2020 Lexus GX Puts BMW’s Massive Kidney Grille To Shame, Adds Off-Road Package

Started by cawimmer430, June 18, 2019, 12:38:57 PM

cawimmer430

2020 Lexus GX Puts BMW's Massive Kidney Grille To Shame, Adds Off-Road Package

With everything going on at BMW recently in terms of gargantuan grilles, people have forgotten that Lexus has done something similar to the GX ever since the second-gen was updated in 2014.

Now, for the 2020 model year (or the SUV's second refresh), the grille has carried over, albeit with an updated pattern that makes it look humongous. Flanking it are the new triple-beam LED headlights, standard across the range.

Toyota's luxury car brand will be offering customers of the revised GX an optional Sport Design Package. Available for the Premium and Luxury trim levels, it adds an exclusive lower grille surround, side mirror casings, rear diffuser, matte black exhaust tip and scarlet taillights. All of these, including the 19-inch alloy wheels, sport a gunmetal metallic finish. This option also swaps the second-row seats for captain's chairs.

Another novelty is the introduction of the Off-Road Package. Limited to the Luxury grade, it adds several cameras, Multi-Terrain Select, Crawl Control, transmission cooler and protection for the fuel tank. All of these enhance the SUVs driving abilities on arduous terrains, with the aid of a 4.6-liter V8 that carries over with 301 hp (305 PS / 225 kW) and 329 lb-ft (446 Nm) of torque, linked to a six-speed automatic transmission. There's also a Torsen limited-slip differential, two-speed transfer case and four-wheel drive. As for the towing capacity, that would be 6,500 lbs (2,948 kg).

The Lexus Safety System+ is now standard across the 2020 GX lineup. The bundle of safety items includes Intelligent High Beams, Lane Departure Alert, Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection and High-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control.

Aside from the addition of the new Rioja Red leather with black headliner option (joining the Black, Sepia and Ecru), the interior has remained the same.

Full pricing details and availability will be announced in due course. Meanwhile, the outgoing Lexus GX 460 starts at $52,505 and is available in three grades called 460, 460 Premium and 460 Luxury.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/06/2020-lexus-gx-puts-bmws-massive-kidney-grille-to-shame-adds-off-road-package/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Submariner

That truck is incredibly long-in-the-tooth.  It looks cheap, is massively outdated, and ruins its legitimate off road credentials with that gaudy, dreadful grill.

Give me the last generation GX or LX any day.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Galaxy

I prefer the Toyota Land Cruiser over the Lexus version.

Lexus's design language is also gaudy, that being said.... the LC looks simply amazing, inside and out. For some reason the Lexus design language works on that.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

BimmerM3

Quote from: Submariner on June 18, 2019, 12:55:22 PM
ruins its legitimate off road credentials with that gaudy, dreadful grill.

:confused:

Exactly how does the grill make the vehicle worse off road?

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

BimmerM3

Quote from: Galaxy on June 18, 2019, 01:25:26 PM
I prefer the Toyota Land Cruiser over the Lexus version.

Lexus's design language is also gaudy, that being said.... the LC looks simply amazing, inside and out. For some reason the Lexus design language works on that.

This is the GX - it's based on the 4Runner/Land Cruiser Prado. The LX is the one based on the full-size Land Cruiser.

Galaxy

Quote from: BimmerM3 on June 18, 2019, 02:51:01 PM
This is the GX - it's based on the 4Runner/Land Cruiser Prado. The LX is the one based on the full-size Land Cruiser.

Okay, I got those mixed up.

Lebowski

I like the GX ok but this gen has been around for 10 years now it's due for a redesign not a refresh. I wish they sold the more low key Toyota branded version here.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Lebowski on June 18, 2019, 06:01:56 PM
I wish they sold the more low key Toyota branded version here.

That's more or less what the 4Runner is. Selling the LC Prado in addition would be super redundant.

MrH

Really minor update of an SUV past it's expiration date.

There's a new Land Cruiser/LX470 on the way.  That's what I'm excited about.  That happens like once a decade.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Submariner

Quote from: BimmerM3 on June 18, 2019, 01:55:43 PM
:confused:

Exactly how does the grill make the vehicle worse off road?

The lower the grill is to the ground, the worse the approach angle is.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

BimmerM3

Quote from: Submariner on June 19, 2019, 09:09:39 AM
The lower the grill is to the ground, the worse the approach angle is.

