Viper GTS... just a crappier version of the ZR1.

Started by 565, December 23, 2012, 05:59:51 PM

MrH

Quote from: SVT666 on December 24, 2012, 10:18:19 PM
Relic? It's an all new car.

How dare you let facts get in the way of the sportySPIN?!

:lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

sportyaccordy

Quote from: SVT666 on December 24, 2012, 10:18:19 PM
Relic? It's an all new car.
Then why does it have so many of the flaws of the old one

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

sportyaccordy

Funny how invigorated you are here, why not come back to the Obama voter thread and continue in your convenient "truths"

Viper is still hard to drive at the limit and still punishing on the street... but I love its absurdity

MrH

Ah, i hadn't seen you replied.  I'll be sure to add a feisty response to my to-do list tomorrow.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

LonghornTX

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 24, 2012, 10:43:48 PM
Viper is still hard to drive at the limit and still punishing on the street... but I love its absurdity
It is definitely not punishing on the street. This car is an entirely different beast than the last gen. But, at the end of the day, this car was originally designed to be a modern day Cobra and I am glad that this gen retained the cars preference for skilled drivers.

Let us not forget that similar words were written about the ZR1 when it first came out. Back then it didn't have these tires though.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

S204STi

Oh jeeze...

FWIW if the Viper does in fact have adjustable coilovers, I'd rather than over the Vette for actual track use.  Far greater ability to tune the chassis.

Raza

The Viper is the American Countach.  Perhaps best left on a bedroom wall than in a garage. 

But damn if it isn't pretty to behold.  And such a boners car.  Yes, the Corvette is pedestrian in comparison.  Money no object, I'd take the Viper.  With my own nickels and dimes, I'd buy a base model Corvette. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 24, 2012, 10:16:10 PM
Yep... sometimes the better car, ISN'T the better car.

I like the Viper more personally... everyone and their 56 year old bachelor Uncle Rico has a Vette.

Your uncle sounds like a pretty cool dude.

Seriously, I always lol at the "exclusivity" rationale when used on cars. Very few cars are exclusive, and the list includes virtually no new cars IMO.  If you walk into a dealership, they'll take your money. That the Corvette is a far better value, far easier to live with day to day, and in the end a far better seller is hardly a negative.

Yes SportySpin, the better car is the better car.

hotrodalex

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 25, 2012, 10:35:46 AM
ZR1s aren't common anyway.
True! I see more Vipers than ZR1.
Quote from: 68_427 on December 25, 2012, 12:04:08 PM
Rather have a Z06.
To be honest I'd rather have a GS if I'm spending my own money. I wouldn't see many track days so the Z06 would be a waste of money! And i would still be able to have the targa top.........
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

SVT666

A base Corvette is what I would go for.  It's got tons more performance than I could ever use on the street and the closest track is over 4 hours away.

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

Quote from: 68_427 on December 25, 2012, 12:32:26 PM
When/if the LS7 goes away I will cry.
The Camaro is getting the LS7 in a special edition car in 2014.  Likely to be named the Z28.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Lebowski on December 25, 2012, 07:45:26 AM

Seriously, I always lol at the "exclusivity" rationale when used on cars. Very few cars are exclusive, and the list includes virtually no new cars IMO.  If you walk into a dealership, they'll take your money. That the Corvette is a far better value, far easier to live with day to day, and in the end a far better seller is hardly a negative.

Nah...

Raza hit the nail on the head with the Countach analogy. Objectively the Countach is crap. But I'd rather have one than a Corvette. Its more exclusive in that its not as common. And that's not "Sportyspin" :rolleyes:.

Lebowski

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 25, 2012, 06:12:13 PM

Nah...

Raza hit the nail on the head with the Countach analogy. Objectively the Countach is crap. But I'd rather have one than a Corvette. Its more exclusive in that its not as common. And that's not "Sportyspin" :rolleyes:.

Hit the nail on the head when he said best left on the bedroom wall?

SportySpin - where logic and objectivity need not apply.

The better car is the better car Sporty.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Lebowski on December 25, 2012, 06:17:03 PM

Hit the nail on the head when he said best left on the bedroom wall?

SportySpin - where logic and objectivity need not apply.

The objectively better car isn't always the better car for an individual... if it was we would all have used Corollas for daily drivers

Nobody would buy a Ferrari, they would just buy GT-Rs and Corvettes

Etc.

Lebowski

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 25, 2012, 06:29:23 PM

The objectively better car isn't always the better car for an individual... if it was we would all have used Corollas for daily drivers

Etc.

If a corolla had comparable performance, which it doesn't.  Analogies have never been your strong suit, Sporty.  Stick to Strawmanism and the race card.

Ferraris don't have the driveability compromises of the Viper.  Analogyfail #2 SportySpin.

Of course it's up to the individual but trying to twist objectively better sales results into a negative vis a vis the "exclusivity" angle is entirely wrong.

Catman

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 25, 2012, 06:29:23 PM

Etc.

Viper is too big

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Catman on December 25, 2012, 09:24:45 PM
Viper is too big

CatSPIN: where everything looks too big, because you are a cat.

Quote from: 68_427 on December 25, 2012, 10:46:13 PM
The Viper is shorter than the 911.

And the 911 is just a rebadged Beetle, a large sport utility vehicle.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Quote from: SVT666 on December 24, 2012, 01:05:00 AM
The ZR1 has those magneto shocks that seem to make a huge difference in any car they are installed on.

Yep, the Viper got Magneowned, that's my new neologism for when those magneto shocks let a car drive circles around another car that is similar or better on paper in the handling department.  The ZR1 magneowned the Viper the same way the ZL1 magneowned the GT500, and the same way the ATS magneowned the entire entry level sports sedan field (including the new 3 series).

I feel the need to say this again, Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

GoCougs

Quote from: Lebowski on December 25, 2012, 07:45:26 AM

Completely agree. Can't see trading the vanity of exclusivity for an admittedly lesser product.

GoCougs

Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
Yep, the Viper got Magneowned, that's my new neologism for when those magneto shocks let a car drive circles around another car that is similar or better on paper in the handling department.  The ZR1 magneowned the Viper the same way the ZL1 magneowned the GT500, and the same way the ATS magneowned the entire entry level sports sedan field (including the new 3 series).

I feel the need to say this again, Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

It is quite something else to see the rise of GM engineering. Rather than throwing power or cubic inches or exclusivity or H&HTM, GM just got down to the business of engineering.

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on December 26, 2012, 10:58:53 AM
BWI makes these, not GM...

True, however, it all began in the '90s when Delphi was a division of GM, and today GM is still pulling the strings on the technology and its application (which takes a lot of engineer too - it's simply just no bolting on these shocks) primarily because it's pretty much the only customer.