Rental Car thread

Started by Laconian, February 27, 2017, 08:50:47 PM

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on September 26, 2019, 11:18:05 AM
I spent about 45 minutes romping around twisty roads last night and another 30 just accelerating all-out on onramps. The motors consume up to 386kW at WOT. White knuckle shit. Eddie (afty) drove it and managed to induce torque steer on the car. God damn it is fast though. 60 to 90 in a blink of an eye. No hesitation, just a relentless and instantaneous surge.

The regenerative braking is actually quite a nice thing to have in the twisties. Lifting your foot off the pedal sheds enough speed that you can safely enter a hairpin turn. You barely have to touch the brakes.

I brought the battery from 50% to 80% at a Supercharger, it took around 10 minutes. $0.00.
So, your next car?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

Nah, but it bodes well for an exciting electric future.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on September 26, 2019, 12:09:38 PM
It will only get better now that the main auto focus is on battery development.  Should've been done a hundred years ago.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Morris Minor

I've remarked before that people's Teslahate wanes greatly as soon as they actually experience one.
My non-car-loving, mild-mannered, used-Camry-driving, friend became a fervent evangelical Teslarista... as soon as he took delivery of his Model 3.

When he gave me a ride I was like "Fuckin' 'ell, this thing's great!"
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

NomisR

Quote from: Laconian on September 26, 2019, 12:09:38 PM

Sadly, if you look at the "mainstream" offering of electric cars, they're all pretty meh.  More of a Prius type electric economy cars rather than Tesla.  Bolt is probably the best of the more mainstream offerings.

Laconian

The low-effort EVs (Soul, 500e, Focus Electric) are indeed lame. EVs built from the ground up as EVs seem to be very good, though.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: NomisR on September 26, 2019, 03:29:43 PM
Sadly, if you look at the "mainstream" offering of electric cars, they're all pretty meh.  More of a Prius type electric economy cars rather than Tesla.  Bolt is probably the best of the more mainstream offerings.

The Taycan is a good indicator, though. If the high end brands start coming out with performance EVs, cheaper ones should hopefully trickle down.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

afty

Yeah, I did get to drive Kevin's Model S and it was surprisingly fast. It's not even the fast model! Also I liked the seats better than my Model 3. It's a much bigger car but didn't drive that big.

Hitting full throttle in these cars is just hilarious. I highly recommend trying it out.

AutobahnSHO

Sounds too easy to get a ticket. Now that the maps all have speed limits, I want a mode that limits to 5mph over the limit. Then mash when possible.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 26, 2019, 08:30:45 PM
Sounds too easy to get a ticket. Now that the maps all have speed limits, I want a mode that limits to 5mph over the limit. Then mash when possible.

Better make it 20, or you'll get run over.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 26, 2019, 09:15:38 PM
Better make it 20, or you'll get run over.

fair enough, a user settable speed limiter.
Will

Laconian

Quote from: afty on September 26, 2019, 08:21:29 PM
Yeah, I did get to drive Kevin's Model S and it was surprisingly fast. It's not even the fast model! Also I liked the seats better than my Model 3. It's a much bigger car but didn't drive that big.

Hitting full throttle in these cars is just hilarious. I highly recommend trying it out.

I chauffeured my team in it and did WOT on an onramp. My manager yelled out and said that he feels so Californian because the car gave him a facelift.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 26, 2019, 08:30:45 PM
One of my favorite features in the cars I drove in Europe. Set it to 9 over and let your right foot go wild. It was great.

Still no compelling EV options out there yet. Next car years out is gonna be a caveman ICE swan song. No less than 5L of chest hair growing glory. They should have the $40K A5SB EV I want by 2030 or w/e
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

afty

GoCougs

I had a 2019 GMC Yukon 2WD w/5.3L in Hawaii for a week. Needed to safely carry/house a mountain bike for a week.

Didn't drive great - light/vague-ish steering, ponderous handling, mediocre space utilization - but a bit better than expected, esp. maneuverability in the super tight hotel's underground parking lot. How WtP came to buy these and trucks in volume is an interesting cultural study to say the least. It did do good burnouts what with limited slip rear though.

AutobahnSHO

Haha they were out of sub compacts and gave me a 4door pickup for a rental a year or two ago. I wasn't paying gas or I would say no way.

Those things are so so big. Maneuvering a parking lot was so much worse than even our minivan.
Will

afty

We're in Hawaii for vacation this week and cruising around in a Fusion Hybrid.  The car is in pretty sad shape.  38k miles, the steering wheel is not centered, bunch of creaks and rattles.  The trunk is smaller than you'd think, the battery takes up a bunch of space.  And at least at first it felt totally gutless.  I eventually figured out that it was in Eco mode, and that taking it out of that mode really improves throttle response.  Still, not a very exciting car.

