Ford Focus

Started by HurricaneSteve, November 01, 2019, 02:10:30 PM

HurricaneSteve

Not really a jalopy but it's an older car and was recruited specifically for city duty. Supposedly one owner (I think it's actually 2 but the last owner had it for 10 years) but has the 2.3L and only 72K miles at a good price. Plus I was able to score a brand new SVT suspension kit for free so I'll have that slapped on sometime soon. Wife hated the stock seats so I bought some used SVT seats that work much better. Very underrated cars IMHO.

CaminoRacer

Nice!

Those don't have the most luxurious interiors but they seem super reliable and keep on chugging forever. My old roommate had a sedan that ran strong until it got totaled in an accident.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

HurricaneSteve

They don't but the interior pieces are quite durable and the SVT bits bolt right in so that can spruce things up a bit. Focii are about the ride & drive though, which was my main priority and you're right they are quite reliable. Not as maintenance free as a Civic or Corolla but parts are cheap and relatively easy to repair.

Eye of the Tiger

Jalopy.

SVT suspension will be awesome. Lift off oversteer and left foot braking for drifting. I'm jelly. I want a Focus wagon, but SVT suspension doesn't fit in back.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Looks really clean.  One of the few distinctive looking hatches and better handling that most others.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

shp4man

The 2.3 ones were respectably quick for an economy car.

veeman

That's a first generation model which places it at least 15 years old.  Great driver.  One of the best hatchback styled mass market cars.  Has aged really well.  Congratulations!

HurricaneSteve

Sadly no but I think there are aftermarket kits that achieve a similar result. A ZXW with suspension mods would be an awesome DD!

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 01, 2019, 02:40:50 PM
Jalopy.

SVT suspension will be awesome. Lift off oversteer and left foot braking for drifting. I'm jelly. I want a Focus wagon, but SVT suspension doesn't fit in back.

HurricaneSteve

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 01, 2019, 02:40:50 PM
Looks really clean.  One of the few distinctive looking hatches and better handling that most others.

The previous owner wasn't a car person but she kept up with regular maintenance and had it garaged for most of its life. Handling is quite good and the great steering is something you just don't find in many cars over the last 15-20 years.

Quote from: shp4man on November 01, 2019, 02:46:33 PM
The 2.3 ones were respectably quick for an economy car.

Given the car's light weight, it feels like a GM V-6 in the sense that while it's not sports car quick, the ample torque (for a 4 cylinder) makes it feel relaxed in regular driving. Great for the inclines out here.

Quote from: veeman on November 02, 2019, 07:54:56 AM
That's a first generation model which places it at least 15 years old.  Great driver.  One of the best hatchback styled mass market cars.  Has aged really well.  Congratulations!

Agreed. There's a lot they got right the first time and Focii make great daily drivers. Thanks!