Mazda Finally Brings Diesel CX-5 To America, Confirms Diesel AWD Mazda6, Too

Started by cawimmer430, April 17, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

cawimmer430

Mazda Finally Brings Diesel CX-5 To America, Confirms Diesel AWD Mazda6, Too

While many automakers have started dropping diesels completely (be that only in America or widely), Mazda has just launched its first oil-burner in the United States. It powers the CX-5 Signature AWD compact SUV and is on display at the 2019 New York Auto Show.

The 2.2-liter Skyactiv-D unit features a sequential twin turbocharger that provides smooth response from low to high engine speeds, while increasing the low- and high-end torque. The mill produces 168 horsepower (170 PS / 125 kW) at 4,000 rpm and 290 pound-feet (393 Nm) of torque at 2,000 rpm.

Mazda says they worked closely with all federal and state agencies to ensure that the engine meets the required emission standards and passes all appropriate regulations. The unit returns an EPA estimated 27/30/28 mpg (8.7/7.8/8.4 lt/100 km / 32/36/33.6 mpg UK) in city/highway/combined, which it says, represents 15 percent better fuel economy over the equivalent gasoline model.

"As Mazda continues our climb toward premium, we will offer more powertrain choices that premium customers expect", said Mazda North America President Jeffrey Guyton. "I am happy to share that Mazda's Skyactiv-D 2.2-liter diesel engine is joining the U.S. powertrain lineup with our debut model, the 2019 CX-5 Signature AWD with Skyactiv-D."

The only standard exterior color available for the diesel-powered CX-5 is the Jet Black. For an extra buck, however, customers can have it finished in Snowflake White Pearl, Soul Red Crystal or Machine Grey.

Pre-sales of the vehicle kick off now, though first deliveries are set for this July. With an MSRP of $41,000, excluding the $1,045 destination charge, it's about $4,000 more expensive than the petrol-powered Signature trim.

As Mazda announced during the press conference, the CX-5 Signature won't remain their only diesel-powered vehicle in North America, as the Mazda6 will join the party with a low-revving engine of its own and all-wheel drive.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/04/mazda-introduces-diesel-cx-5-to-america-will-bring-diesel-awd-mazda6-too/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Xer0

What a pathetic showing after what feels like almost a decade of hype.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

2o6

The Terrain and Equinox diesels are actually really thrifty. They get literally 10MPG more than this car.

Why did Mazda even try with this

Xer0

I really hope this doesn't set a precedent were the SkyactiveX is also overhyped, late to market, and under delivers.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on April 17, 2019, 02:48:47 PM
27/30/28 mpg for a diesel? Worst diesel

That is horrible. The current CX-5 is already rated 31 highway.

HurricaneSteve

I would have considered it if it was 10 grand cheaper but as is the Grand Touring Reserve offers more for less.

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 17, 2019, 02:39:53 PM
Aww shit $41,000? Fuck that.

CaminoRacer

Maybe they want it to die but still say they tried? lol

They should stick an LS in it.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

HurricaneSteve

The European version gets 42 MPG so my guess they had to clamp down on a few things to meet US emissions standards.

12,000 RPM

Turbo FWD does 25 combined (7% worse)

But diesel generally costs 10% more than regular

And as they said the gas Signature costs $4K less

Tough maffs :hmm:

This is not a very Mazda move
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 17, 2019, 04:02:17 PM
The European version gets 42 MPG so my guess they had to clamp down on a few things to meet US emissions standards.

EU fuel economy is usually more forgiving, their test is different.

HurricaneSteve

My guess is that they're just trying to recoup the costs dumped into the diesel for America program. Still, aren't turbodiesels generally more reliable in the long run than petrol turbos?

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 18, 2019, 11:46:16 AM
Turbo FWD does 25 combined (7% worse)

But diesel generally costs 10% more than regular

And as they said the gas Signature costs $4K less

Tough maffs :hmm:

This is not a very Mazda move

BimmerM3

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 18, 2019, 12:34:53 PM
My guess is that they're just trying to recoup the costs dumped into the diesel for America program. Still, aren't turbodiesels generally more reliable in the long run than petrol turbos?

Seems like it, but that could mostly be because they're typically designed for commercial applications and are engineered to last longer.

Eye of the Tiger

Dear Mazda,

You might have something if you put this diesel drivetrain in the back seat of that old Mazda2/Toyota thing.

Kthx,
Everyone except Amerrica

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

HurricaneSteve

Ah I thought I read somewhere that the diesel versions of the Jetta & Golf are more reliable than the gas versions due to diesel motors needing to be built stronger and heavier..

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 18, 2019, 12:41:19 PM
Seems like it, but that could mostly be because they're typically designed for commercial applications and are engineered to last longer.

BimmerM3

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 18, 2019, 07:58:52 PM
Ah I thought I read somewhere that the diesel versions of the Jetta & Golf are more reliable than the gas versions due to diesel motors needing to be built stronger and heavier..

You might be right. I'm far from an expert.

2o6

I mean they usually use studied, heavier engine blocks. That's usually the ticket.

Submariner

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 18, 2019, 07:58:52 PM

And running at lower rpm.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

veeman

What good is an engine that'll run for 300,000 miles if the body you put it in will rust out in less
than 10 years?

:lol:

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

giant_mtb

Quote from: mzziaz on April 20, 2019, 10:35:38 AM
Those mpg numbers seem really bad for a diesel

Indeed.  I wonder if real-world numbers will be different (better).  Kind of sucks from a sales standpoint, though...how can you justify the cost with such a small/negligible difference?  Especially if you're leasing.

Morris Minor

I'm waiting for a new CX-7 - bigger than the CX-5 but not a three-row.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."