Mazda Finally Brings Diesel CX-5 To America, Confirms Diesel AWD Mazda6, Too

Started by cawimmer430, April 17, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

BimmerM3

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 21, 2019, 07:47:20 AM
I'm waiting for a new CX-7 - bigger than the CX-5 but not a three-row.

I was gonna suggest a Passport but I bet you're not exactly a huge fan of Honda at the moment...

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 21, 2019, 07:47:20 AM
I'm waiting for a new CX-7 - bigger than the CX-5 but not a three-row.

Why do you need something larger than a CX5? You're an empty nester and the CX5 is pretty large.

New CX5 is right around the corner from what I hear. It'll be interesting to see how their latest body style will translate to larger vehicles.

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on April 21, 2019, 12:13:31 PM
Why do you need something larger than a CX5? You're an empty nester and the CX5 is pretty large.

New CX5 is right around the corner from what I hear. It'll be interesting to see how their latest body style will translate to larger vehicles.

Extra power and space is nice.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on April 21, 2019, 12:13:31 PM

The CX5 would be considered a small CUV in the same category as Escape, CR-V, et al.

The CX7 should be considered a mid-sized CUV in the same category as the Edge, et al.

The extra size, especially width, makes quite a different to some of us as far as comfort is concerned.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Yeahhhh CX-5 is small.  Not too small, but I wouldn't call it "large."

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Morris Minor

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Laconian

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 21, 2019, 02:51:02 PM
Just wait until your ass starts to spread. :lol:

CX5 is plenty big for passengers. CX7 just adds more room behind the rear seat?

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on April 21, 2019, 06:42:26 PM
Okay, I see that the 2019 model of CX5 has grown in most dimensions vs. the 2018 model.  Presumably, it will be on a par with the 2020 Escape.  I'll have to check them both out when the lease expires, next June 2020, on our current vehicle.

MrH

It's maybe a tad smaller than a CR-V, but not appreciably so.  It's plenty big for two empty nesters.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on April 21, 2019, 06:42:26 PM

And width. There's def a difference between the CR-V and Passport with respect to hip and shoulder room. Not that the CX-5 is tight, but the CX-9 is definitely a wider car. A CX-7 would likely be a shorter CX-9, not a longer CX-5.

Morris Minor

Quote from: 2o6 on April 21, 2019, 08:50:53 PM
And width. There's def a difference between the CR-V and Passport with respect to hip and shoulder room. Not that the CX-5 is tight, but the CX-9 is definitely a wider car. A CX-7 would likely be a shorter CX-9, not a longer CX-5.
Yeah I'm going to say CX-7 will be to CX-9 as Passport is to Pilot.
(IIRC one factor that sold me on the CR-V over the CX-5 was the cargo volume .)

Latest on the CR-V is that the dash warning lights lit up like a Christmas tree on my way home on Friday: lane departure, dynamic cruise, brake system, & all the rest. Warning chimes.
Shut the car off & restarted numerous times - no dice.
It did the same thing the next morning. So I started out for the dealership. Stopped off on the way on a errand. Got back in the car to proceed - no more lights - everything normal.
Turned round & drove home.

This is why people buy Lexii and Toyotae. Deadly dull but reliable.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

MrH

I had all my safety systems light up like a Christmas tree once on the Accord.  Said a sensor was being blocked.  It was lightly snowing.  Went out to the front, and yeah, whole thing was packed with snow and salt.  Removed it all, restarted the car and it was fine :huh:  Check your front sensor?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

93JC

BimmerM3

Quote from: MrH on April 21, 2019, 07:46:35 PM
It's maybe a tad smaller than a CR-V, but not appreciably so.  It's plenty big for two empty nesters.

Depends on what the empty nesters want to do with it.

I know numerical specs aren't everything, but the CR-V has ~27% more cargo space compared to the CX-5. That's not trivial.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 22, 2019, 08:57:27 AM
Depends on what the empty nesters want to do with it.

I know numerical specs aren't everything, but the CR-V has ~27% more cargo space compared to the CX-5. That's not trivial.

Yeah but all of that space just fills with gasoline after a while.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

2o6

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 22, 2019, 08:21:11 AM
Yeah I'm going to say CX-7 will be to CX-9 as Passport is to Pilot.
(IIRC one factor that sold me on the CR-V over the CX-5 was the cargo volume .)

Latest on the CR-V is that the dash warning lights lit up like a Christmas tree on my way home on Friday: lane departure, dynamic cruise, brake system, & all the rest. Warning chimes.
Shut the car off & restarted numerous times - no dice.
It did the same thing the next morning. So I started out for the dealership. Stopped off on the way on a errand. Got back in the car to proceed - no more lights - everything normal.
Turned round & drove home.

This is why people buy Lexii and Toyotae. Deadly dull but reliable.

It sounds like a sensor was blocked...

Laconian

Did you turn off the A/C? The Subaru Eyesight system doesn't like it when the windshield gets fogged up.

FoMoJo

And some people think that that autonomous vehicles are just around the corner :nutty:.

HurricaneSteve

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 22, 2019, 01:02:46 PM
And some people think that that autonomous vehicles are just around the corner :nutty:.

Right?  These sensors can't handle heavy rain or snow/ice buildup. Just what you need...for your car to strand you in the middle of nowhere because it can't "see."

68_427

Quote from: Laconian on April 22, 2019, 11:54:20 AM
Did you turn off the A/C? The Subaru Eyesight system doesn't like it when the windshield gets fogged up.

Will have to let my mom know about this.  The salt water air in Florida could probably upset the eyesight on her new Impreza
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

When Eyesight dies, the dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree.

NO EYESIGHT!
NO LANE ASSIST!
NO COLLISION WARNING!
NO AUTO BRAKE!
NO CRUISE CONTROL!

68_427

Quote from: Laconian on May 13, 2019, 10:56:16 PM
When Eyesight dies, the dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree.

NO EYESIGHT!
NO LANE ASSIST!
NO COLLISION WARNING!
NO AUTO BRAKE!
NO CRUISE CONTROL!

Oh man she would freak 😂
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no