37 PM
So big news was just announced on the show... Not sure what to think about it.

Also a treat documentary on the death of the sedan

Scroll up like 3 posts. They announced it in December.

r0tor

I actually really enjoyed the conversation street segment... I could watch those 3 bullshit about cars for a full show

So this is a bit of a letdown
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

YT is the last bastion of nerd video content.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT