Jeep Wrangler JL

Started by giant_mtb, December 06, 2017, 11:34:09 AM

12,000 RPM

Modern cars are being slowly killed by regulatory and shareholder constraints. It is a bit of a bummer.

Jack Baruth did a great review on a Morgan 3 wheeler and the big takeaway for me was how much people enjoyed its uniqueness. As ubiquitous as Wranglers are becoming they are still unlike pretty much anything else on the road. I can't knock someone who values that
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

My biggest gripe with Wranglers is the punk ass kids driving around blasting music they think everybody wants to hear and not clearly paying attention to what they're actually doing.

So, small beans.

CaminoRacer

I've decided I should build an old Willy's Jeep with a Mustang II front subframe and stick 335 tires all the way around. People have done lots of ratrod Jeeps, but I don't think I've seen a racecar version. (I've seen a racecar Cherokee, however)
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 10, 2018, 07:59:26 AM
Modern cars are being slowly killed by regulatory and shareholder constraints. It is a bit of a bummer.

Jack Baruth did a great review on a Morgan 3 wheeler and the big takeaway for me was how much people enjoyed its uniqueness. As ubiquitous as Wranglers are becoming they are still unlike pretty much anything else on the road. I can't knock someone who values that

This.

93JC

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 10, 2018, 09:48:48 AM
People have done lots of ratrod Jeeps, but I don't think I've seen a racecar version. (I've seen a racecar Cherokee, however)

:lol: :praise:

MX793

One of our autocross regulars is prepping an old Grancho for auto-x.  He apparently found a cheap, V8 model so he's lowering it and widening the track to make it legal.  I guess he plans to run it at our next event.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Those V8s pulled pretty good.

Galaxy

Quote from: MX793 on May 10, 2018, 07:16:51 PM
One of our autocross regulars is prepping an old Grancho for auto-x.  He apparently found a cheap, V8 model so he's lowering it and widening the track to make it legal.  I guess he plans to run it at our next event.

Is there a required width to height ratio?

MX793

Quote from: Galaxy on May 11, 2018, 02:47:40 PM
Is there a required width to height ratio?

Yes.  The SCCA calculates a rollover rating based on CG height and width, but for vehicles not listed, there's a height/width ratio guideline for event tech inspectors to use as guidance.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Galaxy

Quote from: MX793 on May 11, 2018, 04:22:06 PM
Yes.  The SCCA calculates a rollover rating based on CG height and width, but for vehicles not listed, there's a height/width ratio guideline for event tech inspectors to use as guidance.

I am assuming no one shows up in a Mitsubishi Delica Star Wagon.  :lol:

MX793

Quote from: Galaxy on May 11, 2018, 05:31:04 PM
I am assuming no one shows up in a Mitsubishi Delica Star Wagon.  :lol:

They weren't sold here, so no.

Amongst cars inelligible to compete in stock form are the Ford Fiesta (non-ST), Fiat 500 (non-Abarth), and 2nd generation Scion xB.  We've had to turn away a NISMO Juke and an SRT Cherokee.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on May 12, 2018, 05:59:02 AM
They weren't sold here, so no.

Amongst cars inelligible to compete in stock form are the Ford Fiesta (non-ST), Fiat 500 (non-Abarth), and 2nd generation Scion xB.  We've had to turn away a NISMO Juke and an SRT Cherokee.

Is the Sonic allowed?

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

BimmerM3

Quote from: 68_427 on November 12, 2018, 04:49:45 PM

Yeah there have been testing mules all over the damn place for the past few months.

veeman

Perfect pickup for those who don't really need a pickup.  I love it. 

Payman

I hope there's a 2 door cab longbed version.

heelntoe

@heelntoe

BimmerM3

Quote from: heelntoe on November 14, 2018, 02:56:32 PM
https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-jeep-gladiator-pickup-truck-this-is-it-1830439869

Wow, I think the biggest thing here is that it has legit towing capability (7,650 lbs). The Unlimited can only do 3500, and the 2-door is 2000.

68_427

3.0L v6 diesel with max towing of 7600lbs available
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

Very cool.  Kinda weird to see such a long Wrangler, though. :lol:

93JC

Payman

Quote from: 93JC on November 14, 2018, 04:14:58 PM
Likely never going to happen.

If I can't haul my ATV it's dead to me.

93JC

Long beds and especially two-door "regular cabs" are increasingly rare, almost entirely now within the purview of the fleet sales managers who sell full-size pickups in "Work Truck" trim. Most trucks are toys now; four-door vehicles that are used to shuttle the kids to soccer practice.

The Wrangler pickup is just a toy, a "lifestyle choice", and FCA will sell oodles of them. Believe me: you might give a shit about a long-bed "work truck" version, but the vast majority of potential buyers couldn't care less.

giant_mtb

Seeing a newer RCSB Silverado gives me willy a jump.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 14, 2018, 06:19:24 PM
Seeing a newer RCSB Silverado gives me willy a jump.

I got three RCSB trucks in front of my house. Willy be jumpin all up in my business.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

veeman

Quote from: 93JC on November 14, 2018, 06:07:58 PM
Long beds and especially two-door "regular cabs" are increasingly rare, almost entirely now within the purview of the fleet sales managers who sell full-size pickups in "Work Truck" trim. Most trucks are toys now; four-door vehicles that are used to shuttle the kids to soccer practice.

The Wrangler pickup is just a toy, a "lifestyle choice", and FCA will sell oodles of them. Believe me: you might give a shit about a long-bed "work truck" version, but the vast majority of potential buyers couldn't care less.

:hesaid:

It's a real cool looking toy.  Someone who actually needs a pickup like a landscaper would never get this.  A half ton work truck is gonna be cheaper and more reliable and a 3/4 ton pickup can be used to plow in the winter much better than this would.  This Jeep truck is for tailgating at the football game, going skiing, hunting, etc.   

BimmerM3

Quote from: veeman on November 14, 2018, 08:27:36 PM
:hesaid:

It's a real cool looking toy.  Someone who actually needs a pickup like a landscaper would never get this.  A half ton work truck is gonna be cheaper and more reliable and a 3/4 ton pickup can be used to plow in the winter much better than this would.  This Jeep truck is for tailgating at the football game, going skiing, hunting, etc.   

It'll still be good for off-roading too. I expect to see quite a few of these in CO. Throw a bed cover on the back and you essentially have an Unlimited with extra gear space that can also tow a decent sized camper. You can see in the picture that the soft top goes down the wall behind the rear seats, so I'm sure there will be roof kits that enclose the cabin and bed together too.

But yeah, this is a family vehicle that can go off-road, not a work truck.

Soup DeVille

If they do this they should do a troopy version.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Galaxy

The truck looks very nice, much better then the Tonka trucks. The rear end has an almost old school look like trucks of the past, the rear lights remind me of the 1980s GMC Sierra.

The one thing that bothers me is the weird cut out of the rear doors. In 4 door Wrangler this is where the wheel arch would be, but on the truck the wheels are further back. They really should have made new doors for this, since this looks like a back alley shop cobbled it together.