Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

SJ_GTI

Quote from: GoCougs on April 21, 2019, 09:35:28 PM
Correct, Musk is literally a psychopath, and not too smart, so nothing from Tesla (or him) can be trusted at this point. Also r0tor was a ginormous Ford proponent...

One still has to ask, Why all this drama? By my figuring it seems to have started a little while ago when Musk doxxed a short seller to his employer, trying to get him fired. The troops rallied, and now it's to the point that the trolling and drama that has happened as a result has literally jeopardized the existence of Tesla.

How can shareholders and/or the board not remove Musk shows how broken the whole system is - from EVs to the SEC. Musk is a failure. Tesla is a failure. EVs are a failure.

AutobahnSHO

EVs have a niche where they can do very well. Otherwise plugin hybrids are the current best thing.

Musk is a nut but apparently charismatic enough to sucker in the big money.
Will

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 22, 2019, 05:44:51 AM
Look, Tesla has serious problems, but Musk not smart? Lol. Dude is worth $21B... unless you guys are billionaires too clearly he knows something you don't.

There's definitely an undercurrent of jealousy in the Tesla short community. Between the two sides it's impossible to get any kind of objective perspective. You have to read about the same issue from the cultists and shorts and pick out commonalities to find the truth. A referendum on American discourse and media in general.

He's worth $21B...almost all of which is in his own company stock, which is the most shorted stock on the market, under SEC and DOJ investigation, and over 40% of it is borrowed against.  He took out mortgages against all 5 of his mansions.  He's teetering on the edge of being worth nothing.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on April 21, 2019, 09:35:28 PM
Correct, Musk is literally a psychopath, and not too smart, so nothing from Tesla (or him) can be trusted at this point. Also r0tor was a ginormous Ford proponent...

One still has to ask, Why all this drama? By my figuring it seems to have started a little while ago when Musk doxxed a short seller to his employer, trying to get him fired. The troops rallied, and now it's to the point that the trolling and drama that has happened as a result has literally jeopardized the existence of Tesla.

How can shareholders and/or the board not remove Musk shows how broken the whole system is - from EVs to the SEC. Musk is a failure. Tesla is a failure. EVs are a failure.

Yeah, Montana Skeptic is now the martyr for all the bears.  Terrible, terrible mistake by Elon.  It's easy to shut up the shorts...perform.  Hit your numbers and make enough money to justify your valuation, and magically the shorts go away.  When a company has to aggressively attack shorts, it's because they know there's no financial basis to justify what they're doing.

I wouldn't even go as far to say EVs are a failure.  They are not economically viable yet.  Eventually they'll get there.  Tesla is not the company to do it though.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

shp4man

Tesla was advertising for technicians here locally. I didn't fill out an application.  ;)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on April 22, 2019, 08:02:46 AM
He's worth $21B...almost all of which is in his own company stock, which is the most shorted stock on the market, under SEC and DOJ investigation, and over 40% of it is borrowed against.  He took out mortgages against all 5 of his mansions.  He's teetering on the edge of being worth nothing.
Hmm when you put it that way, being a verified Twitter hater def sounds like more of an accomplishment. Better to yell from the peanut gallery than to try and fail I guess.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: shp4man on April 22, 2019, 08:10:20 AM
Tesla was advertising for technicians here locally. I didn't fill out an application.  ;)

great call!
Will

r0tor

Quoteauthor=MrH
I wouldn't even go as far to say EVs are a failure.  They are not economically viable yet.  Eventually they'll get there.  Tesla is not the company to do it though.

You better tell that to Ford, GM, VAG, Jag, Volvo, ect plus a couple dozen Chinese makers ect who all are heavily invested in EVs and have shit tons of products hitting the market in 2 years.  Like it or not, EVs are taking over and Tesla is sitting pretty with a large charging infrasture and battery tech that uses a fraction of of the lithium/cobalt of its rivals.

The basic problem of Tesla shorts are they don't know who the puppermaster of their little movement is.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on April 22, 2019, 10:31:08 AM
You better tell that to Ford, GM, VAG, Jag, Volvo, ect plus a couple dozen Chinese makers ect who all are heavily invested in EVs and have shit tons of products hitting the market in 2 years.  Like it or not, EVs are taking over and Tesla is sitting pretty with a large charging infrasture and battery tech that uses a fraction of of the lithium/cobalt of its rivals.

