Volvo Will Use In-Car Cameras To Detect Drunk, Distracted Driving

Started by Klackamas, March 23, 2019, 12:59:34 PM

FoMoJo

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 26, 2019, 02:01:01 PM
I was mostly making a joke that 60s muscle cars are "thrilling" in the sense that they're terrifying to drive around a corner at moderately high speeds.

There are cars without electronic nannies that are thrilling to drive and still handle and brake appropriately.
That's another point, 60s cars were thrilling to drive even at legal speeds.  With modern cars, driving at legal speeds can make you want to take a nap.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 26, 2019, 02:07:18 PM
It's the rawness, not the crappiness, that makes it fun. Ariel Atoms are incredibly fun because of the direct connection to the road. You can hear everything and feel everything. Most modern cars have so much sound deadening and other insulating design features that create a bubble of numbness. Might be nice for highway cruising, but it raises the speed and G-level required to have as much fun.
True, some cars are like driving a Go Kart.  I did have a couple like that, a '59 Bug Eye Sprite and a '62 MG Midget.  They made you feel connected to the road because you were practically sitting on the road.  They were fun, but not enough power.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

BimmerM3

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 26, 2019, 02:07:18 PM
It's the rawness, not the crappiness, that makes it fun. Ariel Atoms are incredibly fun because of the direct connection to the road. You can hear everything and feel everything. Most modern cars have so much sound deadening and other insulating design features that create a bubble of numbness. Might be nice for highway cruising, but it raises the speed and G-level required to have as much fun.

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 26, 2019, 03:24:10 PM
That's another point, 60s cars were thrilling to drive even at legal speeds.  With modern cars, driving at legal speeds can make you want to take a nap.

Yeah, I get what you mean. :ohyeah:

I also sometimes forget that the S2000 is more "raw" than the vast majority of its contemporaries, and that it's not truly a modern car anymore (though obviously much more modern than a '60s muscle car).

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 26, 2019, 03:28:55 PM
True, some cars are like driving a Go Kart.  I did have a couple like that, a '59 Bug Eye Sprite and a '62 MG Midget.  They made you feel connected to the road because you were practically sitting on the road.  They were fun, but not enough power.

Yeah, seating position is a big factor as well. The lower your head is to the ground, the greater your sensation of speed.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 26, 2019, 04:19:27 PM
Yeah, I get what you mean. :ohyeah:

I also sometimes forget that the S2000 is more "raw" than the vast majority of its contemporaries, and that it's not truly a modern car anymore (though obviously much more modern than a '60s muscle car).
I've never driven, or even ridden in, a S2000, but what I know of it makes me think that it is a wonderful driving experience.  I would compare it to my '70 Alfa Spider for overall balance and handling.  Alfa, at the time, in respect to building affordable sports cars, was way ahead of most, the exception might be the Lotus Elan.  It was perfectly balanced, actually had working suspension so that your teeth didn't rattle, and enough power, in respect to weight, to make it go fast.  If I was in the market for a more contemporary sports car, my first consideration would be an S2000.