Toyota Tacoma

Started by giant_mtb, May 22, 2015, 07:37:58 PM

BimmerM3

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 24, 2019, 04:09:46 PM
Been calling it the "mountain and snowflake." Never counted the peaks before, so I wondered if there were 1 peak and 2 peak mountains. Maybe earlier standards or something?

I couldn't find any references to older mountain snowflake standards in a sub-5 minute Google search. In fact, if I search for ""one peak" mountain snowflake" (extra quotes around "one peak" means that phrase is required in the result), Google stops returning results about tires. Same if I use the number instead of spelling out "one."

I even found one site making the case that the current mountain snowflake standard is outdated and should be made more stringent.

giant_mtb

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=125

What's the difference in snow traction between M+S (Mud and Snow) branded tires from the past, modern all-season tires with M+S branding and a purpose-built winter/snow tire? While many drivers probably aren't absolutely sure, it can be the difference between getting to work, getting home or getting stuck.

The original definition of M+S (Mud and Snow) tires is based on the geometry of the tread design and requires no actual performance standard to achieve. The M+S designation was first used to differentiate the knobby, bias ply tires intended for use on muddy and/or snow-covered roads from the straight rib tires used on early cars or trucks. Tires with tread designs that meet the definition may be branded with the letters "M" and "S" in several different ways (e.g., M&S, M+S, M/S, MS, etc.) at the discretion of the tire manufacturer.

Interesting.

BimmerM3

Kinda like how treadwear numbers don't have much of a standard behind them. From what I understand, they're useful for comparing tires from a single manufacturer, but that's about it.

giant_mtb

Speaking of treadwear. Some of the reviews on the Kumhos claimed fairly short life. What's your experience been?

BimmerM3

I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, but I've only had them for two years and only use them during the winter summer, so I'm not even sure how many miles are on them.

In other words, I'm probably not a good person to ask. :lol:

EDIT: "winter" to "summer"

giant_mtb

I thought you said you used them in the summer...? :lol:

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 24, 2019, 08:58:49 PM
I thought you said you used them in the summer...? :lol:

Oops. :facepalm: :lol:

giant_mtb

Big News. Incoming. Hold your britches, blow your speakers, crack a beer. Osphilate your caliphate.

Taco gets her new shoes today.

giant_mtb

Eye of the Tiger

Them big taco shoes
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Really need to re-paint my wheels. Ugh. That'll be a pre-winter project, methinks. They'll be toast after one more winter. Not too pleased...they started rusting in one winter, and I take care of my shit.

Gonna leave the center caps rusty, though. Looks kewl.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 30, 2019, 05:06:24 PM
Really need to re-paint my wheels. Ugh. That'll be a pre-winter project, methinks. They'll be toast after one more winter. Not too pleased...they started rusting in one winter, and I take care of my shit.

Strip the paint and let them rust real good.

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 30, 2019, 05:06:24 PM

Don't you love how the center caps have "Made in America" stamped in the metal (presumably referring to the actual wheel), but came with a "Made in China" sticker on the inside?

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 30, 2019, 05:35:18 PM
Don't you love how the center caps have "Made in America" stamped in the metal (presumably referring to the actual wheel), but came with a "Made in China" sticker on the inside?

YUP.  Bro, do u have the same whales?

edit. You do, don't you? I feel like I have a memory of this, or my brain is making it up.

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 30, 2019, 05:53:03 PM
YUP.  Bro, do u have the same whales?

edit. You do, don't you? I feel like I have a memory of this, or my brain is making it up.

Yeah, we've talked about this before. :lol:

EDIT:

Eye of the Tiger

As long as it's Made on Earth, I don't see the problem.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 30, 2019, 06:03:09 PM

EDIT:

Oh, is nice wheel. How do I join the wheel club?

BimmerM3

Your wheel-to-tire ratio looks better, IMO. I wish I had gotten a slightly bigger tire.  Mine are 245/65R17 but I've seen people say that they run 265/65R17 with no rubbing. Or just increase the sidewall ratio, of course.

BimmerM3

They're heavy though - my car definitely rides better on it's winter rims/tires, which are alloy wheels. I think Chris has also complained about ride quality.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 30, 2019, 06:25:43 PM
Your wheel-to-tire ratio looks better, IMO. I wish I had gotten a slightly bigger tire.  Mine are 245/65R17 but I've seen people say that they run 265/65R17 with no rubbing. Or just increase the sidewall ratio, of course.

Yeah, my stock size is 265/65/17, which is what the Grabbers were. Oddly enough, when I bought the truck it had some half-gone 245/65s, which looked pretty small, especially cause it was lifted when I bought it (see the pics on page 1 lol). 

Yours look perfect on an Explorer, but I can understand wanting something a little thicker (hence, what I just did :lol:), and it would fill that wheelwell up a bit.

How has the finish on your wheels held up?  Mine's just aboot frigged.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 30, 2019, 06:29:40 PM
They're heavy though - my car definitely rides better on it's winter rims/tires, which are alloy wheels. I think Chris has also complained about ride quality.

Yes, 100%. I'm going back to something lighter next round, especially with a bigger/heavier tire. The heft is nice at low speeds on the trail, but it's not worth it overall.  I can turn on 4WD if I need to.

Heavy wheels don't like high speed bumps or any chatter. Which is what all roads here are, especially in winter.

giant_mtb

What pressure do you run yours at?  They gave 'em to me with 40psi.

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 30, 2019, 06:33:28 PM
How has the finish on your wheels held up?  Mine's just aboot frigged.

Not bad. No big rusted spots (even the center caps are fine), but now that I see that picture above, which was from when I first got them, I don't think they're as shiny as they used to be. But I don't take particularly good care of that vehicle, if I'm honest, so maybe they'd shine back up with a good wash.

Eye of the Tiger

Oh wow, u brahs have the same tires, too. Far out.

FoMoJo

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 30, 2019, 06:03:09 PM

EDIT:

It has a bit of a sinister look.  I like it. :ohyeah:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 30, 2019, 06:42:32 PM
What pressure do you run yours at?  They gave 'em to me with 40psi.

33 psi, IIRC.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 30, 2019, 06:44:58 PM
Not bad. No big rusted spots (even the center caps are fine), but now that I see that picture above, which was from when I first got them, I don't think they're as shiny as they used to be. But I don't take particularly good care of that vehicle, if I'm honest, so maybe they'd shine back up with a good wash.

Yeah.  Winter here is just...fuckin' brutal on vehicles.  Ugh.  I wish mine still looked that good. :lol:

BimmerM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 30, 2019, 06:45:37 PM
It has a bit of a sinister look.  I like it. :ohyeah:

Thanks! People have said it makes me look like a cop.

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 30, 2019, 07:06:12 PM
Yeah.  Winter here is just...fuckin' brutal on vehicles.  Ugh.  I wish mine still looked that good. :lol:

Oh, yeah, also mine are in a stack in the garage for the winter. :lol:

EDIT: Here's the winter look. These are the factory 18" alloys.