Vietnam - The Next Automotive Superpower

Started by cawimmer430, September 10, 2018, 10:42:19 PM

cawimmer430

Ok, click bait title to catch your attention.  :tounge:

The sedan and SUV were designed by ItalDesign and tweaked by Pininfarina. The side profile of the sedan looks pretty nice. The front? Not so much. Not feeling the SUV, but then again SUVs are not my thing.

VinFast Unveils Vietnam's First Cars Ahead Of Paris Show Debut

VinFast, Vietnam's first car company, has lifted the veils off its two Pininfarina-designed cars set to debut at this years' Paris Auto Show.

The sedan and SUV models have been designed for the company's home market based on a selection made by the Vietnamese people. VinFast gave the people of Vietnam the opportunity to influence the styling direction at the very beginning of the design process one year ago.

More than 62,000 people chose from 20 design sketches submitted by four major Italian car design houses. While ItalDesign's sketches initially won the contest, Pininfarina was appointed to further develop and complete the designs.

Labeled as premium products, both cars feature very similar front ends sporting a chrome V emblem at the center of the grille, a horizontal chrome splint that merges with the LED DRLs, sleek headlights, and an asymmetric chrome element.

Highlights of the sedan's design include the generous wheelbase, long bonnet, and horizontal body lines, while the SUV has a more muscular, sporty appearance.

There's no information on powertrains, but we assume VinFast will provide more details on October 2, when both the sedan and SUV will debut at the Paris Auto Show. That's when the company is expected to announce the names of the two models as well.

Following the world premiere, both cars will be introduced to the Vietnamese public by the end of this year. Exports to international markets are planned in the coming years but we don't know which regions VinFast is targeting.

VinFast is a brand owned by VinGroup, the largest private enterprise in Vietnam. Besides the sedan and SUV, the automaker says it's developing electric cars, city cars, electric buses, and electric scooters as well.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5RtEXWSOug

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2018/09/vinfast-reveals-vietnams-first-cars-ahead-paris-auto-show-debut/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

Renderings/models/spec sheets/press releases are easy. Wake me up when they're actually building and selling these things. They're jumping into 2 of the fiercest segments with not much in the way of distinguishing design/content. Competing on price isn't enough. We'll see
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Galaxy

They use the underpinnings of the BMW 5 Series and X5.

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 11, 2018, 08:10:41 AM
Renderings/models/spec sheets/press releases are easy. Wake me up when they're actually building and selling these things. They're jumping into 2 of the fiercest segments with not much in the way of distinguishing design/content. Competing on price isn't enough. We'll see

VinFast is the largest company in Vietnam though, doing everything from real estate, to running hospitals, to agriculture. There is little doubt that these will be available, at least in Asia.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Galaxy on September 11, 2018, 10:26:15 AM

VinFast is the largest company in Vietnam though, doing everything from real estate, to running hospitals, to agriculture. There is little doubt that these will be available, at least in Asia.

Sounds a lot like Hyundai.

giant_mtb

Sedan looks nice.  Would be interested to see a production version with real headlights and shit.

Galaxy

Quote from: SJ_GTI on September 11, 2018, 11:37:18 AM
Sounds a lot like Hyundai.

a good comparison.
Quote from: giant_mtb on September 11, 2018, 11:50:09 AM
Sedan looks nice.  Would be interested to see a production version with real headlights and shit.

Apparently the slim headlights will be in the production version. Though, I do note he has his hands over them in the following picture.

The engine will be be BMW's N20 turbocharged I4, it looses Valvetronic though.

giant_mtb

Hmm.  I suppose with LEDs nowadays, that's the direction they're going then.  Just looks odd...not used to it yet.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Galaxy on September 11, 2018, 10:26:15 AM

Same manufacturing quality, or just design?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Galaxy

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 11, 2018, 12:39:28 PM
Same manufacturing quality, or just design?

