***Today's Quick & Dirty Shoot: 1978 Mercedes-Benz 280S W116***

Started by cawimmer430, February 14, 2020, 11:06:00 AM

cawimmer430

The most beautiful S-Class ever, the W116. F*ck, I love this design. I love it! :wub:

This is the base model carburated 280S with the legendary M110 2.8-l inline-6 engine. I was able to drive the car and was amazed at how quickly it starts and how smooth this old inline-6 with only 134,000 km is. There's not even a choke inside the car to regulate the fuel-air mixture! I'd forgotten that Mercedes' from this period have an accelerator which only reacts once it's depressed by about a third of the way!  :tounge:

For a base model (the more powerful models were the 280SE(SEL), 350SE(SEL), 450SE(SEL) and 450SEL 6.9, and sold exclusively in North America was the 300SDL Turbodiesel), this thing is pretty well-equipped for the time: sunroof, automatic transmission, wooden interior, real leather seats as well as front AND rear (yep, rear!) heated seats.

This particular car has a tragic incident attached to it. It belonged to a prominent German businessman named Harry Hinsch who was brutally murdered in his residence in 2008 (multiple stabbings). The car then ended up with his sister and eventually found its way to the current business which wants to sell it.

What a beauty. I absolutely love the W116 S-Class; hands down the most beautiful S-Class ever.  :wub: :wub: :wub:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

Great lines.  Beautiful car.

Pretty high end camera equipment.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 14, 2020, 11:26:06 AM
Great lines.  Beautiful car.

Pretty high end camera equipment.

I absolutely adore the W116 design. The US-version was ruined with the sealed-beam headlights and those hideous 5-mph bumpers.  :cry:

My Nikon D3s is like from 2012. Still works. I think Nikon is now offering the latest version, the D6 (there was the D4 and D5) and I didn't like how the D4 felt. The buttons I use the most were not logically arranged, hence I kept my D3s. And those lights are my "cheap" Elinchrom 400W lights. I have three more of them at home plus two 1200W lights and two 1200W studio lights.  :lol:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

I'm impressed with the building as well, all those arches and cobblestones.  How old is it?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 15, 2020, 08:37:48 AM
I'm impressed with the building as well, all those arches and cobblestones.  How old is it?

It's an old animal stall I believe and belongs to the farm. My buddy is renting that space from the farmer. Not sure how old it is. Could be from the 1950s, could be from the 1800s. ;)

Some more pics hopefully showing more of the surroundings.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

shp4man

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: veeman on February 18, 2020, 02:46:57 PM
I love headlight wipers

Back in the day that was some crazy feature! This base model 280S was really loaded for the time.

But what really impressed was the way it started. This is a carbureted engine! I couldn't even locate a choke anywhere inside the cabin.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 20, 2020, 07:52:26 AM
Back in the day that was some crazy feature! This base model 280S was really loaded for the time.

But what really impressed was the way it started. This is a carbureted engine! I couldn't even locate a choke anywhere inside the cabin.
Automatic chokes were common as far back as the '50s in NA, but my '70 Alfa Spider had a manual choke.  I don't know if this was common in European cars.

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 20, 2020, 09:01:27 AM
Automatic chokes were common as far back as the '50s in NA, but my '70 Alfa Spider had a manual choke.  I don't know if this was common in European cars.

The last carburated car I rode in was a 1969 Mercedes-Benz 220 (W115) and it had a manual choke. I'm no expert on this issue but did this 280S have an automatic choke?

www.wimmerfotografie.de