Some drunken clown plowed into my commuter 2014 Focus when it was parked.

Started by shp4man, February 06, 2020, 09:07:24 PM

Payman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 08, 2020, 07:02:51 AM
Yeah, don't blacken the wheels. Put steelies on it. :lol:

Seriously, silver steelies look great on small roadsters. Gives them a '60s vibe.

MX793

Quote from: Rockraven on February 08, 2020, 07:37:01 AM
Man, the Challenger convertible is awesome.  :wub:

I'm kind of surprised Dodge never offered a drop-top.  Then again, once all the extra chassis bracing is added to make up for the lack of a roof, it would probably weigh as much as a RAM 1500.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

shp4man

The whole Miatas are gay thing is amusing to me. I've heard that at least 5 times so far from various individuals.
How can a car be gay?
My standard response is "Gay? Huh, that's not what your sister said".     :lol:

Morris Minor

You said you have 2hr/day horrendous commutes. Yes I know they're wonderful but Miatas, even autos, do not spring to mind as suited for sitting in stationary traffic. As a cheap commuter appliance the Prius is perfect: comfortable, great A/C, super reliable, and built for crawling from stoplight to stoplight.
Between the two extremes: somewhat fun, plus a viable rush hour proposition, I'd say the Mazda 6.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

With an AT and perpetually nice weather, I think a Miata would be peachy in traffic.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on February 08, 2020, 08:29:25 AM
The whole Miatas are gay thing is amusing to me. I've heard that at least 5 times so far from various individuals.
How can a car be gay?
My standard response is "Gay? Huh, that's not what your sister said".     :lol:
Miatas aren't gay, but beetles are. :devil:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 08, 2020, 11:59:40 AM
You said you have 2hr/day horrendous commutes. Yes I know they're wonderful but Miatas, even autos, do not spring to mind as suited for sitting in stationary traffic. As a cheap commuter appliance the Prius is perfect: comfortable, great A/C, super reliable, and built for crawling from stoplight to stoplight.
Between the two extremes: somewhat fun, plus a viable rush hour proposition, I'd say the Mazda 6.

If I had to drive two hours in shit traffic (which I would only do for an extraordinary amount of money), I would definitely go with an automatic. I might even consider a Prius, even though I hate how they drive.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 08, 2020, 01:20:34 PM
If I had to drive two hours in shit traffic (which I would only do for an extraordinary amount of money), I would definitely go with an automatic. I might even consider a Prius, even though I hate how they drive.
I commuted to downtown Atlanta in one for about 9 months. It was perfect for disengaged just-get-me there stuff. The only thing I changed on it was to add some decent 3M window tint.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

shp4man

I'm not usually a used car recon tech, but it's a fact that every used vehicle you see on a car lot or on CL is on there for a reason.
Now, if you think about a specialty vehicle like the Miata, the reasons change. The car is limited- two seats, a small trunk- it's really a toy.
This car very likely got traded for a more practical ride, or the owner got to old or lost interest, rather than some hidden engine or transmission problems.
I tried to explain that to the wife, but she's still thinking I should get a more practical car.

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on February 08, 2020, 04:12:43 PM
I'm not usually a used car recon tech, but it's a fact that every used vehicle you see on a car lot or on CL is on there for a reason.
Now, if you think about a specialty vehicle like the Miata, the reasons change. The car is limited- two seats, a small trunk- it's really a toy.
This car very likely got traded for a more practical ride, or the owner got to old or lost interest, rather than some hidden engine or transmission problems.
I tried to explain that to the wife, but she's still thinking I should get a more practical car.
Does she have a preference, small SUV, sedan, compact, another Focus?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

shp4man

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 08, 2020, 04:22:11 PM
Does she have a preference, small SUV, sedan, compact, another Focus?

She has her own car- a 17 Fusion. In her mind, another soulless appliance is best, even though it's my damn car.

MX793

I'd just like to add that I'm sorry about the loss of your car.  That it was destroyed by a drunken clown must certainly make the situation more traumatic.  Clowns give me the creeps.
Needs more Jiggawatts

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on February 08, 2020, 04:59:50 PM
She has her own car- a 17 Fusion. In her mind, another soulless appliance is best, even though it's my damn car.
There must be some compromise.  Will the settlement from the Focus be more than the cost of the Miata?

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MX793 on February 08, 2020, 05:13:47 PM
I'd just like to add that I'm sorry about the loss of your car.  That it was destroyed by a drunken clown must certainly make the situation more traumatic.  Clowns give me the creeps.

#metoo

Laconian

Quote from: shp4man on February 08, 2020, 04:59:50 PM

The Miata crowd is pretty social. You could autocross, or do group rides...
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on February 08, 2020, 06:40:52 PM
The Miata crowd is pretty social. You could autocross, or do group rides...

This. Most of the participants are in the more mature age range. A weekend drive to somewhere interesting.

To anyone who EVER thinks Miatas are "gay"- ask them if they have ever gone go-karting. Ask if they enjoyed it. If so, tell them it's a street-legal go-kart. DONE.   
:rockon:
Will

shp4man

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 08, 2020, 05:18:07 PM
There must be some compromise.  Will the settlement from the Focus be more than the cost of the Miata?

I'll have to add about $5K.

cawimmer430

Quote from: shp4man on February 07, 2020, 08:25:36 AM
Mitsubishi has a somewhat less than stellar reputation here. I would opt for that over some other brands, though.

I know, but it's cheap and fuel-efficient. ;)
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on February 08, 2020, 10:42:28 PM
I'll have to add about $5K.
Maybe in order to retain bliss at home and still have a little zoom-zoom in your life, perhaps Mazda 3 is the answer. :huh:

I'd choose the hatch.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 09, 2020, 12:30:40 PM
Maybe in order to retain bliss at home and still have a little zoom-zoom in your life, perhaps Mazda 3 is the answer. :huh:

I'd choose the hatch.

boothisman.gif

FoMoJo

dazzleman

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

shp4man

Quote from: dazzleman on February 09, 2020, 06:41:45 PM
Get a 68 Camaro.

LOL.

I put the little car up on the lift this morning. It's box stock except for the rear shocks, absolutely no fluid leaks or evidence of body repairs. It has an interesting 4 link rear suspension with independent rears, I just realized it doesn't have a spare tire.  :muffin:
Still has the factory kit with the air compressor and sealing fluid.
Runs 0-20W oil and a Ford FL910S oil filter. The glass on the passenger side fog light is cracked. Thats it. That's all I can find. Now, if the insurance company would cut a check for the murdered Focus.... ;)

MrH

Hold out for a manual!

But NC Miatas are great.  I still miss mine sometimes.  NDs are better, but probably not worth the price premium.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV