Why The U.S. Hates Roundabouts

Started by Morris Minor, January 23, 2020, 06:36:21 AM

Morris Minor

TL;DR version - roundabouts are better & safer but it's hard to persuade Americans that they can handle them.

https://youtu.be/AqcyRxZJCXc
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Payman

Metric is easier and much more efficient, but it's the work of Commie Lucifer.

Soup DeVille

If we hate them so much, why are there so many?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

tl;dr  people that don't understand them hate them because they are probably bad drivers to begin with

MrH

Carmel, IN is the roundabout capital of the US and it's awesome.  I have friends that live there, it's a blast to hit one after another at full tilt when there is zero traffic.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FoMoJo

It might be fun to drift around a few times before going shooting off in the direction that you want.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Payman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 23, 2020, 07:31:04 AM
If we hate them so much, why are there so many?

3 main reasons:
1.   Takes up less real estate than a typical cloverleaf interchange,
2.   Can link anywhere from 3 to 6 or more streets without stop signs or traffic lights,
3.   Costs a fuckton less than an overpass.

NomisR

There's this one that was in Long Beach that people seems to be afraid of.  As you can see, people don't know how to deal with it sitting at the stop sign not knowing how to get in.

https://youtu.be/qRFKfERL5ZQ

CaminoRacer

The lack of lane lines in the circle might be confusing for a lot of people
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

RomanChariot

That traffic circle is a hot mess and would be a nightmare in heavy traffic. the road coming in from the right is a 3 lane road that splits into 4 lanes as it hits the circle. The far right lane is forced into the first exit. The lane next to that lane has to make the first exit or the lane next to it won't have the option of making the first exit but there are no lines showing that. If you watch right at the beginning of the top down view you see a car enter from the right side in the outer lane (not the one forced to exit) and proceeds straight to the inside lane and then takes the 2nd exit in the outer lane.

I love roundabouts and I have one intersection near me that was converted to a roundabout that has been a huge improvement. I have another one near me that I would love to see turned into a roundabout. However, roundabouts work best where there are only 2 lane roads connected to it. When you start adding more lanes they get too confusing for the general public.

Morris Minor

Traffic circles have stop signs. Roundabouts don't.

And on Nick's point on real estate needed. Signalized intersections take up very little space  - so you're not going to see roundabouts replacing red lights in established city centers.

Laconian

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 23, 2020, 08:17:20 AM
tl;dr  people that don't understand them hate them because they are probably bad drivers to begin with

*cough* old people.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

NomisR

Quote from: RomanChariot on January 23, 2020, 10:40:48 AM
That traffic circle is a hot mess and would be a nightmare in heavy traffic. the road coming in from the right is a 3 lane road that splits into 4 lanes as it hits the circle. The far right lane is forced into the first exit. The lane next to that lane has to make the first exit or the lane next to it won't have the option of making the first exit but there are no lines showing that. If you watch right at the beginning of the top down view you see a car enter from the right side in the outer lane (not the one forced to exit) and proceeds straight to the inside lane and then takes the 2nd exit in the outer lane.

I love roundabouts and I have one intersection near me that was converted to a roundabout that has been a huge improvement. I have another one near me that I would love to see turned into a roundabout. However, roundabouts work best where there are only 2 lane roads connected to it. When you start adding more lanes they get too confusing for the general public.

I would say the one I posted is not that bad, at least to me anyways, but most people seem to go out of their way to avoid it.  I've had to go to a business near that area and they specifically mentioned that i may need to go through the traffic circle i guess in case I wanted to avoid it.  I just found that funny.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: NomisR on January 23, 2020, 12:03:17 PM
I would say the one I posted is not that bad, at least to me anyways, but most people seem to go out of their way to avoid it.  I've had to go to a business near that area and they specifically mentioned that i may need to go through the traffic circle i guess in case I wanted to avoid it.  I just found that funny.

It's a nice big one that would be amazing to drift. Basically the size of a skidpad.

CaminoRacer

There's a tiny "roundabout" they installed here in Provo that's like a 5 foot diameter curb in the middle of a normal intersection and they removed the stop/yield signs on the intersecting road so now it's a free for all. But the center circle is so small you barely have to go around it so it's a bit scary. Basically just a free for all 4-way (no)stop. But Europe does similar things - some small towns have dots in the center of the intersection to make it a "roundabout".

Morris Minor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 23, 2020, 12:10:45 PM
There's a tiny "roundabout" they installed here in Provo that's like a 5 foot diameter curb in the middle of a normal intersection and they removed the stop/yield signs on the intersecting road so now it's a free for all. But the center circle is so small you barely have to go around it so it's a bit scary. Basically just a free for all 4-way (no)stop. But Europe does similar things - some small towns have dots in the center of the intersection to make it a "roundabout".
Sometimes the free-for-all is best - forces people to surface their attention & consciously negotiate  - rather than automatically moving off at "green-is-go" & getting killed in a T-bone.

Laconian

Sounds more like a "traffic calming device" than a roundabout. We have a few of them where I live and I see Boomers biff it all the time. :facepalm:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

shp4man

The US term is "Traffic Circle". There's a few here in SD, but most American drivers are confused by them.

Soup DeVille

Ehh, they're quite common here, have yield signs and the state refers to them as roundabouts.

Mostly no problems, but I do know some people avoid them.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

veeman

There aren't any roundabouts near where I live that I take regularly.  I don't ever purposely avoid a roundabout but I don't particularly like them, particularly ones with multiple entry/exit points and ones with two or more lanes within the roundabout. Since it's not on a road I'm that familiar with, I'll be using Waze or Googlemaps to find my way.  The accuracy/delay of current real time navigation systems makes roundabouts confusing with multiple entry/exit points.  It's hard to real time look at Waze and the road and figure out which exit you have to take.  Also, especially at night, it's hard to figure out real time which lane I should get into in the roundabout since I don't particularly know beforehand which exit I have to take.  I also don't like merging onto the roundabout if the outside lane is open but the inside lane is occupied by a car.  What if that inside lane car is trying to merge to the outside lane when I try to enter the roundabout.  It's confusing man.  Maybe I'm just an old guy.  I'd prefer a smart traffic light which changes lights based on traffic. 

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on January 23, 2020, 12:48:50 PM
The US term is "Traffic Circle". There's a few here in SD, but most American drivers are confused by them.

False. They are two different things.

shp4man

"Never cross to the center island of a roundabout"  :lol:  Der.

I prefer the Mexican traffic rules...whoever has the loudest horn goes first.  :muffin:

veeman

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 23, 2020, 01:36:01 PM
False. They are two different things.

Wow.  This is very helpful.  Never knew this. 

NomisR

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 23, 2020, 12:08:42 PM
It's a nice big one that would be amazing to drift. Basically the size of a skidpad.

I attempted it once with my Rx8... i didn't really work out too well,  I didn't want to push it too hard though since there's a police station a block from the traffic circle.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: NomisR on January 23, 2020, 02:13:38 PM
I attempted it once with my Rx8... i didn't really work out too well,  I didn't want to push it too hard though since there's a police station a block from the traffic circle.

Yeah I always dream of doing it but never have the balls to push it that hard on the street. Only in autox.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 23, 2020, 03:09:20 PM
Yeah I always dream of doing it but never have the balls to push it that hard on the street. Only in autox.

Snow. Go slow and drift.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 23, 2020, 03:19:42 PM
Snow. Go slow and drift.

All the roundabouts here except one are on US41, so they are well maintained...they don't let slippery stuff build up very often.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 23, 2020, 03:19:42 PM
Snow. Go slow and drift.

I've drifted a cloverleaf on-ramp during an ice storm before. That was awesome.

MX793

We've got a couple like that around here.  There's so little space between entries into the round about that it can be tough to actually flow into it and you see people having to stop anyway.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 23, 2020, 04:42:02 PM
I've drifted a cloverleaf on-ramp during an ice storm before. That was awesome.

I've done that too.

Unintentionally.

At about 10 MPH in Freightliner that weighed 102,000 lbs.

I shit myself.