I hate dealerships

Started by MrH, August 21, 2018, 03:22:18 PM

giant_mtb

I've heard of people baking pads to decontaminate them, like if they got oil or something on them, but never anything related to fade.

JWC

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 13, 2018, 07:44:32 AM
I've heard of people baking pads to decontaminate them, like if they got oil or something on them, but never anything related to fade.

I tried to google it once, but found nothing. This guy raced CRX-si (previously raced Ford Fiestas) and apparently this was a common thing at the time (1980s) before installing new brake pads on the race car.

12,000 RPM

I am shocked.... Hondas have shit brakes out of the box, and ovens don't get anywhere near actual brake temperatures.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

JWC

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 15, 2018, 05:43:27 AM
I am shocked.... Hondas have shit brakes out of the box, and ovens don't get anywhere near actual brake temperatures.

I don't think it was about get to racing temps. If I recall, it was a long bake at a lower/medium temp. The heat changed some molecular property of the brake pad material..... or something. It's been since 1985 that I had this discussion.  I was hoping someone here may remember or know more about it.

MrH

There's no way that's valid anymore.  If there was a benefit to doing such a thing, it would be done during the manufacturing of the pads.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

JWC

Quote from: MrH on October 15, 2018, 01:11:08 PM
There's no way that's valid anymore.  If there was a benefit to doing such a thing, it would be done during the manufacturing of the pads.

Seems it is a benefit. I found this after your post. Nothing about amateur racing tricks, but now I wonder if there is an added benefit to assure there are no lingering impurities.

https://www.davrontech.com/news/curing-ovens-for-brake-pads-and-linings/

Morris Minor

Quote from: JWC on October 15, 2018, 12:51:04 PM

I don't think it was about get to racing temps. If I recall, it was a long bake at a lower/medium temp. The heat changed some molecular property of the brake pad material..... or something. It's been since 1985 that I had this discussion.  I was hoping someone here may remember or know more about it.
Back in my day, we'd take out the brake shoes, dust the drums, put in the new ones, and if they could bring the car to a stop inside the time it took for you to die of asbestosis, you knew you'd done a good job.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

Those days are back again. Brakes can have asbestos once more! Yay!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

JWC

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 18, 2018, 04:18:31 PM
Back in my day, we'd take out the brake shoes, dust the drums, put in the new ones, and if they could bring the car to a stop inside the time it took for you to die of asbestosis, you knew you'd done a good job.

I've told my wife and daughter that if I die of lung cancer, call the lawyers on TV---I've loaded an unknown number of burlap sacks filled with brake shoe cores.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: JWC on October 19, 2018, 12:06:08 PM
I've told my wife and daughter that if I die of lung cancer, call the lawyers on TV---I've loaded an unknown number of burlap sacks filled with brake shoe cores.

We had asbestos blankets in the ironworkers, that we still used to protect stuff as we were torching things apart.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Quote from: JWC on October 19, 2018, 12:06:08 PM

LOL, if you even just glance at a TV during daytime hours, you have a 80% chance to see the word MESOTHELIOMA.

shp4man

I was lucky to never be much of a brake guy in my years as a mechanic. They took asbestos out of brake parts in 1997.

JWC

Quote from: Laconian on October 19, 2018, 12:54:28 PM
LOL, if you even just glance at a TV during daytime hours, you have a 80% chance to see the word MESOTHELIOMA.

My wife's step-brothers actually did this, over our objections, not long after her father passed away. He smoked, but also worked around asbestos as a government inspector. We stopped objecting after the first $5,000 check arrived. After all the participating companies paid their part, the total came to around $50,000 total. That was just our share of among five kids.

Morris Minor

Quote from: MrH on September 25, 2018, 06:26:51 PM
The does feel incredibly rigid for it's weight.  I agree, it's a whole lot easier to get great torisonal rigidity when you can run a big cross member along the rear shelf of a sedan.

After driving almost 2,000 miles in the accord, I think I've figured out my ideal daily driver: if they made a new Crosstour version of the current Accord.  Doesn't even need the additional ride height.  But a wagon body + AWD and it'd be perfect.
Are there any issues with gasoline diluting the oil, as in the 1.5T?
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MrH

Not that I've heard of?  I haven't been looking for it either though.

I drove 3 friends in it this weekend back from a wedding we attended.  One girl said it was the nicest car she's ever been in.  They asked what it was.  When I said it's Accord, the reaction: "if this is an Accord, what is a BMW like these days?" :lol:

#VTEC4Lyfe
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on October 22, 2018, 04:27:12 PM
One girl said it was the nicest car she's ever been in.

I mean, the Accord is nice for the price, but she hasn't been in anything better...?

MexicoCityM3

"if this is an Accord, what is a BMW like these days?"

Send her over, I'll adjust her expectations as needed.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

GoCougs

Not that I've heard of?  I haven't been looking for it either though.

I drove 3 friends in it this weekend back from a wedding we attended.  One girl said it was the nicest car she's ever been in.  They asked what it was.  When I said it's Accord, the reaction: "if this is an Accord, what is a BMW like these days?" :lol:

#VTEC4Lyfe

I've said it for a very long time - cover up the badges and 98% of new car buyers wouldn't be able to distinguish a Camcord from a "luxury" car when it came to actual luxury. If anything, the Camcords are getting better and luxury - esp. the poser class - is getting worse (terrible electronics, ever harsher ride quality in the pursuit of "sport", downgrade from V6 to turbo-4).