The Official MX-5 Miata Thread

Started by Onslaught, September 09, 2010, 01:35:50 PM

MX793

Quote from: MrH on October 22, 2018, 07:14:49 PM
...he has gundam door panels?

Apparently.  Don't remember those being in the car when I rode in it early in the summer.  Also wasn't a big fan of the wooden wheel from a functional standpoint.  Kind of slippery.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Xer0

Quote from: MrH on October 22, 2018, 07:14:49 PM
...he has gundam door panels?

Thats the Gundam Barbatos, a total badass in the lore  :thumbsup:

Rich

Those of you with an ND, what are your thoughts after a while of owning it?
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Laconian

Still love it after 2 years and 6000 miles :lol:

Looks amazing, drives wonderfully and comes alive when you hit the backroads, premium interior, 31mpg combined. People tend to think think it's a really $$$$ car, when in fact it's more like a $$ car.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on March 26, 2019, 04:24:29 PM
Still love it after 2 years and 6000 miles :lol:

Looks amazing, drives wonderfully and comes alive when you hit the backroads, premium interior, 31mpg combined. People tend to think think it's a really $$$$ car, when in fact it's more like a $$ car.

They really do look way upscale/fancy. 

Do you think the RF is as good as a ragtop?
Will

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 26, 2019, 07:54:40 PM
They really do look way upscale/fancy. 

Do you think the RF is as good as a ragtop?

Top down, no. It feels more enclosed than a ragtop, and it creates some turbulence and wind noise at speed. If you lived in a climate with more warm days then I think a ragtop would be preferable. Less weight, better aero, lower cost.

Top up, it's totally hawt and makes me happy whenever I enter the garage.

HurricaneSteve

Mine is only up to 1700 miles but I love it. Wish the changes made for 2019 were available when I bought my 2017 model but even so it's a wonderful car. I don't have much else to compare it to but I do wish there was a bit more feedback from the steering and it's not very practical but it's just a great driving experience. I got the Sport trim so while it's pretty basic it's not spartan.

Laconian

The trunk is surprisingly usable. The opening is generous and the cavity is tall, so you can fit about five or six full bags of groceries in there.

I do wish there was a glove compartment on the passenger side dash.

Rich

How about the windshield header being so close to the noggin?  At least compared to the na/NB. Seems like there's view of the sky and more claustrophobic. Does it get annoying?
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Laconian

Quote from: Rich on March 27, 2019, 09:26:00 AM
How about the windshield header being so close to the noggin?  At least compared to the na/NB. Seems like there's view of the sky and more claustrophobic. Does it get annoying?

I wasn't aware that this was a problem? I don't mind having the cabin feel a little enclosed. Sometimes I like to push my head back as far as it'll go into the headrest, widen my field of view, and soak in the racecar feeling.

Laconian

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Onslaught

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 29, 2019, 02:51:12 PM
The Miata IS a nice car.

The new Miata is a "nice" car. As much as I love the NA, it's not all that nice most of the time.
bah weep granah weep nini bon

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 29, 2019, 02:51:12 PM
The Miata IS a nice car.

It's a non-entity in the status car race, though.

giant_mtb

I've always thought that if I get a second vehicle, it's either going to be a Wrangler...or a Miata.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 29, 2019, 05:14:19 PM
I've always thought that if I get a second vehicle, it's either going to be a Wrangler...or a Miata.

Totally. If I had a garage (wallet) big enough, I'd get a family car, Wrangler, and Miata. Plus something to pull a camp trailer. Plus whatever wifey wants....
Will

12,000 RPM

There aren't enough good roads around here to enjoy a stick Miata. If I got one I'd have to add some cylinders.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 31, 2019, 05:49:54 AM
There aren't enough good roads around here to enjoy a stick Miata. If I got one I'd have to add some cylinders.

Head west into Miata Country.  :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Hills and mountains do good things for roads. We got them here.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on March 31, 2019, 12:42:16 PM
Hills and mountains do good things for roads. We got them here.

The mountain roads around here can be a bit sketchy. Narrow and full of Suburbans crossing the center line around blind corners. Also not always well-maintained
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MX793

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 31, 2019, 10:09:23 AM
Head west into Miata Country.  :lol:

Yeah, there are a ton of good roads in the Carolinas and Virginia if you head a bit west.  May not be able to visit daily, but not like you need to drive hours to find them, either.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Onslaught

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 31, 2019, 05:49:54 AM

What? What? There are country roads still if you look for them outside of Charlotte. And there are many mountain roads 2 hours away perfect for the Miata with it's stock motor. I've been on them with more powerful cars, the Miata is more fun then they are with less power.

Laconian

The southerner has spoken. Time to trade in that Lincoln Edge for a Miata.

AutobahnSHO

Miata would be perfect DC burb carver too- so many 35mph streets with wonky curves around here.

---------- -------------------------

Saw a red Fiata today. So sexy!
Will

12,000 RPM

You single guys with your free time. 4+ hours on public roads to drive on public roads... no thanks. I actually have country roads on my alternate commute but I'm bored of them. Bottom line is even after the crash I am still a track boi. I haven't had the desire to "just go out for a drive" in years. I'd rather take those hours and go karting at one of the dozen tracks within half an hour of here. Or fire up the sim rig.

That said not trying to shit on the Miata, I know it is amazing. Doesn't jive with me or my life at this point though, outside of a track build. Or maybe when the kids are gone and we are retired.

r0tor

You can take a half hour or an hour to go out for a joy ride for a few gallons of gas.  A track day (at least should) involve a lengthy prep, basically a whole day at the track, and usually a couple hundred bucks... Not exactly easier for a busy family man
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Onslaught

And this is one of the many reasons I don't have a wife or kids.

12,000 RPM

For me, hanging out with my family is way more fun than doing car stuff. And joyrides to nowhere are pointless to me. The street isn't the place for that anyway.