Started by 12,000 RPM, March 29, 2019, 07:51:13 AM

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 29, 2019, 10:47:11 AM
I think my future garage might be:

- El Camino
- Motorcycle (or maybe not)
- Civic/Accord sedan
- Tacoma

Sedan for every day driving and Taco for camping and mountains. Although if I leave Utah the need for a Taco goes down a lot.

My ideal garage is actually similar:

-accord or some sort of sedan/hatch
-Miata
-Tacoma

It's actually going to happen too I think. My dad wants back in a Tacoma and will spec it the same way I'd want it (4x4, access cab, 6 speed manual, V6). I told him if he buys another, he can keep it as long as he wants. When he's ready for something else I'll buy it off of him and keep it at my place.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on March 30, 2019, 08:10:28 PM
My ideal garage is actually similar:

-accord or some sort of sedan/hatch
-Miata
-Tacoma

It's actually going to happen too I think. My dad wants back in a Tacoma and will spec it the same way I'd want it (4x4, access cab, 6 speed manual, V6). I told him if he buys another, he can keep it as long as he wants. When he's ready for something else I'll buy it off of him and keep it at my place.

jelly
Will

dazzleman

Quote from: r0tor on March 29, 2019, 08:32:18 AM
Good news for sedans in there

I've been a stubborn sedan owner all these years.  No trucks, no SUVs.  I like a fast, nimble sedan/car.  I don't want to drive my living room around with me, or have a big bed that I would fill with something once every 2 years.  It's all about lifestyle and image.  Some people have a use for trucks and SUVs, but I don't.  And others just like the image of owning one, though I think that the original masculine image that SUVs used to project has migrated over to pickup trucks as more and more SUVs have become chick vehicles.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Payman

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 29, 2019, 12:55:32 PM
All the whining about price is also a bit overblown, IMO. A base Ranger costs $24k, which is equivalent to $16k from twenty years ago.

Good luck finding one at that price without having to special order it. Rangers, Colorados, Tacomas, etc typically have some equipment and start in the high thirties and well into the forties at dealerships, where the better profit margins are.
https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-jeep-gladiator-costs-35-040-to-62-310-heres-1833680540

BimmerM3

Quote from: Rockraven on March 31, 2019, 01:10:26 PM
Good luck finding one at that price without having to special order it. Rangers, Colorados, Tacomas, etc typically have some equipment and start in the high thirties and well into the forties at dealerships, where the better profit margins are.
https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-jeep-gladiator-costs-35-040-to-62-310-heres-1833680540

But also because that's what people want to buy. If everyone came in and special ordered base models, that's what they'd stock. :huh:

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: dazzleman on March 31, 2019, 06:02:38 AM
I've been a stubborn sedan owner all these years.  No trucks, no SUVs.  I like a fast, nimble sedan/car.  I don't want to drive my living room around with me, or have a big bed that I would fill with something once every 2 years.  It's all about lifestyle and image.  Some people have a use for trucks and SUVs, but I don't.  And others just like the image of owning one, though I think that the original masculine image that SUVs used to project has migrated over to pickup trucks as more and more SUVs have become chick vehicles.
YUP!!!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Lebowski

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 31, 2019, 04:01:53 PM
But also because that's what people want to buy. If everyone came in and special ordered base models, that's what they'd stock. :huh:

I'm gonna guess most buyers don't special order, so what is on the lot could very well influence buying patterns.  Plus most people shop payments, the salesman/finance douche can push out the term and bring the better optioned model to or close to the same payment.

Payman

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 31, 2019, 04:01:53 PM

Nah, it's all about the upsell. They'd put more effort into pushing the higher content models than stocking stripper models.

Soup DeVille

They'll stock a few strippers; that way they can run ads that say "$199/month with nothing down!."
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

BimmerM3

Quote from: Lebowski on March 31, 2019, 04:54:31 PM
I'm gonna guess most buyers don't special order, so what is on the lot could very well influence buying patterns.  Plus most people shop payments, the salesman/finance douche can push out the term and bring the better optioned model to or close to the same payment.

Quote from: Rockraven on March 31, 2019, 05:14:42 PM
Nah, it's all about the upsell. They'd put more effort into pushing the higher content models than stocking stripper models.

I mean, I'm sure it does influence some people. But I also think there just aren't very many people who really want a 4x2, 2 door truck as a personal vehicle.

Payman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 31, 2019, 05:49:55 PM
They'll stock a few strippers; that way they can run ads that say "$199/month with nothing down!."

They rarely do, because they don't need to. I think there's a Marketplace episode (consumer show up here) that featured exactly this; blanket dealership ads that promote a low price, but when someone tries to buy a vehicle at that price, nobody has it. It's legal because you can order one at that price, but the scheme is always to upsell one on the lot that's more expensive, and like Lebowski said, match the advertised monthly payment by lengthening the term.

Payman

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 31, 2019, 05:57:41 PM
there just aren't very many people who really want a 4x2, 2 door truck as a personal vehicle.

If I were to buy a new truck, that's how I'd want it.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 31, 2019, 05:49:55 PM

I completely misunderstood what you meant when I first read this.  I couldn't figure out what strippers had to do with buying a truck.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Payman

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 31, 2019, 06:41:40 PM
I completely misunderstood what you meant when I first read this.  I couldn't figure out what strippers had to do with buying a truck.

Brings the truck-buying customers in.

MX793

Not sure if they still have them, but Ford even used to have a pole on their tailgate.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MX793 on April 01, 2019, 09:20:49 AM
Not sure if they still have them, but Ford even used to have a pole on their tailgate.
They still have them!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MX793 on April 01, 2019, 09:20:49 AM

:lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

A footnote, but it seems that Ford is the preferred brand for those who want to switch.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."