Ontario's License Plate

Started by Laconian, February 19, 2020, 08:10:57 AM

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Canadian 'SPINners, have you guys seen these in use yet?

Payman

Lol not yet, but we're having a good laugh. A few more millions of our tax $ should figure it out. I think we should have held a contest for grade 4 students to come up with the new design, with free Leafs tickets for the winner.

MrH

I feel like there's some bank heist genius in the background who designed this and snuck it through.

I'm just glad my state FINALLY ended the front license plate madness.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rockraven on February 19, 2020, 08:25:41 AM
Lol not yet, but we're having a good laugh. A few more millions of our tax $ should figure it out. I think we should have held a contest for grade 4 students to come up with the new design, with free Leafs tickets for the winner.

In 4th grade, I probably would have designed a plate with cats all over it, some of them definitley pooping.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

I'm fine with them not being able to be read. :huh:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 19, 2020, 08:53:21 AM
I'm fine with them not being able to be read. :huh:

Just wait 'til you're the victim of a hit and run. Legible plates are a critical part of keeping people accountable for actual harmful driving.

Laconian

So, from my perspective, it looks like the Scotchlite layer of the plate underneath just totally overwhelms the reflectivity of the dinky plastic vinyl alphanumerics.

Payman

Quote from: Laconian on February 19, 2020, 08:55:18 AM
Just wait 'til you're the victim of a hit and run. Legible plates are a critical part of keeping people accountable for actual harmful driving.

I believe he's referring to our toll hwys, which needs legible plates so they can bill you.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on February 19, 2020, 08:27:50 AM

Did they really? Awesome.

Utah introduced a bill to get rid of them last year, so I wrote to my rep to support it. Unfortunately it didn't go anywhere. Then this year someone else introduced a bill to make a missing front plate a primary offense so that cops could pull you over for it. (Right now it's just a secondary offense so they have to have another reason to pull you over first). Luckily that got a decent amount of backlash and went to committee to die, but it still seems like they're going backwards.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Payman

Yeah, amongst this embarrassment we still have front fucking plates, and we DO get pulled over if we don't have one.  :facepalm:

veeman

Totally effed up.  Can't read the plate at night under bright lights. 

Connecticut requires a front plate but I never had one on my Beetle and no police officer ever bothered me about it.  The Crosstrek I put one on because it has a dedicated ugly black rectangle in the front where it's supposed to go. 

Laconian

Quote from: Rockraven on February 19, 2020, 09:05:53 AM
I believe he's referring to our toll hwys, which needs legible plates so they can bill you.

Oh I know, but I'm just saying that illegibility cuts both ways.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on February 19, 2020, 08:55:18 AM
Oh, Doug Ford, no wonder they're so crappy.

Must've had them printed up in one of his label shops.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MrH on February 19, 2020, 08:27:50 AM

:hesaid:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

MX793

I guess people won't need to go out and buy those stupid fresnel or tinted lenses that make their plates harder to read by cameras, plate scanners, or human officers.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Northlands

Looks like Leafs plates. These are going to be the default plates?

We have sports plates in MB, but they are at least reflective.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 19, 2020, 09:50:39 AM
Did they really? Awesome.

Utah introduced a bill to get rid of them last year, so I wrote to my rep to support it. Unfortunately it didn't go anywhere. Then this year someone else introduced a bill to make a missing front plate a primary offense so that cops could pull you over for it. (Right now it's just a secondary offense so they have to have another reason to pull you over first). Luckily that got a decent amount of backlash and went to committee to die, but it still seems like they're going backwards.

Front plates waste fuel because:

1) increased weight
B) increased aerodynamic drag

and therefore, front plates cause:

3) Global Warming

Payman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 19, 2020, 05:19:17 PM
Front plates waste fuel because:

1) increased weight
B) increased aerodynamic drag

and therefore, front plates cause:

3) Global Warming

You fergot they block cooling air and the motors run hotter

FoMoJo

I don't understand the design of the plate.  What's that light blue stripe supposed to mean?

Payman

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 19, 2020, 05:43:54 PM
I don't understand the design of the plate.  What's that light blue stripe supposed to mean?

Fuck knows. But you know they paid some design firm millions for it.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rockraven on February 19, 2020, 05:49:23 PM
Fuck knows. But you know they paid some design firm millions for it.

Or some intern a day's wage before they said "looks good, send it."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rockraven on February 19, 2020, 05:30:27 PM
You fergot they block cooling air and the motors run hotter

More warming!!!!