2020 Mercedes GLS: First Photos Of New Full-Size SUV Coming For BMW X7

Started by cawimmer430, April 14, 2019, 09:19:10 AM

cawimmer430

From the spy shots I thought it would look bland, but it does look better than the so badly outdated model it replaces. MBUX is standard and expect a really evil CO2-emitting AMG V8.  :tounge:

2020 Mercedes GLS: First Photos Of New Full-Size SUV Coming For BMW X7

We had a pretty good idea of what the new Mercedes GLS will look like, thanks to some revealing shots of test cars spotted running around with minimal camo, but these images, courtesy of Almuraba, reveal the next big Benz in all of its production glory.

As expected, the new generation GLS looks like a pumped up version of the GLE, finally adopting the modern Mercedes design language. The company's answer to the BMW X7 manages to mask its gargantuan footprint very well thanks to the company's familiar clean curves and despite the squarer roof shape.

Compared to its more compact sibling, the new GLS features more healthy doses of chrome around the bodywork. The rear end adopts a similar but not the same treatment with the GLE as well, featuring slim LED tailights.

However, sharing stuff with the GLE isn't over as the cabin of the GLS features the same dashboard design; this isn't a bad thing necessarily, given how dated the interior of the previous model looked and how special the new design looks and feels, thanks to the twin-display setup and to the high-quality materials.

The interior will offer more space than ever, especially at the second row of seats. The wheelbase is now longer by 60mm (2.4 inches), at 3,137mm (123.5 inches), making it longer than the BMW X7's 3,104mm (122.2 inches), according to Mercedes themselves.

Customers will be offered a wide range of powertrains to choose from, including the latest 48-volt mild-hybrid units and the straight-six engines found in the GLE. AMG versions will employ the familiar twin-turbo 4.0-liter V8. All models will feature a nine-speed automatic transmission.

Mercedes has also been working on an ultra-luxury Maybach version of the GLS. The most expensive member of the range will differentiate itself from lesser GLS models by featuring unique bumpers, wheels and front grille.

The new Mercedes GLS will be officially revealed at the 2019 New York Auto Show on April 17, so stay tuned.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/04/2020-mercedes-gls-new-full-size-suv-surfaces-online-before-ny-debut/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

giant_mtb

Looks really nice. Only thing that bugs me is the four air vents running across the dashboard. Just looks like lazy space-filling.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 14, 2019, 09:33:32 AM
Looks really nice. Only thing that bugs me is the four air vents running across the dashboard. Just looks like lazy space-filling.
Yeah, I never liked that look.  The round ones look even worse.

As for the overall appearance, it's nothing distinctive.  I'd rather have a Land Rover, even with the reputation.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

cawimmer430

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 14, 2019, 09:33:32 AM
Only thing that bugs me is the four air vents running across the dashboard. Just looks like lazy space-filling.

With global warming just around the corner you need as many A/C vents as you can get. :lol:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Galaxy

The GLB (close to production) Concept is overall much more interesting.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

giant_mtb

Quote from: Galaxy on April 15, 2019, 10:44:11 PM
The GLB (close to production) Concept is overall much more interesting.

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 15, 2019, 11:10:58 PM
^Looks like a Mercedes Renegade

Right down to the wheels.

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

MB's interiors have done a 180.... 10 years ago they were mostly hideous with the angular shapes and keypads on keypads. Now no matter how cheap of a Benz you get you're getting a gorgeous interior

As standardized/regulated/commoditized as cars have become it's a mystery as to why companies aren't pouring money into design. That is the only meaningful differentiator left
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

cawimmer430

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on April 16, 2019, 11:05:19 AM
Feel free to guess if I'd take the X7 over this.

I'm not into SUVs, but the X7 actually looks pretty good. I've seen a handful around and while I initially hated it, its design has grown on me.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MexicoCityM3

The X7 has been getting stellar reviews everywhere. I will consider it when the time comes but this time I'd go for the small engine. It's enough.

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 16, 2019, 05:44:39 AM
MB's interiors have done a 180.... 10 years ago they were mostly hideous with the angular shapes and keypads on keypads. Now no matter how cheap of a Benz you get you're getting a gorgeous interior

As standardized/regulated/commoditized as cars have become it's a mystery as to why companies aren't pouring money into design. That is the only meaningful differentiator left

Agreed. And the previous GLE/GLS had really bland/busy interiors (see photo below). Those were actually my least favorite MB interiors of that era. I prefer the current digital screen plus fewer button interiors - they're also very practical and give you more interior space.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on April 16, 2019, 11:05:19 AM
Feel free to guess if I'd take the X7 over this.
Is there a current year BMW you wouldn't buy over its competition?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 16, 2019, 01:26:43 PM
Is there a current year BMW you wouldn't buy over its competition?

I'd seriously consider an E class over a 5 series; a Boxster over a Z4; a 911 over an M850i; a Giulia over a 3er (not the QV over the M)

Consider....

I think the SUVs are all best in class; not interested in the 2/4/6 however.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)