Dealership buyback b.s.

Started by veeman, March 25, 2019, 05:22:23 PM

veeman

Got a letter today from the dealership I bought my 2017 Crosstrek from.  I financed it over 4 years and have 1 yr 8 months still to pay it off.  I still owe $10,500 on it.  The letter, in fake "handwriting", says they want to offer me a very aggressive price to buy back my Crosstrek.  And there's a fake check for $16,500.  There's some small print that price may vary dependent on miles and condition. So for kicks I check out the kelley blue book value for my car as a dealership trade in and it's around $11,500.  Every car I remember buying has these letters come from the dealership that sold me the car two or three years after the purchase date.  Why do they do this b.s.?  I know dealerships make a lot of money on selling used cars (more than new cars) but let's say I go to the dealership, with this fake check in hand, and they offer me, guess what, $11,500.  Is it worth pissing off your customers who have already purchased cars from you?  It seems to be a total scam. 

giant_mtb

Of course it's a scam. Buy Tacomas from people on the side of the road. You'll never have to deal with dealership BS again.

2o6

They want to buy your car so they can finance you a new one. Because I've bought and sold several fairly late model vehicles, I get "offers" from several dealerships to buy my car. I've even had a few actually text me asking if I wanted to trade in my car instead of sell it.

It's just a way to drum up leads and interest. It's not really a "scam". That 16k price is likely contingent on a number of things, namely you getting another car from them.

veeman

They sold me the car and I service it there so they know exactly what model I have and how many miles I have on it.  There is no way they would give me anywhere near $16 grand for it even if I bought a new car from them.  On kbb the private party value is around $15,500.  It's also a 5 speed manual so they wouldn't be able to find a buyer for it anyways  :lol:  They "should" just give me a fake check with a more reasonable amount they would really buy it back from me for.   

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: veeman on March 25, 2019, 05:43:47 PM
They sold me the car and I service it there so they know exactly what model I have and how many miles I have on it.  There is no way they would give me anywhere near $16 grand for it even if I bought a new car from them.  On kbb the private party value is around $15,500.  It's also a 5 speed manual so they wouldn't be able to find a buyer for it anyways  :lol:  They "should" just give me a fake check with a more reasonable amount they would really buy it back from me for.   

Dealer price is always a couple grand over private party.

If they gave you a realistic price, you wouldn't go straight to the dealer and get a new car. Like Kevin said, they want your payments for longer on a newer car. If they offer you "more than it's worth", you might get hooked.
Will

veeman

Yeah that's true.  Feeding the perpetual car payment life.

Lebowski

Yep.  They're fishing to get people to "upgrade" to a new car.

veeman

Anything in the mail with fake handwriting is usually garbage.  I'm assuming it's fake.  It's annoying. 

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)