Big win for Ohio residents finally...

Started by MrH, April 03, 2019, 07:59:42 AM

MrH

Ohio borders 5 other states: Michigan, Indians, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania.  None of them require front license plates, but Ohio does.  We constantly have drivers from other states driving through, plus a lot don't follow the law here.  Probably half of the cars on the road don't have front plates.

But starting in June 2020, Ohio will no longer require a front plate.  I've been waiting for this since I started driving.

I gave up having a front plate starting with my Miata back in 2010, but it's silly to always have an infraction that you can pulled over for at any time.  I've been stopped once for it by a cop who just started and was just trying to get comfortable pulling people over.  Got a written warning.  Got a few speeding tickets and they never said anything about it.

This means the end of dealerships drilling into bumpers.  No more ugly front plates!  Freedom finally!
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

93JC

:clap:

Here in Alberta we got rid of front plates almost 30 years ago, and used to be surrounded by jurisdictions that kept them. Now the only one left is British Columbia, the fools...

Xer0

I kinda like the way off center front plates look on some cars.  My buddy had his mounted on the driver side of the front bumper on his Evo and it looked very good.

BimmerM3

I never understood why people cared so much. It's just a plate.

CaminoRacer

Utah had a bill to get rid of them but it didn't get past committee before the legislative session ended. :cry:

But they did approve lane splitting for motorcycles :rockon:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Payman

Quote from: 93JC on April 03, 2019, 09:46:39 AM
:clap:

Here in Alberta we got rid of front plates almost 30 years ago, and used to be surrounded by jurisdictions that kept them. Now the only one left is British Columbia, the fools...

and Ontario.

93JC

I qualified my statement with "surrounding jurisdictions", i.e. BC, Saskatchewan, Montana and the NWT. Saskatchewan got rid of their front plates about 15 years ago, Montana got rid of theirs a couple years ago; only one left (surrounding Alberta) is BC.

But yes, of all the provinces and territories, BC, Ontario, Manitoba and... one of the Maritime provinces, I can't remember which (NB?) still require front plates.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 93JC on April 03, 2019, 11:12:00 AM
I qualified my statement with "surrounding jurisdictions", i.e. BC, Saskatchewan, Montana and the NWT. Saskatchewan got rid of their front plates about 15 years ago, Montana got rid of theirs a couple years ago; only one left (surrounding Alberta) is BC.

But yes, of all the provinces and territories, BC, Ontario, Manitoba and... one of the Maritime provinces, I can't remember which (NB?) still require front plates.
The little sticky thing that we have to get every couple of years just goes on the back though.  No big deal.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MrH on April 03, 2019, 07:59:42 AM
Ohio borders 5 other states: Michigan, Indians, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania.  None of them require front license plates, but Ohio does.  We constantly have drivers from other states driving through, plus a lot don't follow the law here.  Probably half of the cars on the road don't have front plates.

But starting in June 2020, Ohio will no longer require a front plate.  I've been waiting for this since I started driving.

I gave up having a front plate starting with my Miata back in 2010, but it's silly to always have an infraction that you can pulled over for at any time.  I've been stopped once for it by a cop who just started and was just trying to get comfortable pulling people over.  Got a written warning.  Got a few speeding tickets and they never said anything about it.

This means the end of dealerships drilling into bumpers.  No more ugly front plates!  Freedom finally!

:rockon:

Similar situation for me. I don't have a front plate on my car. I got a warning once but mostly cops in NJ don't seem to care. We have a lot of PA traffic here so people are used to seeing plenty of cars with no front plates.

Quote from: Xer0 on April 03, 2019, 09:47:51 AM
I kinda like the way off center front plates look on some cars.  My buddy had his mounted on the driver side of the front bumper on his Evo and it looked very good.

I bought a bracket system that attaches to the lower grill on my car. A guy on the VWVortex forum custom designed it and was "manufacturing" them with a 3d printer. It actually works really well...I put it one just to see how it looks.

I took it off because I like the cleaner look without any front plate, but if I ever caught flack for no front plate I wouldn't mind this solution.

Payman

When I moved to Ontario from Nfld (no front plates) back in 2004, I had 90 days to get a front plate. I swear, on day 91 they fucking pulled me over and fined me. Really anal about it here, but that's because of the toll highways and the auto billing system, no doubt.  :lockedup:

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Rockraven on April 03, 2019, 01:37:05 PM
When I moved to Ontario from Nfld (no front plates) back in 2004, I had 90 days to get a front plate. I swear, on day 91 they fucking pulled me over and fined me. Really anal about it here, but that's because of the toll highways and the auto billing system, no doubt.  :lockedup:

My entire time living in Ontario (Woodbridge, near Toronto) I never got a ticket for not having a front plate.  :lol:

IIRC front plates weren't required when I lived in Montreal.

Payman

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 03, 2019, 01:52:20 PM
My entire time living in Ontario (Woodbridge, near Toronto) I never got a ticket for not having a front plate.  :lol:

IIRC front plates weren't required when I lived in Montreal.

Congratufuckinglations.  :lol:

veeman

My state (CT) and most surrounding states require a front plate. On my Beetle, I never put the front one on and never had a problem with police even if I was pulled over. On my current Crosstrek, I keep the front plate on because there's a big ugly black rectangle piece of plastic staring at you so you might as well keep a plate on it.

As a teenager, I always thought the Chrysler LHS was a great looking car but a front license plate on the grill completely ruined it.

Gotta-Qik-C7

BOUT EFFING TIME!! I've had a handful of cars that I didn't run front plates on in my lifetime. Back in the 90's the police made a big deal about it (Window tint also) but I haven't had any issues since then. C6 doesen't have a front plate but the 'Rolla does.....
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide