Went full EV with a '20 Bolt.

Started by ChrisV, January 28, 2020, 08:56:29 AM

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 2o6 on January 29, 2020, 10:06:27 AM
I think in a lot of places a PHEV, Hybrid, or regular ICE + EV is the way to go. I would say that about once a week or so I do end up places that couldn't be done round trip on one charge of an EV. It would be a PITA to charge and wait, if your destination even has charging capabilities.

Yeah the only way I could justify a Bolt over a Volt is because we also have a Mazda6 (and El Camino) for longer trips if necessary
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

ChrisV

I think in a lot of places a PHEV, Hybrid, or regular ICE + EV is the way to go. I would say that about once a week or so I do end up places that couldn't be done round trip on one charge of an EV. It would be a PITA to charge and wait, if your destination even has charging capabilities.

It's surprising looking at PlugShare how many DC fast charge locations there are. For most of us, there are locations where we can "top off" or even fill up close enough to the destination or along the way that it's not much more hassle that looking around for a diesel station. And those distances are great enough that you'd want to stop for a bathroom break or food anyhow (259 miles in the Bolt is 5 hours of mostly highway driving, so adding a 20 minute stop in there instead of a 5 minute gas stop isn't really a burden). And as I learned from trying to stay within the EV range of the Volt, it's really a long ways in much of the country (yeah, out in Montana it doesn't count as far, but 259 miles here gets you 4-5 states away). For me, I go outside a 250 mile range in a car maybe twice a year. I do spend a ton on gas to go camping with the Suburban and travel trailer outside that range. But I generally stay within my mid-Atlantic region when I'm driving one of the cars and getting around on a full charge from home is easy enough, and there are enough DC fast chargers in the region that I can always top off if I need to.

Living in an apartment/condo or townhouse with an HOA can be problematic if you want an EV, and we have a lot of work to do to make that problem go away. And if your work or family situation makes you drive over the range of an EV regularly, that's an issue. But just like you don't buy a Miata for a family of 5, or a GTI if you have to tow a travel trailer or 4 horse trailer, you just get the best fit for your situation. That may not be an EV. But for most people it very well could be at this point. And it doesn't hurt that these cars are actually fun to drive. ;)
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

MrH

Yep.  I already have a sports car.  I couldn't have a full EV as my daily driver.  I drive outside of their range too often.  So now we're talking 3 cars just for me...:mask:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Do any of you have any cold weather range issues? I have a friend with a Bolt and an e-Golf, and they run into issues with freeway commutes in cold weather.

NomisR

I did notice a drop in range when I have the AC up to 74 in the morning, but since I charge daily at work and my commute is 32 miles one way, it's not really a big enough difference to effect anything. 

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 2o6 on January 29, 2020, 11:02:47 AM
Do any of you have any cold weather range issues? I have a friend with a Bolt and an e-Golf, and they run into issues with freeway commutes in cold weather.

My range drops from 230 miles in the summer to 160 miles in the winter. But my commute is 18 miles total so that's NBD. My wife's commute is like 2 miles total so she could commute for weeks before needing to charge, even in the winter. :lol:

ChrisV

Mine is showing 220 miles of range here in the dead of winter (sub 25 degrees F). it'll be up to the estimated 250+ in spring and summer. One thing is to precondition the car while plugged in, then to only use the heated seats and steering wheel when driving, to reduce how much cabin heat you need to run. Heat uses up a lot more juice than AC. The Volt's range was maximized in summer, even in 100 degree temps with the AC running. While in winter I lose about 30% of it's rated range.

I know of a guy in Chicago that drives his Bolt out to his folks house out in the Illinois flatlands, 120 miles away in the dead of winter on an interstate. He paid the $400 to have an L2 charger installed at his folks house so when he went to visit, he could charge up while he was there to get home on. He also lives in a condo in Chicago and convinced the condo association that it was a good idea to install a charger there.

GoCougs

At anything remotely close to how WtP use cars today, EVs are not a replacement en masse. Some people and/or some times? Sure.

The other issues are few people can legit afford them, no automaker can make money selling them, and EV environmental friendliness is better, but not ginormously so.

I'm predicting a play out akin to hybrids. Hybrids were to change the world, yet ~20 years since their introduction, and the Prius, and to a lesser extent Toyota hybrids, are the only hybrids sold (and in token amounts).

The ICE-powered vehicle is terribly inefficient, which mean there is ginormous room for improvement - higher CR, better materials, more transmission speeds, valve tech, etc.

CaminoRacer

Yeah I don't have a charger at home so the heat uses a lot of power. And I set the heat at a comfortable level because I'm not a hypermiler and don't have the heated seats/wheel. I also use the AC like a normal car during the summer.

Morris Minor

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Morris Minor

And... this is golden: battery thermal management on Bolt/Volt vs Leaf.
Oh dear Nissan. Ceding the field to others...

https://youtu.be/WlxBOJrEKAo
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

+1
Or have a full garage like Chris. :)
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on January 29, 2020, 11:53:27 AM

The other issues are few people can legit afford them, no automaker can make money selling them,

Umm, did you see how much this car costs? People can definitely afford them, I'm not sure if GM is making any money on them.

I'd consider one if I bought new cars, and had a garage to charge.

So maybe in a few years if I have a garage, I'll consider a used one. Would make a great city car, most of the time wife and I drive 50miles or less for the whole day. I drive about 12miles round trip most days.
Will

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

CaminoRacer

I've stopped paying attention to Bolt prices because they're all over the place depending on what state you're in. Some people in Colorado can get a brand new one for like $22k after state/federal tax credit. Which is barely more than I paid for my used one. But here in Utah none of the dealers would go under $29k and Utah doesn't have that sweet $4k tax credit that Colorado does.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on January 30, 2020, 06:53:55 PM
1 spd auto

I'm going to start referring to differentials as 1 speed automatics.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 30, 2020, 06:57:19 PM
I'm going to start referring to differentials as 1 speed automatics.

I'd rather have a 1 speed manual.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Just a clutch? Instant enthusiast cred with EV folks.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 30, 2020, 07:17:43 PM
I'd rather have a 1 speed manual.
Quote from: Laconian on January 30, 2020, 07:45:07 PM
Just a clutch? Instant enthusiast cred with EV folks.

The clutch is the component which sends juice to the wire going to the motor. Infinite modulation!
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 30, 2020, 07:57:21 PM
The clutch is the component which sends juice to the wire going to the motor. Infinite modulation!

Yesss!!!
Now, what does the skinny pedal do, again?

ChrisV

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 30, 2020, 05:56:51 PM
hahahaha Automatic Transmission.

Look at the option list...

Engine: none.

lol

AutobahnSHO

Will

AutobahnSHO

Will

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 30, 2020, 07:57:21 PM

I was thinking that the clutch would be a switch that physically disconnects the battery from the drivetrain. :lol:

Feather the clutch too much, and you set the car on fire. Just as good as the real thing!

AutobahnSHO

Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on January 31, 2020, 08:03:02 PM
I was thinking that the clutch would be a switch that physically disconnects the battery from the drivetrain. :lol:

Feather the clutch too much, and you set the car on fire. Just as good as the real thing!

But who can really choose which one smells better?
Clutch smoke, or electricity smoke?
So hard.