2o6 Flip Car thread!

Started by 2o6, September 11, 2012, 10:11:57 AM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 05, 2018, 05:17:47 PM
Or just throw them in the volcano and keep the keys.

Rock solid logic.

Maybe throw the Cruze in there, too.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

mzziaz

I wonder how often that car has had its oil changed.
Cuore Sportivo

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 05, 2018, 03:46:18 PM
People that use their kids as an excuse as to why their interior is dirty and they're a total slob can fuck themselves.

Some messiness is justifiable with kids, like stains that are hard to get out.

But not that.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Morris Minor

I've noticed with a few people that the insides of their cars look like garbage dumps, but their homes are spotless... compartmentalizing their gross-slovenly selves.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 07, 2018, 06:05:54 AM
Some messiness is justifiable with kids, like stains that are hard to get out.

But not that.

Yes, kids are going to make a vehicle a bit messy. Always a given.  But there is indeed a threshold between normalcy and total slobbery.

shp4man

I work on other people's cars. Most are reasonable. Some are actually nauseating to sit in.

veeman

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 07, 2018, 06:59:00 AM
I've noticed with a few people that the insides of their cars look like garbage dumps, but their homes are spotless... compartmentalizing their gross-slovenly selves.

I tend to be like that.  My house, outside of the kid's playroom, is pretty clean I think for having two young kids.  Wood floors definitely helps with that and not allowing the kids to eat/drink outside of the kitchen for the most part.  My attached garage is a mess.  It's a three car garage and one spot on the side is a hodgepodge of bikes, toys, sporting goods, portable generator, snowblower, hardware, cleaning supplies, garbage cans, recycling bins, etc etc.  Can hardly move in there.  Never bothered me.  I don't keep the garage door open so it's hidden.  Our cars tend to be pretty dirty inside although no food stains.  Mostly dust, shoe grime, small leaves and pebbles.  I should keep them cleaner inside.  Just lazy about it. 

Still, nothing like those Cruze pics. 

2o6

Update:

Mechanic texted me some photos

- they also stole the 2nd cat underneath the car (And O2 sensors)

- the woman was so bad at driving stick the clutch and pressure plate actually melted to the flywheel.

Eye of the Tiger

That is some beautiful clutch destruction.

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 14, 2018, 12:30:12 PM
That is some beautiful clutch destruction.

She must have slipped literally everywhere all the time.

giant_mtb

Jesus cripes.  Will it still be profitable for you?  Just nastier than you anticipated?

2o6

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 14, 2018, 12:40:23 PM
Jesus cripes.  Will it still be profitable for you?  Just nastier than you anticipated?

I've budgeted about $3000 give or take for all repairs and labor.

Right now, I'm at about $2150, but I still have to pay my mechanic, and there's a couple bodywork issues I wanna sort out.

Clutches are cheap, and so are flywheels.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Quote from: 2o6 on December 14, 2018, 12:24:30 PM

What is that thing that the hand is holding?  Is it part of the car? :confused:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 14, 2018, 01:05:11 PM
What is that thing that the hand is holding?  Is it part of the car? :confused:

Exhaust....

In particular, that rubber piece is just a bushing to stop the exhaust from hitting the body.

You can tell from this pic where they cut it off and whats missing.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

shp4man

Hey, with the money they got from scrapping those converters, they could get high a bunch more times!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on December 14, 2018, 01:25:09 PM
Hey, with the money they got from scrapping those converters, they could get high a bunch more times!

Maybe once or twice. Good crack ain't cheap these days.

r0tor

Probably whoever took the cats also took it out and beat the f$#+ out of it
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on December 14, 2018, 02:48:28 PM

WHAT? I'm calling ASPCA

2o6

Quote from: r0tor on December 14, 2018, 02:48:28 PM

No shit

Eye of the Tiger

I like to search craigslist for "needs" or "head gasket". There are so many good flip projects. A $450 PT Cruiser head gasket, a $1000 Escape head gasket, a $600 2wd Liberty with engine noise. I can do all of those in my front yard and piss off the neighbors some more. I'm not sure if I'd jump on any Cruze, though. SUV shaped things have more profit potential, and are often easier to work on.

2o6

Youd avoid a Cruze, but buy a Chrysler PT?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on December 18, 2018, 02:13:40 PM
Youd avoid a Cruze, but buy a Chrysler PT?

Good point, but only because I am already familiar enough with the PT nightmare.

2o6

Flipping is more of a numbers game rather than emotional game. A lot of people ask me "ew why would you buy that" when I'm in it to make money.

Some of the "cool" cars I've had made mediocre profit. Some of the "undesirable" vehicles made really good profit.

There are a few things I don't usually mess with, since I generally pay a mechanic to do work for me:

- Hyundai and Kia products. Any engine problem they have is usually shared thru the entire lineup and the supply of used motors and replacement components are expensive. Resale is also mediocre, sometimes worse than GM and Ford products.

Ex: I've seen a handful of Swoopy Elantra and Sonatas (2011+) come up oh my radar.

That engine is like $2400 (or like $1800 for the 1.8L GDI)

Even if I only pay $1000 for that car, I'd be in it 4K minimum. For a car that's worth maybe $5500 in perfect shape.

- Subarus. They eat head gaskets, but replacement engines are always 3K+. A Subaru shop would charge around 2k to rebuild the motor, but I gotta take it out. And Subaru buyers are persnickety.

GM, Toyota, Honda, and Ford have very cheap parts. Although this Cruze is rough, I haven't spent more than $750 in parts.

It's math.

AutobahnSHO

I couldn't flip cars. I'd hate buying average boring cars that everyone else wants.
Will

93JC

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 18, 2018, 03:06:30 PM
I couldn't flip cars. I'd hate buying average boring cars that everyone else wants.

FTFY :lol:

2o6

Runs!

Actually, it drives pretty good.

Eye of the Tiger