Initially they tried to put me in a Malibu that had scratches on the rear bumper, stains on the seats, and carpet separating from the floor.  So the Fusion is at least a step up from that.

AutobahnSHO

Will

CaminoRacer

Yeah Fusion Hybrids definitely aren't great for luggage-heavy trips.

mzziaz

We are having a Chrysler 300 for our trip in California. That is pretty much the perfect rental for a group of four with a bit of luggage.
Cuore Sportivo

Laconian

Going to rent a car in Brussels. Last time we got a Jag XE. I hope we'll get something as plush this time.

veeman

Quote from: mzziaz on February 17, 2020, 07:46:28 AM
We are having a Chrysler 300 for our trip in California. That is pretty much the perfect rental for a group of four with a bit of luggage.

Yes!  That's my go to rental car.  Very underrated car probably because of it's Chrysler branding.  Looks good, plenty of power even in rental spec V6 form, quiet, great ride, handles well for a big car.  Other than the sport seats being a bit too hard for my taste, I love that car. 

veeman

Quote from: afty on February 16, 2020, 11:57:32 AM
We're in Hawaii for vacation this week and cruising around in a Fusion Hybrid.  The car is in pretty sad shape.  38k miles, the steering wheel is not centered, bunch of creaks and rattles.  The trunk is smaller than you'd think, the battery takes up a bunch of space.  And at least at first it felt totally gutless.  I eventually figured out that it was in Eco mode, and that taking it out of that mode really improves throttle response.  Still, not a very exciting car.

Initially they tried to put me in a Malibu that had scratches on the rear bumper, stains on the seats, and carpet separating from the floor.  So the Fusion is at least a step up from that.

My parents' have a Fusion Hybrid 3 year lease.  They're in it so far for one year and it's already been in the shop twice (both times with a loaner) for powertrain and/or battery issues.  Maybe only Toyota knows how to make a good hybrid car. 

CaminoRacer

Quote from: veeman on February 18, 2020, 09:11:06 AM
My parents' have a Fusion Hybrid 3 year lease.  They're in it so far for one year and it's already been in the shop twice (both times with a loaner) for powertrain and/or battery issues.  Maybe only Toyota knows how to make a good hybrid car. 

I think Ford licenses Toyota's hybrid system. Or at least they used to

afty

Quote from: veeman on February 18, 2020, 09:00:39 AM
Yes!  That's my go to rental car.  Very underrated car probably because of it's Chrysler branding.  Looks good, plenty of power even in rental spec V6 form, quiet, great ride, handles well for a big car.  Other than the sport seats being a bit too hard for my taste, I love that car. 

I also like the 300. Have had it as a rental car a couple times. It drives well, has plenty of power, and is pretty nice inside. A+++, would rent again.

Laconian

We tried to reserve the most haute class of all of Sixt's fleet, but it turns out we flubbed the date on the reservation :P

So now I'm driving a BMW 1-series sedan. It's disappointing! The steering is thick and has a huge dead zone on center. I have to bounce around in the dead zone to stay straight on the freeway. I don't think it's damaged in any way, I just think it's a result of BMW trying to imbue an economy car with BMW AUTOBAHNFEELMATIK on the cheap.

The ergonomics of the controls are very poor too. Far too many buttons and switches lurking in clusters which are oftentimes obscured by the steering wheel. I think my Mazda has as many features as this 1er, but it's _so_ much easier to make use of all the features.

Finally, I took a corner hard under acceleration and got a front wheel to spin. Sigh, yep.. FWD

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on February 21, 2020, 02:25:54 AM
We tried to reserve the most haute class of all of Sixt's fleet, but it turns out we flubbed the date on the reservation :P

So now I'm driving a BMW 1-series sedan. It's disappointing! The steering is thick and has a huge dead zone on center. I have to bounce around in the dead zone to stay straight on the freeway. I don't think it's damaged in any way, I just think it's a result of BMW trying to imbue an economy car with BMW AUTOBAHNFEELMATIK on the cheap.

The ergonomics of the controls are very poor too. Far too many buttons and switches lurking in clusters which are oftentimes obscured by the steering wheel. I think my Mazda has as many features as this 1er, but it's _so_ much easier to make use of all the features.

Finally, I took a corner hard under acceleration and got a front wheel to spin. Sigh, yep.. FWD

A 1 series sedan? Are you in China? Or Mexico?

Laconian

Did I say sedan? I meant hatch. :P

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 18, 2020, 09:14:32 AM
I think Ford licenses Toyota's hybrid system. Or at least they used to

Did they? I remember that the first Escape hybrid had a very similar eCVT
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)