This is just me speculating, but it would not surprise me if they bought the old X5, 5 Series tooling. They are dipping into BMW's supply chain, for example they are using the ZF 8 speed. In some areas, they are leaving some things out, like the Valvetronic, probably because they need to reach a price point, or maybe BMW did not want to sell that to them. In any case one could argue that a BMW engine without Valvetronic is actually an asset in developing countries.   

shp4man

The Chinese bought the tooling from the Russians, who took it from the Germans as spoils of war, for the ancient old BMW WWII motorcycle and side car. I think the Chi-coms are still building it. :lol:
I'm pretty sure the Russians still build the Ural, which is a version of the old Kraut Bimmer.
So BMW based stuff is nothing new for Asia.

Disappointed that Vinfast isn't a brand of cars designed by Vin Diesel.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: shp4man on September 11, 2018, 01:40:37 PM
The Chinese bought the tooling from the Russians, who took it from the Germans as spoils of war, for the ancient old BMW WWII motorcycle and side car. I think the Chi-coms are still building it. :lol:
I'm pretty sure the Russians still build the Ural, which is a version of the old Kraut Bimmer.
So BMW based stuff is nothing new for Asia.

Dnepr, in the Ukraine, builds the bike sold here as the Ural. But yeah, its pretty much a Russianized 70 year old BMW.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Galaxy

Not bad, not bad at all.

They are putting the final touches on their factory. Their workers are being trained by a German apprentice school, and BMW.

^ Workers learning on BMW parts.

The fact that they built the factory in the middle of a lake or flood plain concerns me, but I am sure they know what they are doing.

giant_mtb

FoMoJo

Nice looking cars.

I like their food as well.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Payman

Slim LED headlights should lend to a sleek front end design, but this sedan front end is too busy.
The rear design and rear 3/4 view is fantastic.
Not a bad interior design, but the materials and execution looks terribly cheap.
The rims are Honda level awful.

giant_mtb

Interior materials/execution look fine to me. Camera flashes/intense lighting don't often do well for an interior's appearance.

Payman

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 07, 2018, 09:20:44 AM
Interior materials/execution look fine to me. Camera flashes/intense lighting don't often do well for an interior's appearance.

Yeah, but the leather/trim around the center console looks sloppy to me.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rockraven on October 07, 2018, 09:43:31 AM
Yeah, but the leather/trim around the center console looks sloppy to me.

Hmm yeah, I can see that. Looks like a case of too many pieces happening for no real reason.

Submariner

Quote from: Rockraven on October 06, 2018, 12:17:50 PM
Slim LED headlights should lend to a sleek front end design, but this sedan front end is too busy.
The rear design and rear 3/4 view is fantastic.
Not a bad interior design, but the materials and execution looks terribly cheap.
The rims are Honda level awful.

I thought Hyundai did some 3rd rate interior knockoffs but this is a shameless copy of the S80.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Submariner on October 08, 2018, 10:13:42 AM
I thought Hyundai did some 3rd rate interior knockoffs but this is a shameless copy of the S80.
It's based on a 5 series though :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Galaxy

Quote from: Submariner on October 08, 2018, 10:13:42 AM

For both the interior and exterior design they hired Pininfarina, so basically one of the most expensive addresses. That being said, I am of the opinion that Pininfarina has more misses than hits. Their last Ferrari design I really love is the Enzo Ferrari. To be fair Pininfarina did have to make this fit the platform of the last 5er, and X5, plus certain things, like the steering wheel, were reused. Rockraven mentioned the plastics, that has been criticized by people present at the Paris motor show.

Galaxy

They are adding new models. The Fadil, based on the Opel Karl.

Obviously less modified then the BMW based models, because of the lower price.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Galaxy on October 08, 2018, 02:17:09 PM
For both the interior and exterior design they hired Pininfarina, so basically one of the most expensive addresses. That being said, I am of the opinion that Pininfarina has more misses than hits. Their last Ferrari design I really love is the Enzo Ferrari. To be fair Pininfarina did have to make this fit the platform of the last 5er, and X5, plus certain things, like the steering wheel, were reused. Rockraven mentioned the plastics, that has been criticized by people present at the Paris motor show.
Must've been one of their BLACK FRIDAY specials.

Galaxy

Besides BMW, they now went to GM for parts and came back with the LS V8 (not sure which one, theirs is a 6.2 with 455 DIN hp), which they installed in their last GEN BMW X5 clone. The actual engineering was done by Magna.

I love what these guys are doing.