Horrific Formula 3 crash

Started by Payman, November 18, 2018, 12:32:45 PM

Payman

17 yr old Sophia Floersh. She has a broken neck but will be okay. How she didn't die...  :confused:

http://youtu.be/6qzO2rHURhI

http://youtu.be/fHZWJkcBz8U

CaminoRacer

Brake failure? She flew by at more than twice the speed of the other cars.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Payman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 18, 2018, 12:39:55 PM

Cars that had slowed down for the corner, ya mean? But yeah, she was fuckin flying. Gotta be the worst non-fatal crash I've ever seen.

12,000 RPM

From what I've seen she had lost control long before the braking zone. Prob made contact with someone and lost a wheel.

Rockraven when you say she will be OK do you mean she won't be paralyzed? I haven't heard any confirmations on her injuries but I keep hearing them being called "spinal".
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Payman

The speed trap at the end of the straight clocked her at 171 mph. Backwards and airborne.  :mask:

Galaxy

Brake failure?

From reports, her car was thrown into the air by wheel to wheel contact. So no braking what so ever.

I do expect that, because of accidents like this, we will see the move to wheel covers soon.

Payman

Quote from: Galaxy on November 18, 2018, 02:11:23 PM
From reports, her car was thrown into the air by wheel to wheel contact. So no braking what so ever.

I do expect that, because of accidents like this, we will see the move to wheel covers soon.

They've said the same thing after every car launching crash for decades now. I am surprised F3 cars don't have halos yet, especially since Henry Surtee's death contributed to developing them.

Payman

I bet everyone inside that photography stand shit their pants.

giant_mtb

Galaxy

Quote from: Rockraven on November 18, 2018, 02:19:57 PM
I am surprised F3 cars don't have halos yet.

Yeah, that shocked me as well.

Payman

Something else... that temporary photo stand looks to be robustly made from Aramco, with just the perfect amount of give. On any other circuit, that structure would likely have been scaffolding.

heelntoe

Quote from: Rockraven on November 18, 2018, 03:09:45 PM
Something else... that temporary photo stand looks to be robustly made from Aramco, with just the perfect amount of give. On any other circuit, that structure would likely have been scaffolding.
Exactly! If it was a permanent structure, I'm not sure she'd have walked away from it.
@heelntoe

Payman

God, imagine if that was a grandstand.  :mask:

FoMoJo

Quote from: Rockraven on November 18, 2018, 06:13:14 PM
Yeah, it happened so quick you would even have a chance to blink before you got hit.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

MX793

Quote from: Rockraven on November 18, 2018, 06:13:14 PM

The few people who were there (flaggers and photographers) were lucky to be out of the way.

Patrick Bedard's (the former C&D writer) 1984 Indy 500 crash is still one of the most gruesome I've seen somebody escape without life-altering injury (broken jaw and concussion).  There was nothing left of the car.  Especially miraculous considering mid-80s safety technology compared to today's.  No soft barriers, no HANS device, etc.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Payman

Quote from: MX793 on November 18, 2018, 07:52:42 PM
The few people who were there (flaggers and photographers) were lucky to be out of the way.

Patrick Bedard's (the former C&D writer) 1984 Indy 500 crash is still one of the most gruesome I've seen somebody escape without life-altering injury (broken jaw and concussion).  There was nothing left of the car.  Especially miraculous considering mid-80s safety technology compared to today's.  No soft barriers, no HANS device, etc.

Yeah that was a bad one. Looked a lot like Greg Moore's crash, except of course Greg didn't walk away.

cawimmer430

One reason why I would never want to visit such racing events.

Luckily nobody in the audience or the race custodians got seriously hurt. This hasn't always been the case...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrTrZaHSl1I
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Payman

I'm sorry, but again how the hell did she survive that? It's like being dropped upside down from 500 feet onto the roof of a building. How many Gs did she experience in that impact? This has to be a new human record. I'm gobsmacked.

MX793

The car's roll bar did a fair bit to protect her, and the stuff she hit was relatively soft.  First the catch-fence, then that trailer thing which both moved some when it was hit, and it's sides were pretty flimsy and crushed in (same idea as tire walls or soft barriers at super speedways).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Payman

Quote from: MX793 on November 19, 2018, 11:08:56 AM
The car's roll bar did a fair bit to protect her, and the stuff she hit was relatively soft.  First the catch-fence, then that trailer thing which both moved some when it was hit, and it's sides were pretty flimsy and crushed in (same idea as tire walls or soft barriers at super speedways).

Yeah, but using industry parlance, at least 20 layers of swiss cheese had to align perfectly for her.

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 19, 2018, 08:39:09 AM
One reason why I would never want to visit such racing events.

Luckily nobody in the audience or the race custodians got seriously hurt. This hasn't always been the case...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrTrZaHSl1I
Hopefully, this will remain the most tragic of all motorsport accidents.  I believe it was the engine scything through the grandstand that killed so many people.  83 spectator fatalities plus the driver, 180 injuries.

r0tor

I'm actually surprised that temporary structure actually took the hit like that... Somehow it disappeared enough energy to save the driver but not fail

Someone either engineered the shit out of that thing or got incredibly lucky
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 19, 2018, 11:48:15 AM
Hopefully, this will remain the most tragic of all motorsport accidents.  I believe it was the engine scything through the grandstand that killed so many people.  83 spectator fatalities plus the driver, 180 injuries.

And the French driver of the Mercedes was blamed for decades for the accident. Looking at the video I don't think he had time to react. What looks slow in the video was in reality an incredibly quick and fluid situation.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Payman

Quote from: r0tor on November 19, 2018, 12:14:04 PM
I'm actually surprised that temporary structure actually took the hit like that... Somehow it disappeared enough energy to save the driver but not fail

Someone either engineered the shit out of that thing or got incredibly lucky

Like I said, most stands set up for photographers like that are usually just scaffolding wrapped with advertising banners.