Fair enough I guess, but I doubt the approach angle is a direct result of the fact that there's a big grille (lower bumper is more likely for improved aero to increase gas mileage, IMO).

Besides, anyone who cares that much would probably just get a TRD Pro 4Runner instead.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Xer0

This thing is old as fuck but their owners love them and its been selling a stead 25K units a year for the last 5 years or so.  Why mess with a sure thing I guess  :huh:

BimmerM3

Quote from: Xer0 on June 19, 2019, 10:02:56 AM
This thing is old as fuck but their owners love them and its been selling a stead 25K units a year for the last 5 years or so.  Why mess with a sure thing I guess  :huh:

I think it's really about the base models more than the Lexus equivalents. People who buy Toyota trucks and BOF SUVs care A LOT more about reliability and longevity than having the latest and greatest tech, an extra gear, or a few more MPGs, so Toyota is pretty conservative about updating them to make sure they get it right. They could lose A LOT of customers if they fuck up the next gen Tacoma, for example.

Lebowski

Quote from: BimmerM3 on June 19, 2019, 07:18:09 AM
That's more or less what the 4Runner is. Selling the LC Prado in addition would be super redundant.

Yeah it's redundant but who cares, there's plenty of redundant products out there and they've already developed it and already have it in the US as the GX. Some people would prefer the styling of one vs the other.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Lebowski on June 19, 2019, 10:33:58 AM
Yeah it's redundant but who cares, there's plenty of redundant products out there and they've already developed it and already have it in the US as the GX. Some people would prefer the styling of one vs the other.

I'm assuming Toyota? :lol: I very seriously doubt that there are a significant number of potential LC Prado buyers out there that also won't buy a 4Runner instead.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: BimmerM3 on June 19, 2019, 10:58:56 AM
I'm assuming Toyota? :lol: I very seriously doubt that there are a significant number of potential LC Prado buyers out there that also won't buy a 4Runner instead.
The profit margins are so high it doesn't matter

25K of these at what... 60K a pop, prob with a 10% margin lets say... $150M back to shareholders for basically doing jack shit but pushing the grill size slider to 200%. I'd take that money too. And at this price point people get what they deserve
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 19, 2019, 01:00:05 PM
The profit margins are so high it doesn't matter

25K of these at what... 60K a pop, prob with a 10% margin lets say... $150M back to shareholders for basically doing jack shit but pushing the grill size slider to 200%. I'd take that money too. And at this price point people get what they deserve

I'm not talking about the Lexus - the added luxury elements make it different enough. I'm just saying that a Toyota-branded Land Cruiser Prado would be completely pointless in the states because that's what the 4Runner already is.

AltinD

Quote from: BimmerM3 on June 18, 2019, 02:51:01 PM

In Europe the Toyota Land Cruiser Prado was badge-d simply as Land Cruiser, so he's technically correct

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Morris Minor

The Prado is sold in lots of places. I guess Toyota are comfortable positioning the 4Runner here as a substitute. And I guess the Highlander.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

BimmerM3

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 26, 2019, 03:57:28 AM
The Prado is sold in lots of places. I guess Toyota are comfortable positioning the 4Runner here as a substitute. And I guess the Highlander.

I'd hardly even call the 4Runner a substitute - it's on the same J150 platform as the Prado. It's basically the same car with different sheet metal and engine/transmission options.

Same for the 2 door Prado and the FJ Cruiser.

Morris Minor

Quote from: BimmerM3 on June 26, 2019, 09:10:02 AM
I'd hardly even call the 4Runner a substitute - it's on the same J150 platform as the Prado. It's basically the same car with different sheet metal and engine/transmission options.

Same for the 2 door Prado and the FJ Cruiser.
Hah. I stand corrected. I'd thought the 4Runner was different from the Prado/Lexus GX/FJ
I remember seeing lots of Prados in Iceland - unadorned diesels with cloth seats.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

BimmerM3

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 26, 2019, 04:01:38 PM
Hah. I stand corrected. I'd thought the 4Runner was different from the Prado/Lexus GX/FJ
I remember seeing lots of Prados in Iceland - unadorned diesels with cloth seats.

:lol:

Don't worry, you're definitely not the only one. It seems like surprisingly uncommon knowledge. There was even a Jalopnik (I think) article a while back that was lamenting the fact that the US gets the GX, but not the Prado. It made me :facepalm: pretty hard.

2o6

Why would you want the Prado? It clearly shares body stampings with the GX.