Euro-Spec Jeep Gladiator Getting 256 HP Diesel V6, Will Launch In 2020

Started by cawimmer430, July 11, 2019, 08:11:11 AM

cawimmer430

Euro-Spec Jeep Gladiator Getting 256 HP Diesel V6, Will Launch In 2020

The Jeep Gladiator is finally ready to cross the Atlantic. The pickup truck will launch in the Old Continent before the end of next year, but prior to that, it will greet enthusiasts at the 2019 Camp Jeep annual get-together of Jeep owners and fans, in San Martino di Castrozza, Italy, between July 12 and 14.

Powering the Euro-spec version will be the new 3.0-liter, EcoDiesel V6. The sole engine option for Europe is estimated to push out "approximately" 260 PS (256 hp / 191 kW) and 600 Nm (443 lb-ft) of torque, and will be connected to an eight-speed automatic transmission.

By comparison, the 3.6-liter Pentastar V6, available in markets outside Europe, including North America, delivers 289 PS (285 hp / 209 kW) and 353 Nm (260 lb-ft) of torque, returns an EPA-estimated 17/22/19 mpg US (13.8/10.7/12.4 l/100 km / 20.4/26.4/22.8 mpg UK) in city/highway/combined, and will also be offered in the Middle East, when it arrives in showrooms in the first half of next year.

Offered in three trim levels named Sport, Overland and Rubicon, the Euro-spec Gladiator doesn't cut back on anything compared to its North American counterpart. It's will still get the same folding windshield, removable doors, infotainment system and other gear. The Gladiator will be imported in Europe from the Toledo plant, in Ohio.

Aside from showcasing the Gladiator at Camp Jeep, the automaker will also display other vehicles. One of them will be the Wrangler Rubicon 1941, which can be admired in the image gallery, alongside the pickup truck, below.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/euro-spec-jeep-gladiator-getting-256-hp-diesel-v6-will-launch-in-2020/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

RomanChariot

Quote from: Rockraven on July 11, 2019, 08:43:19 AM
Jesus H Christ

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/jeep/gladiator/thornhill/ontario/5_44306605_on20090112102238078/?ncse=no&ursrc=hl&orup=1_15_92&pc=K0K1L0&sprx=250

Over $18,000 dollars worth of options plus a $2000 dealer markup above MSRP. $5000 of the options are for the top (dual top, body color hardtop and headliner). They are chargine $395 for a bluetooth speaker.

Eye of the Tiger

What is this, a limited edition? Next year that thing will be worth $17K on a trade in.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

BimmerM3

Quote from: Rockraven on July 11, 2019, 08:43:19 AM
Jesus H Christ

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/jeep/gladiator/thornhill/ontario/5_44306605_on20090112102238078/?ncse=no&ursrc=hl&orup=1_15_92&pc=K0K1L0&sprx=250

Yes, they're expensive, but did you intentionally pick the most expensive one in the country? The Rubicons start like $10k less than that.

Still though, I don't think it's $15k better than a ZR2.

Quote from: 93JC on July 11, 2019, 09:52:17 AM
LOL, I was similarly shocked by the MSRP stickers I saw at the local auto show in April. I figured they'd be $45,000ish, not >>$60,000. Nucking futs.

A two-door Rubicon is $45k. Rubicons are expensive.

But the base Gladiator is $45k.

Galaxy

Strangely enough the Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, and the Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon both start at exactly € 57,000 in Germany including all taxes and fees. In the US there is a fairly substantial price difference between the two.  :confused:

Morris Minor

Just thing thing for mounting the kerb when you drop off Oliver & Charlotte off at their prep school.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

93JC

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 11, 2019, 04:41:07 PM
Just thing thing for mounting the kerb when you drop off Oliver & Charlotte off at their prep school.

Kody & Cheyenne, now. You buy a Gladiator you're obligated to rename your kids to patriotic 'Murican names.

Morris Minor

Quote from: 93JC on July 11, 2019, 04:57:31 PM
Kody & Cheyenne, now. You buy a Gladiator you're obligated to rename your kids to patriotic 'Murican names.
Oh those are British names. Gladiators are even more ridiculous on the narrow streets of Home Counties England. Therefore they will sell like hotcakes.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

93JC

Those are terribly British names. As I said, with the purchase of a Gladiator comes the caveat that you must rename your children to something more appropriate.

Galaxy

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 11, 2019, 05:27:44 PM
Oh those are British names. Gladiators are even more ridiculous on the narrow streets of Home Counties England. Therefore they will sell like hotcakes.

However it may be useful on the estates of the Cotswold, where Defenders, and Range Rovers are traditionally used.

93JC

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 11, 2019, 09:59:25 AM
A two-door Rubicon is $45k. Rubicons are expensive.

But the base Gladiator is $45k.

I get that Rubicons are expensive. It's the cost of options, and resultant "real-world" MSRPs, that's bonkers. Forget the Rubicon: a Gladiator Overland nominally starts at $50,995 but real-world examples have MSRPs well north of $60,000. I'm sure once the newness has worn off Chrysler will slap cash incentives on the hood, just like they do ever other (overpriced) product they sell, but right now these are some very, very expensive toys.

AutobahnSHO

Saw a Gladiator in the flesh- looks good, tiny truck bed though. Long vehicle!!
Will

BimmerM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 29, 2019, 06:10:51 PM
Saw a Gladiator in the flesh- looks good, tiny truck bed though. Long vehicle!!

The bed is roughly the same length and width as the majority of other midsizers with a crew cab, though not quite as deep. The crew cab Ranger isn't even available with a long bed, though the Tacoma and Colorado both are.

I think they look really goofy. The juxtaposition of the almost non-existent front overhang and the long rear overhang is too much for me. But then again, I still think that the standard 4-door Wrangler looks a little off, especially in base trims.

giant_mtb

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 29, 2019, 08:57:17 PM
Crew cab long beds always look...off.

Well that Silverado (Sierra?) is like an 8 foot bed. A regular bed on one of those is longer than a long bed on the Taco.

I think the Tacoma looks fine but that's also the exact car I want to replace the Explorer, so maybe I just convinced myself of that. :lol:

The Jeep is a short bed though, and it still looks funky. I feel like the wheels should be further back, but that might make it look weird elsewhere.

AutobahnSHO

I was looking up at the Gladiator. Daughter says the Miata is like a gokart. :lol:
Will