BMW Could Kill Some Of Their Most Exciting Models

Started by cawimmer430, July 29, 2019, 08:30:27 PM

cawimmer430

BMW Could Kill Some Of Their Most Exciting Models

When BMW killed the 3-Series Gran Turismo, it didn't cause much of a response other than "They still built that?" However, a new report says the company could axe a number of models which are near and dear to the hearts of enthusiasts.

According to Automobile Magazine, the company is planning to eliminate a number of convertibles including the 2-Series, 8-Series and recently launched Z4. They apparently won't be killed overnight, but rather not redesigned when their current life cycle comes to an end.

Those aren't the only models headed to the automotive graveyard as the 8-Series Coupe is also expected to die. The 8-Series Gran Coupe, on the other hand, could live.

The standard-wheelbase 7-Series is also said to be living on borrowed time and that doesn't seem too surprising as most sales come from the long-wheelbase variant. In fact, BMW doesn't even offer the standard-wheelbase model in the United States.

If that wasn't enough, the 6-Series Gran Turismo could get date with the undertaker in 2024. The X2 is also rumored to be flirting with disaster, despite being relatively popular in Europe where 36,484 units were sold last year. That number isn't terrible, but it pales in comparison to the 111,496 X1s that were sold on the continent in 2018.

While a lot of models could eventually be phased out, there a handful of new products in the pipeline. Key among them is an "emphatically sporty crossover" crossover called the X8.

Unlike the X4 and X6, the model won't be a coupe-ified version on the X7. Instead, it will reportedly be more unique and offered exclusively in M Performance and M guise. The model is also slated to offer an M Power plug-in hybrid system that features a 60 kWh battery and an electric motor with 168 hp (125 kW / 170 PS) and 184 lb-ft (249 Nm) of torque.

The company is also working on a new of plug-in hybrid and electric models including the iX3, i4 and iNext – to name a few.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/bmw-could-kill-some-of-their-most-exciting-models/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

I remember reading somewhere that BMW dealers were complaining that their dizzying array of models was confusing customers and making floor plan decisions difficult

They could probably cut 1/3 of their models and nobody would cry.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 01, 2019, 12:07:17 PM
I remember reading somewhere that BMW dealers were complaining that their dizzying array of models was confusing customers and making floor plan decisions difficult

They could probably cut 1/3 of their models and nobody would cry.

This is so obviously the case. Decision fatigue is a very real thing. Walking into a BMW dealer thinking "I want a BMW" only begets a slew of additional questions.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Xer0

Quote from: Laconian on August 01, 2019, 12:12:58 PM
This is so obviously the case. Decision fatigue is a very real thing. Walking into a BMW dealer thinking "I want a BMW" only begets a slew of additional questions.

The answer to that question goes something like this:

"Oh, you want a BMW?  Well have we got the one for you!  Just first answer these questions; do you want a sedan, coupe, or SUV?  If a coupe, do you want a 2 or 4 door coupe?  If an SUV, do you want a normal or coupe SUV?  For the sedan, do you want a normal sedan or a hatchback that looks like a sedan?"

Laconian

What if you don't have strong preferences? Throw price tags and option packages into the mix and the waters get very muddied. Maybe you want the 4-series Gran[dma] Coupe, but it's a little too expensive, but perhaps you don't really need that Performance Cupholder package, but on the other hand the 3-series GT is basically the same price and it has the...

and on and on

NomisR

That's why most car companies go with the package options with dealer add ons, also simplifies production.

Xer0

To continue at the BMW dealer:

"Dont forget to get the Sport package, but if you want it to actually be sporty you also need the Msport package and if you want it to handle well you also need to add the Dynamic Package.  Also Apple Carplay is $500 a year."

Laconian

Laconian

SJ_GTI

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen (on a car).

12,000 RPM

BMW doesn't give a fuck anymore, and it shows

That said, the only convertibles netting retail sales are the Miata, Corvette and anything over like $200K

HurricaneSteve

Yep. To me, none of the entry level luxury offerings have any appeal anymore. A Civic Si is a better car for the money than anything Acura, Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Lexus and M-B have to offer under 50 grand and even above I would question if one is getting anything of note with that extra money. The Mustang and Camaro have most of the handling chops now when compared to the Euro brands for a lot less so the advantages that were once there have pretty much disappeared.

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 01, 2019, 04:38:53 PM
BMW doesn't give a fuck anymore, and it shows

That said, the only convertibles netting retail sales are the Miata, Corvette and anything over like $200K

Laconian

Yup, mainstream cars have become really good.

I wish a near-lux marque with nothing to lose (Infiniti) would resurrect the old spirit of Acura. Nice-ish, extremely well balanced, built to high precision, nothing in excess. Our old TSX Wagon was very much in that vein. Wish it came with a stick, though.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on August 01, 2019, 09:08:07 PM

I wish a near-lux marque with nothing to lose (Infiniti) would resurrect the old spirit of Acura. Nice-ish, extremely well balanced, built to high precision, nothing in excess. Our old TSX Wagon was very much in that vein. Wish it came with a stick, though.

But the people don't want balance and precision; they want more more more status and more more more isolation from the chore of driving.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

HurricaneSteve

That would be nice. I do miss the late 90's/early 2000's when automakers still seemed to have some kind of performance ambition. I know dwindling interest has led the market to where it is today but still I yearn for that. In the meantime there are definitely deals to be had at the mainstream. A local dealer is offering a 2019 Civic Sport Hatchback 6MT (1.5T) with a lifetime powertrain warranty for a little over 20K. The only downside is that there's no Apple Carplay/Android Auto at that trim level and I'm hesitant to put in an aftermarket head unit because of the added risk of break ins. Same dealer is offering a 2018 Civic Coupe 6MT for 16K but it only has the 2.0L NA. Tough call!

Quote from: Laconian on August 01, 2019, 09:08:07 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Performance ambition goes away when every car on the market does a 15 second quarter mile or better, and the roads are infinitely more clogged than ever.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

HurricaneSteve

It is true, many people decided to start living their lives one quarter mile at a time.

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 02, 2019, 12:38:46 PM
Performance ambition goes away when every car on the market does a 15 second quarter mile or better, and the roads are infinitely more clogged than ever.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on August 01, 2019, 06:10:43 PM
Yep. To me, none of the entry level luxury offerings have any appeal anymore. A Civic Si is a better car for the money than anything Acura, Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Lexus and M-B have to offer under 50 grand and even above I would question if one is getting anything of note with that extra money.
I wouldn't say all that. As for what other cars offer that the Civic Si doesn't:

Adaptive cruise control
Leather + heated + ventilated seats
Good looks in and out
RWD/AWD
Something besides a diesely turbo 4 popper

I'd pay a premium over the Civic Si for all that if it were still fun to drive (i.e. Giulia, TLX SH-AWD, IS350 F-Sport)

Now if you don't care about any of that obviously the Civic Si is a better buy. But they do offer something for the incremental cost