Audi S5 Lineup Could Gain 342HP V6 Diesel From SQ5

Started by cawimmer430, March 15, 2019, 07:00:47 AM

Laconian

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 18, 2019, 07:32:45 AM
Modern diesels do not smell. I had an Audi Q2 30 TDI for a weekend - didn't smell when the engine was cold. Left the engine idling during photos I took of it to keep the instruments on - no smell.

I dunno, it depends on how stringent your definition of "modern" is, but in France there are plenty of new-ish (5yo) diesels which leave a lingering diesel smell when they drive by.

I hate the smell of diesel on my hands when I fill the car up, too. Blechhh
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

Yep, now that I've been riding my new bike near/in more traffic, modern diesel passenger vehicles absolutely do smell.

giant_mtb

Yeah, 'cause now they have to dump deer piss in the exhaust. :lol:

Galaxy

Quote from: MX793 on March 18, 2019, 08:51:50 AM
Diesel fuel itself is smelly, and the smell lingers far longer than gasoline because diesel doesn't evaporate as readily as gasoline.

You can get diesel that no longer smells, however these are around 8 cents per liter more expensive.

HurricaneSteve

For what it's worth I love the way diesel exhaust smells. If I could let an engine run in my garage without any ill side effects, I would do it.

Laconian

Quote from: GoCougs on March 18, 2019, 03:29:49 PM
Yep, now that I've been riding my new bike near/in more traffic, modern diesel passenger vehicles absolutely do smell.

Cummins Rams are the worst by far. You can really feel the fly ash get into your lungs, and they're often modded to be ridiculously loud when they pass. I rode past one yesterday (or rather, he rode past me) which had some kind of ridiculous turbo wastegate mod that nearly made my ears bleed.

12,000 RPM

Mothers/fathers, love your sons, lest they drive brodozers for the attention you never gave them.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on March 18, 2019, 10:07:58 PM
Cummins Rams are the worst by far. You can really feel the fly ash get into your lungs, and they're often modded to be ridiculously loud when they pass. I rode past one yesterday (or rather, he rode past me) which had some kind of ridiculous turbo wastegate mod that nearly made my ears bleed.

Diesels don't even have an engine note. Just a single tone that sounds like "loud".
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 19, 2019, 09:19:11 AM
Diesels don't even have an engine note. Just a single tone that sounds like "loud".

Sure they have a tone. It's like
BLASSAAAA  Kk  K BannnnAAAAAA ASGk
BrrrRRAAS SSDSSSHHH .. J J JPTTTTSSAAA AAAAPP PP  P   P  .....   BRRROA WNNNNNNNNNN ...
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on March 18, 2019, 07:53:27 PM
For what it's worth I love the way diesel exhaust smells. If I could let an engine run in my garage without any ill side effects, I would do it.

Same. Also, asphalt. If I could drive behind a hot asphalt truck all day, dammit I would.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 19, 2019, 09:50:34 AM
Same. Also, asphalt. If I could drive behind a hot asphalt truck all day, dammit I would.
Gasoline is my weakness.  Loved the smell of gasoline ever since I was a kid.  One day when I was 8 or 10, i decided to unscrew the gas cap on the tractor, which was on top of the cowling just in front of the steering wheel, and just stand there with my nose to the open tank and breath in the fumes.  Damned near turned green and almost fell off of the platform.  Didn't put me off of loving the smell though.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 19, 2019, 09:55:28 AM
Gasoline is my weakness.  Loved the smell of gasoline ever since I was a kid.  One day when I was 8 or 10, i decided to unscrew the gas cap on the tractor, which was on top of the cowling just in front of the steering wheel, and just stand there with my nose to the open tank and breath in the fumes.  Damned near turned green and almost fell off of the platform.  Didn't put me off of loving the smell though.

Yes, gas smells good.  Though I smell it frequently enough nowadays that it doesn't get me like it used to.  Asphalt or a school bus are rarer smells. :lol:

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 19, 2019, 09:55:28 AM

Leaded, 108+ octane race gas...  Almost smells sweet.  The newer, unleaded stuff has a much harsher smell.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

Unburned hydrocarbons and tire shops. Mmm, delicious cancer.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on March 18, 2019, 02:47:13 PM
I dunno, it depends on how stringent your definition of "modern" is, but in France there are plenty of new-ish (5yo) diesels which leave a lingering diesel smell when they drive by.

I hate the smell of diesel on my hands when I fill the car up, too. Blechhh

Older diesels may smell depending on their level of exhaust cleaning, and France is way more relaxed about emissions than Germany. And I am stating that the NEWER diesels do not smell, especially once they've reached their optimal operating temperature.

I can only reiterate my experience with the new Range Rover diesels and Mercedes G350d, the Audi Q2 30 TDI and the new Mercedes E-Class Taxis (there's a taxi stand near my place in a quiet area, if a taxi idles I can't smell anything offensive when passing it).

Of course some older diesels will smell, especially many of the Eastern European diesels, which are probably entering this country without a catalytic converter and/or have their pollution control systems removed to save money. That's quite a common practice over there.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on March 19, 2019, 07:55:43 PM
Unburned hydrocarbons and tire shops. Mmm, delicious cancer.

I have my RE-71Rs sitting in our second bedroom. I can smell tire shop anytime I want!
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV