ARGH! (Van Trailer Hitch)

Started by AutobahnSHO, May 15, 2008, 06:20:06 AM

AutobahnSHO

So we're moving next week.
Army movers will pack everything for us- but we're getting a small uhaul trailer for the foodstuff they won't take, plus our computer, a few valuables, and the stuff we need right when we get there.

Anyway-
I went to mount a trailer hitch ($135) on our 9yr-old Grand caravan yesterday.
You remove the bumper bolts (x4) and mount the hitch, then drill two holes and add 2 more bolts.

The impact wrench got all 4 bolts out 1/8inch, then stopped. I sprayed with PB blaster and got a breaker bar-
And broke 3 of the bolts.

So get the BIG impact wrench and the other one starts moving then spinning freely- the nut welded to the inside of the bumper bracket broke the welds.. So I had to cut that one off.

NOW I have to go find some hardware and maybe have someone weld some nuts on. (Then I also have to go hookup the light kit, figure out what height ball I need, and see if I have to get some external mirrors, yada yada)

I remember why I don't LOOOOVE working on cars, the first time I've done it in 7months..
Will

AutobahnSHO

So it took another 2 hrs to clean up where we torched the old nuts/broken bolts off teh bumper, weld new nuts on, mount the hitch, throw the bumper cover back on..

At least I should never have to mess with this again- I'll pay someone next time...

:hammerhead:
Will