1934 Mercedes-Benz Formula Rennwagen W25

Started by cawimmer430, October 08, 2018, 04:57:54 PM

cawimmer430

In the flesh. At Mercedes-Benz Munich. Holy sh*t.  :mask:  :rockon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W25

The racers who drove these things had some serious balls. I mean look at this thing. Safety? What's that!?

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Soup DeVille

Yes, beautiful cars from the days when they'd rather be thrown clear of a wreck than wear seabelts.

It was during thks time that Hemingway wrote "There are only four sport. Mountaineering, Bullfighting, Big Game Hunting and Motor Racing. All else is mere recreation." He was of course talking about the possibility of death. Of he Formula One drivers who started the 1955 season, one in seven would die behind the wheel before they had a chance to retire.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

The original Silver Arrows, certainly the benchmark set when they appeared.

That they indirectly added to the legend of Tazio Nuvolari, perhaps the greatest Grand Prix driver that ever was, when he beat the gaggle Silver Arrows to win the 1935 Grand Prix in an under powered and outdated Alfa, does not detract from their greatness.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

shp4man

I like the way it's displayed- unrestored original.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 09, 2018, 08:13:06 AM
Yes, beautiful cars from the days when they'd rather be thrown clear of a wreck than wear seabelts.

It was during thks time that Hemingway wrote "There are only four sport. Mountaineering, Bullfighting, Big Game Hunting and Motor Racing. All else is mere recreation." He was of course talking about the possibility of death. Of he Formula One drivers who started the 1955 season, one in seven would die behind the wheel before they had a chance to retire.
Haha I have that childhood memory of the "being thrown clear" argument being bandied around by my parents' generation.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 09, 2018, 11:44:55 AM
Haha I have that childhood memory of the "being thrown clear" argument being bandied around by my parents' generation.

Just throw me right at that tree! Way better than being belted in.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 09, 2018, 12:19:37 PM
Just throw me right at that tree! Way better than being belted in.
The main reason race car drivers may have preferred to be thrown out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxzn9K7qs9w
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 09, 2018, 08:13:06 AM

At least it's usually a quick death. :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Morris Minor

You may enjoy this. The show was made in the 1980s but it's still golden.
https://youtu.be/NCP_GJ8JBOE

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

Quote from: r0tor on October 15, 2018, 06:32:03 PM
Equal parts fantastic and terrorfying
The sound of that Alfa Type B straight-8: https://youtu.be/NCP_GJ8JBOE?t=1375  :wub:
(It should be noted that if this TV program had been made today, the producers would have overlaid a bad stock music track in order to drown out the engine sounds)