CR-V engine problems

Started by Payman, October 05, 2018, 12:37:56 PM

Morris Minor

I'm less than happy. My plan was to keep this car for 10 years. Now I see a complicated future of class action law suits, lemon law buybacks, warranty extensions, vastly reduced residual values, clueless & defensive dealers etc.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 16, 2018, 10:08:56 AM
I'm less than happy. My plan was to keep this car for 10 years. Now I see a complicated future of class action law suits, lemon law buybacks, warranty extensions, vastly reduced residual values, clueless & defensive dealers etc.

Shoulda bought a Giulia.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

2o6

It'll prolly be fine. Loads of cars have manufacturer issues, and arguably Toyota and Honda have had similar defacto ones they never owned up to. The 2006-2009 Civic is known for cracking blocks, yet there's still ones out there just fine wth well over 200k with minimal maitenence.

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 16, 2018, 10:35:56 AM
Yes, but I've never heard them referred to like that. Titanium coated, yes.

I think it's actually mostly iron/iron oxide

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 565 on October 16, 2018, 12:38:16 PM
I think it's actually mostly iron/iron oxide

Could be. The two plasma deposition processes I'm familiar with are titanium dioxide and chromium/silicone. 
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

12,000 RPM

If you were gonna keep it for 10 years, resale value is essentially a non-issue. Realistically, I'd wager this could be monitored with more frequent oil checks, but for the most part I wouldn't be worried. I still see tranny bomb Acura TLs & Honda Odysseys running around. Honda has the cash and impetus to make good on this issue.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 16, 2018, 01:05:52 PM
If you were gonna keep it for 10 years, resale value is essentially a non-issue. Realistically, I'd wager this could be monitored with more frequent oil checks, but for the most part I wouldn't be worried. I still see tranny bomb Acura TLs & Honda Odysseys running around. Honda has the cash and impetus to make good on this issue.

Honda engines proven to leak gasoline to the oil system facing a major recall: zero-to-smallish issue. No worries.

Anyone considering a BMW/Alfa/MINI here brand new with a warranty: you won't make it to work.

SportyWorld.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

2o6

Idk BMW also has issues with some of their smaller engines? The older 1.6L TRITEC is a known timing chain stretcher, and I've never known a BMW group car that didn't eat coolant and oil.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on October 16, 2018, 04:57:56 PM
Honda engines proven to leak gasoline to the oil system facing a major recall: zero-to-smallish issue. No worries.

Anyone considering a BMW/Alfa/MINI here brand new with a warranty: you won't make it to work.

SportyWorld.
The issue is serious, no argument there. The difference is in how the companies respond. Honda has to make good on this; the CR-V is probably their highest profile model and they have a reputation of reliability to uphold. BMW has a long history of shitting on customers with borked designs and not doing anything about it. Even with the low mileage you put on your cars you are 1 in 6 with major repairs (E60 DCT pump) and it's no issue for you because labor is damn near free down there. Up here something like a rod bearing failure could damn near total out a used ///M car. Not sure why you care what I have to say anyway; like MrH you seem very eager to argue with someone who supposedly has no idea what they're talking about.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Morris Minor

I did a side-by-side dipstick smell test yesterday morning from the cold engines of the G37 and the CR-V. The  CR-V's oil is 1,600 miles-old and the Infiniti's about 3,000 miles-old. The Infiniti's oil was grimier and a tiny bit down from the full mark. The Honda's is above full, looks clean, and smells of gasoline.

EDIT: I'll get my wife to a smell test blind tomorrow. Maybe it's me.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

The mind can play tricks, but... :mask:

Morris Minor

What I submitted to Consumer Reports' "Share Your Story" site:

I bought my 1.5T AWD CR-V in January 2018.  The dealer changed the oil at the recommended 5,000 miles in late July 2018.
I first noticed a smell of gasoline in our garage in early October 2018 (like we have an old 1960s-era car, with a leaky carbureted fuel system.) I also notice occasional wafts of gasoline smell, when we drive with the windows down & roof open.
In mid-October I did a did a side-by-side dipstick smell test: from the cold engines of my 70,000-mile Infiniti G37 and the CR-V.
The Infiniti's oil (3,000 miles-old) was slightly grimy, a tiny bit down from the full mark, and smelled of used engine oil.
The Honda's oil (1,600 miles-old) was very marginally above full, looked pristine-clear, and smelled of gasoline.

In late October 2018, at 6,900 miles, I took the CR-V to the dealer for a precautionary early oil change. Two service advisors had never heard of the oil dilution problem. A third told me, "We've only had two."

Other than the smell, & suspicious dipstick test result, I've had no symptoms. But common sense tells me that the the longevity of the engines is suspect.