The basic problem of Tesla shorts are they don't know who the puppermaster of their little movement is.
Ummm, he said EVs will eventually get there. You and MrH represent the mirror images of the worst elements of the Tesla discussion. When did owning/shorting a stock become religion? :facepalm:

CaminoRacer

Why do you need a puppetmaster to short a stock?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Quote from: r0tor on April 22, 2019, 10:31:08 AM

"sitting pretty"  LOLZ

They're going to lose a billion dollars this year.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on April 22, 2019, 08:05:50 AM
Yeah, Montana Skeptic is now the martyr for all the bears.  Terrible, terrible mistake by Elon.  It's easy to shut up the shorts...perform.  Hit your numbers and make enough money to justify your valuation, and magically the shorts go away.  When a company has to aggressively attack shorts, it's because they know there's no financial basis to justify what they're doing.

Tesla's upcoming earnings report is shaping up to be a disaster.

This whole thing with battling the "short sellers" and the unparalleled L that Musk and Tesla are taking as a result is just hilarious.

EVs will go down like hybrids. Almost 20 years later and the Prius is still the only hybrid that matters, and even then it's just a footnote. So, not a failure per se, but EVs won't be a factor in the market.

r0tor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 22, 2019, 10:40:24 AM
Why do you need a puppetmaster to short a stock?

You can't deny there is a gigantic Tesla short propogandamobile out there... That didn't just happen put of a vacuum.  There is a shit ton of $$$ involved in Tesla shorts
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: MrH on April 22, 2019, 11:15:08 AM
"sitting pretty"  LOLZ

They're going to lose a billion dollars this year.

Wow it takes money to build another factory - that's an amazing concept.

93JC

Quote from: r0tor on April 22, 2019, 02:41:45 PM
You can't deny there is a gigantic Tesla short propogandamobile out there... That didn't just happen put of a vacuum.  There is a shit ton of $$$ involved in Tesla shorts

The pro-Tesla propaganda machine is at least as big as "the shorts". After all the source you quoted was Electrek.co, who lest we forget get kickbacks from Tesla for referring new customers.

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on April 22, 2019, 02:41:45 PM

There is, but that's because Musk is a moron psycho, and 100% brought it upon himself and Tesla.

MrH

Quote from: r0tor on April 22, 2019, 02:44:07 PM
Wow it takes money to build another factory - that's an amazing concept.

Please learn to read a financial statement and try again. They've completely gutted CapEx. This is a billion dollar operational loss.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on April 22, 2019, 03:12:53 PM
There is, but that's because Musk is a moron psycho, and 100% brought it upon himself and Tesla.

Exactly. Shorts didn't cause Elon to commit securities fraud. Shorts aren't causing the collapse of Tesla. They're just rooting for the inevitable. The sooner this fraud goes under, the better off we'll all be.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

r0tor

Quote from: MrH on April 22, 2019, 04:17:34 PM
Please learn to read a financial statement and try again. They've completely gutted CapEx. This is a billion dollar operational loss.

Define "gutted"

MrH

Very good. Now subtract out depreciation and amortization of PP&E and tell me what you get.

I'll give you a chance to see how ugly the baby is for yourself before sharing  ;)
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

r0tor

I think the ugly baby looks alot like the gigafactory 3 which is being accelerated... the opposite of gutting capex

r0tor

Also maybe you can edumacate me how depreciation somehow gets counted as capex

GoCougs

lol so Tesla posts a 2019 Q1 loss ~2.5x worse than the average estimate. Revenue missed too. Deliveries down ~30%.

Payman

SJ_GTI

Their stock price is barely moving though. Was actually up slightly in after hours trading last i checked. So strange how their stock price appears to be totally divorced from their actual performance.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 24, 2019, 05:46:59 PM
Their stock price is barely moving though. Was actually up slightly in after hours trading last i checked. So strange how their stock price appears to be totally divorced from their actual performance.

Isn't that normal for big tech the last decade?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Big tech EPS ratios are pretty sane these days. Apple is practically a blue chip now
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on April 24, 2019, 03:49:42 PM
lol so Tesla posts a 2019 Q1 loss ~2.5x worse than the average estimate. Revenue missed too. Deliveries down ~30%.
Well to be fair they are going to sell insurance and driverless taxis... or something like that

SJ_GTI

So I read through their Q1 financial release (since this is literally what I do for a living). I can kind of understand the case they are making and why they feel optimistic...but man is that an ugly balance sheet.