Bimmer's (potential) Garage Shake-up Mega-Thread

Started by BimmerM3, November 11, 2018, 06:00:54 PM

AutobahnSHO

Ugh as much as I love Subies the mileage is horrible..
Will

BimmerM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 19, 2018, 07:56:08 PM
Ugh as much as I love Subies the mileage is horrible..

It's underwhelming, but still better than the base car (especially the 6-speed I'd get), and probably better than anything else I'd consider taking up rough roads. 17 miles of pure EV would still be enough for most of my local driving too.

MSRP ($35k) is higher than I was hoping though. With federal & local incentives, I'd essentially save $9.5k, making it about $25.5k net. That's about $2k more than I'd pay for the ICE model I want, but also has more options (CVT + EyeSight + Leather, essentially). Getting a ICE model with equivalent options as the PHEV would be about $27.5k though, so it'd be a great deal in that regard.

So it'd basically come down to 6-speed + ~$2k in-hand + cargo space vs. CVT + EyeSight + Leather + more fuel savings + faster + moral superiority.

12,000 RPM

Choice sounds obvious to me, especially if the PHEV is as fast as the manual.

For what it is.... bad aerodynamics, big mud bogging tires, legit mechanical AWD.... 35 MPG sounds pretty good, as does 90 MPGe
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 19, 2018, 08:39:54 PM
Choice sounds obvious to me, especially if the PHEV is as fast as the manual.

For what it is.... bad aerodynamics, big mud bogging tires, legit mechanical AWD.... 35 MPG sounds pretty good, as does 90 MPGe

FWIW, they are putting low-rolling resistance tires on the PHEV, so swapping out for snows and/or ATs will have some amount of negative effect. I haven't done any research into how much of an effect that would be yet.

I don't know if the manual is any faster than the CVT for the ICE models, but I think that video said (I was only kind of half watching) the PHEV is about one second faster to 60 than the ICE model, which is a pretty big difference.

giant_mtb

What's the aspect ratio on the stock tires?  I assume they're normal-width wheels/tires (ie, not like the BMW i3), in which case you shouldn't lose more than a couple MPG for some decent AS/AT tires.

r0tor

Have you driven a Crosstrek?  They always seem OK on paper, then you drive one and realize it's a really expensive econobox and I don't think I could deal with something so ridiculously underpowered
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 19, 2018, 10:38:20 PM
What's the aspect ratio on the stock tires?  I assume they're normal-width wheels/tires (ie, not like the BMW i3), in which case you shouldn't lose more than a couple MPG for some decent AS/AT tires.

Yeah, same size as the Limited ICE model, just the low-resistance compound.

Quote from: r0tor on November 20, 2018, 05:48:55 AM
Have you driven a Crosstrek?  They always seem OK on paper, then you drive one and realize it's a really expensive econobox and I don't think I could deal with something so ridiculously underpowered

Not yet, but I'm aware of their performance figures. The ICE models aren't that much slower than my old Accord or the Explorer, despite its V8, and at least with a 6-speed I can be in the right gear more often. If the PHEV is actually a full second faster than the ICE model to 60, then it's faster than the Explorer.

Not to mention that there are thousands of those things driving all over steep mountain highways at 10k+ feet. They're not exactly an enthusiast's dream, but "ridiculously unpowered" is a bit of an exaggeration as well.

I do wish they offered the Crosstrek with the 2.5 from the Forester for a bit more power, and trying to find a 6-speed Forester is also still a possibility (though the added weight eats into the extra power a bit, so it's not all that much faster).

r0tor

No, "ridiculously underpowered" sums the Crosstrek up well once you actually drive it.  The lack of power shows up extremely noticeable at cruising speed.  The relative light weight helps (a bit) from a stop. I couldn't imagine one at altitude... Though I guess there might be some charm to just keeping it floored all the time (but then you have to deal with terrible engine sounds).

You live at altitude - GET A TURBO

The electric cruising range is barely going to be noticeable.  Add in days of using the heat, AC, or somewhat aggressive throttle input (required in something so underpowered) and it pretty much will cut that range dramatically... Then you are left with a relatively not fuel efficient car thing.

There are better Subaru choices if you want a Subaru.  Better CUV options if you want a CUV.  Sportier options if you want that...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Xer0

Plot twist!  I forgot exactly what your budget was, but the new Rav4 actually seems like a really sweet ride and it comes with a torque vectoring AWD system in the "Adventure" model apparently.  Its a good deal faster than the Crosstek too and actually looks kinda cool, imo.  Plus the hybrid is actually powerful, at 220hp, and cheap at only an $800 upcharge.