Xer0

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 25, 2018, 05:23:13 AM
What I submitted to Consumer Reports' "Share Your Story" site:

I bought my 1.5T AWD CR-V in January 2018.  The dealer changed the oil at the recommended 5,000 miles in late July 2018.
I first noticed a smell of gasoline in our garage in early October 2018 (like we have an old 1960s-era car, with a leaky carbureted fuel system.) I also notice occasional wafts of gasoline smell, when we drive with the windows down & roof open.
In mid-October I did a did a side-by-side dipstick smell test: from the cold engines of my 70,000-mile Infiniti G37 and the CR-V.
The Infiniti's oil (3,000 miles-old) was slightly grimy, a tiny bit down from the full mark, and smelled of used engine oil.
The Honda's oil (1,600 miles-old) was very marginally above full, looked pristine-clear, and smelled of gasoline.

In late October 2018, at 6,900 miles, I took the CR-V to the dealer for a precautionary early oil change. Two service advisors had never heard of the oil dilution problem. A third told me, "We've only had two."

Other than the smell, & suspicious dipstick test result, I've had no symptoms. But common sense tells me that the the longevity of the engines is suspect.

Hmmm, scary.  Is this only known to effect the CRV or any Honda with the 1.5T?  My dad just bought a new Accord Sport with the 1.5T and its been great so far but you never know.

cawimmer430

Is this issue related to Nikasil?

I've heard some BMWs and Porsches of the 1980s and 1990s had this issue due to cylinder linings made out of Nikasil degrading over time due to high-sulphur or low quality gasoline. Do some manufacturers today still use Nikasil?
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

shp4man

I'm trying to figure out what's going on with these engines and so far I've only come up with some kind of an issue with the high pressure fuel pump.
If it was a Ford, I could fix it.  :lol:
It is a GDI engine, I'm assuming?

Morris Minor

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 25, 2018, 11:55:33 AM
Is this issue related to Nikasil?

I've heard some BMWs and Porsches of the 1980s and 1990s had this issue due to cylinder linings made out of Nikasil degrading over time due to high-sulphur or low quality gasoline. Do some manufacturers today still use Nikasil?
IMO it's an issue of a small engine that doesn't warm up fast enough - runs rich to too long, so the direct injectors keep smooshing large quantities of gas in at insane pressure, which ends up in the oil sump.

I've read that the fix is in, in Canada so far: Honda are doing a recall - starting in the northernmost climate zones and moving south.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 25, 2018, 12:50:52 PM
IMO it's an issue of a small engine that doesn't warm up fast enough - runs rich to too long, so the direct injectors keep smooshing large quantities of gas in at insane pressure, which ends up in the oil sump.

I've read that the fix is in, in Canada so far: Honda are doing a recall - starting in the northernmost climate zones and moving south.

Interesting.

You'd think that in this day and age those injectors would be "computer-controlled" in order to avoid such issues, right?

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

giant_mtb

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 25, 2018, 03:29:35 PM
Interesting.

You'd think that in this day and age those injectors would be "computer-controlled" in order to avoid such issues, right?

The injectors are computer controlled.  When an engine is warming up, the computer makes the injectors dump more fuel in.  Like an automatic choke on a carb.

shp4man

LOL, read a little about it. Earth Dreams? Hahaha...and I though Ecoboost was a stupid name... :lol:  They could reprogram the PCM to not dump so much fuel in there when cold, but I'm sure they tried that and it ran like dog shit or something.
Morris, just run the thing until it gets up to operating temp when you start it and the fuel should boil out and get picked up by the PCV system. Don't fire it up to go 50 yards to the mailbox and back, then shut it off.  ;)

cawimmer430

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 25, 2018, 03:51:11 PM
The injectors are computer controlled.  When an engine is warming up, the computer makes the injectors dump more fuel in.  Like an automatic choke on a carb.

That's what I was thinking.

So once the engine has reached its optimal operating temperature the computer should decrease the fuel-air mixture, which apparently is not happening if I understood the problem correctly.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

r0tor

Just pretend you have a rotary engine.... then accept fuel dilution as being normal and dump the oil every 3k miles
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

shp4man

If there is a rich fuel condition when warmed up, the check engine light should come on because that burns out very expensive catalytic converters.

Morris Minor

Quote from: shp4man on October 25, 2018, 04:08:28 PM
LOL, read a little about it. Earth Dreams? Hahaha...
Haha that's what I thought - all those lovely smog-inducing VOCs floating up into air. You should see the fuel filler - there's no cap - tighter than a gnat's minge to stop all those nasty fumes getting into the air.