CR-V engine problems

Started by Payman, October 05, 2018, 12:37:56 PM

Submariner

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 15, 2019, 02:32:52 PM
Naw, man. Got to let it be free. Roll down the window.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hpwJE5DEk7U ?t=02m09s
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

AutobahnSHO

Will

Morris Minor

Checked the dipstick yesterday at work, and took the paper towel I'd wiped it with back inside.
Got my colleagues to sniff it. What does it smell like?
"Gasoline"
"Ugh gasoline"
"Gasoline"
"Gasoline"

Later I had another oil sample taken. It was at 3,300 miles (car is at 18,500). I'll send it for analysis today.

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

giant_mtb

Pretty shitty that Honda isn't considering this a problem in all areas and not just northern states...

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 17, 2019, 07:42:44 AM
Checked the dipstick yesterday at work, and took the paper towel I'd wiped it with back inside.
Got my colleagues to sniff it. What does it smell like?
"Gasoline"
"Ugh gasoline"
"Gasoline"
"Gasoline"

Later I had another oil sample taken. It was at 3,300 miles (car is at 18,500). I'll send it for analysis today.
Apparently, gasoline begins to evaporate at 140 degrees.  Not sure what your oil temperature is after the vehicle warms up, but I would think that it would be 140 degrees +.  How long is your daily drive?

Old cars that I've had over the years, worn cylinders, rings, etc., no doubt leaked a good bit of gasoline into the oil, but the oil never really smelled of gasoline.  Makes you wonder just how much gasoline in blowing into your crankcase.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 17, 2019, 07:42:44 AM
I'll send it for analysis today.

Save analysis data for Honda claim?...
Will

12,000 RPM

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 17, 2019, 08:01:09 AM
Save analysis data for Honda claim?...
Thats prob the idea

The oil analysis labs probably have a treasure trove of data to help in a class action lawsuit. They can obviously tell if there's gas in the oil but also see if that gas is actually accelerating engine wear.

What a bummer. Try to do the responsible thing by buying a Honda and you get burnt. Hope it all works out man
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Morris Minor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 17, 2019, 11:10:32 AM
Thats prob the idea

The oil analysis labs probably have a treasure trove of data to help in a class action lawsuit. They can obviously tell if there's gas in the oil but also see if that gas is actually accelerating engine wear.

What a bummer. Try to do the responsible thing by buying a Honda and you get burnt. Hope it all works out man
Thanks Sporty.
I got the official (& carefully worded) notice of the warranty extension today.

Morris Minor

Yesterday I received a call from American Honda. They'd received my email raising concerns about the evident oil dilution (first oil analysis, photo of dipstick). They have no further information. Case is being closed.
I said okay. I'll soon be getting the result from the sample taken last week. I'll send that to AHM too.

Then I'll:

• Document everything.
  • Join the class action lawsuit.
  • Bite the bullet, take the loss, & trade in the car for something else. I'll find a lightly used Outback or CX-5 or something. I'm done with new cars for a while.
I'm just a tad fucked off about this. My instinct is that accelerated wear is increasing the rate at which fuel is contaminating the oil.

r0tor

Try to find a lawyer doing single claim lawsuits... With the focus transmission debacle the class action people got like a grand while people that sought out a handful of lawyers to file individual suits got 20x that amount.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

How many miles does it have?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on July 20, 2019, 04:18:08 PM
Try to find a lawyer doing single claim lawsuits... With the focus transmission debacle the class action people got like a grand while people that sought out a handful of lawyers to file individual suits got 20x that amount.

+1

I got my own lawyer for my Nissan Versa. He did a good job getting a settlement out of Nissan. PM me if you want his name.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Morris Minor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 20, 2019, 04:20:44 PM
How many miles does it have?
18,500 - the car is 18-months old.

Morris Minor

Looks like there's no need to panic yet. I'll keep an eye on things though.

FoMoJo

Maybe it just needed a longer break-in period.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

giant_mtb

18,500 miles?  That's one helluva break-in period.

Morris Minor

Note that this car does mostly long journeys. It gets thoroughly warmed up. Well it should get thoroughly warmed up.

12,000 RPM

IIRC the biggies to watch for are zinc and copper as those are what bearings are made of

I do think if there were a real problem we'd be hearing about engine failures by now. These engines have been on the road for 4 years

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 03, 2019, 07:33:15 AM
Note that this car does mostly long journeys. It gets thoroughly warmed up. Well it should get thoroughly warmed up.
Do you still smell gasoline when parked or in the garage?

Morris Minor

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 03, 2019, 08:06:37 AM
Do you still smell gasoline when parked or in the garage?
Yes, but not now with the new oil. The smell will come back after a couple of thousand miles

r0tor

Looks like your oil is already hosed after 3k miles... Don't see this being an improvement
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

HurricaneSteve

I wasn't aware of this until last week when I was researching the Honda 1.5T but is it true that GDI motors all have some kind of gasoline smell in the oil? Perhaps it was just my imagination but when I smelled the MX-5's oil at 2K miles I swear there was a bit of a gasoline scent in there.

Morris Minor

Quote from: r0tor on August 05, 2019, 06:12:22 PM
Looks like your oil is already hosed after 3k miles... Don't see this being an improvement
I dunno I'm sick of the whole thing.
Maybe I'll trade it in January - that will be two years... & it'll be at about 25,000 miles. Get a CPO Lexus SUV or something - something reliable where they don't treat you like shit.

12,000 RPM

:(

Can't go wrong with an RX.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

r0tor

Morris Minor

Hmm. Checked CR-V's oil level last night. Way above full.
So either the dealership overfilled it at the last oil change (ten weeks & 2,000 miles ago)
Or the dipstick is wrong
Or gasoline is filling up the oil pan - even in hot weather.

Doesn't smell very gasoliney though - like it does in the cool months.

Edit: maybe they overfilled it to keep the dilution ratio down & push back the total failure date.

FoMoJo

Morris Minor

Battery was dead this morning - just like the innumerable other owners' anecdotes in the CR-V forums and groups. We've had the car 34 months, & it's got 32,000 miles on the clock. They eat 12V batteries apparently & the OEM ones are cheap garbage, like the OEM tires.