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

Pretty sure you could get a fairly nice 2018 Stelvio for ~$35k... and still enjoy driving

https://www.truecar.com/prices-new/alfa-romeo/stelvio-pricing/

CALL_911

He wants to hike, not sit on the side of the road

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

r0tor

2o6

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on November 20, 2018, 11:43:44 AM
Pretty sure you could get a fairly nice 2018 Stelvio for ~$35k... and still enjoy driving

https://www.truecar.com/prices-new/alfa-romeo/stelvio-pricing/
If a Forester equipped how he wants is more than he wants to spend, what in the fuck makes you think a $35K anything is in play? :facepalm:

And if he's fine with keeping 2 N/A cars at altitude he obviously doesn't NEED a turbo :hammerhead:

Do you shit up discussions like this on purpose or is it a compulsion you can't control?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 20, 2018, 12:04:25 PM
If a Forester equipped how he wants is more than he wants to spend, what in the fuck makes you think a $35K anything is in play? :facepalm:

And if he's fine with keeping 2 N/A cars at altitude he obviously doesn't NEED a turbo :hammerhead:

Do you shit up discussions like this on purpose or is it a compulsion you can't control?

It can fill the role well of a sporty car plus all weather SUV.  Nothing else being discussed comes close.  Gets acceptable gas mileage.  Yes it's expensive, but wtf a hybrid Crosstrek or hybrid Adventurer Rav4 can also cost $35-40k... and the Stelvio would kick the crap out of either and look better doing it.

In the age of turbo engines, it's sort of self defeating to not get one if you live at high altitude since the performance advantage is greatly multiplied at altitude.

Forgive me for having a unique thought and not hunker down in groupthinkSpin

CALL_911

Quote from: r0tor on November 20, 2018, 12:44:58 PM
It can fill the role well of a sporty car plus all weather SUV.  Nothing else being discussed comes close.  Gets acceptable gas mileage.  Yes it's expensive, but wtf a hybrid Crosstrek or hybrid Adventurer Rav4 can also cost $35-40k... and the Stelvio would kick the crap out of either and look better doing it.

In the age of turbo engines, it's sort of self defeating to not get one if you live at high altitude since the performance advantage is greatly multiplied at altitude.

Forgive me for having a unique thought and not hunker down in groupthinkSpin

Can't argue with looking better, but it won't be doing much else sitting in a garage on a lift

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 20, 2018, 12:04:25 PM

Just ignore him. He's either not trying to be helpful or he hasn't actually taken the time to read the thread and understand what my requirements are.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

BimmerM3

Quote from: Xer0 on November 20, 2018, 11:08:23 AM
Plot twist!  I forgot exactly what your budget was, but the new Rav4 actually seems like a really sweet ride and it comes with a torque vectoring AWD system in the "Adventure" model apparently.  Its a good deal faster than the Crosstek too and actually looks kinda cool, imo.  Plus the hybrid is actually powerful, at 220hp, and cheap at only an $800 upcharge.

Good thought - I didn't realize it was getting a redesign. The 2018s have terrible ground clearance for this class and according to the press release the 2019s are getting "more than half an inch" extra, which probably wouldn't be enough, but maybe they weren't specific because the Adventure trim will get extra.

That said, based on 2018 pricing, it might end up being out of my price range as a new model.

BimmerM3

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 20, 2018, 01:06:43 PM
Turbocharge a Crosstrek PHEV.

I looked into turboing a base Crosstrek. Evidently that engine was designed specifically for efficiency and thus built so that the components are as light as possible, so engine mods aren't recommended.

r0tor

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 20, 2018, 12:56:43 PM
Just ignore him. He's either not trying to be helpful or he hasn't actually taken the time to read the thread and understand what my requirements are.

You brushed off the Outlander PHEV for only having 22 miles of range (25% better than the Crosstrek) and are posting about $35k shit... While listing options involving even more expensive ev's plus a 50/50 on a Wrangler.

You are right, I have no idea what you have in mind

-meh-

CALL_911

I see rotors point. I think an M3 would suit you well.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

What about a compass or Renegade? You can have your manual AWD Cake and eat it too

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on November 20, 2018, 03:20:26 PM
What about a compass or Renegade? You can have your manual AWD Cake and eat it too

Why would anyone who knows better want to touch a FCA product?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 20, 2018, 01:31:54 PM
I see rotors point. I think an M3 would suit you well.

But why?  Charlie doesn't have any kids he needs to impress yet.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 20, 2018, 03:23:07 PM

This is a very good point.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

r0tor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 20, 2018, 03:23:07 PM

Oh oh.. Pick me teacher -raises hand -