Bimmer's (potential) Garage Shake-up Mega-Thread

Started by BimmerM3, November 11, 2018, 06:00:54 PM

68_427

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 12, 2018, 05:32:32 PM
6-speeds is too much shifting. Upgrade to a 3-speed Ford Toploader. Also upgrade the rest of the truck to a not-Nissan.

IDK man the new Titan sounds badass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-YXIYIr0xo
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

BimmerM3

Quote from: 68_427 on November 12, 2018, 05:29:49 PM
Leftover Nissan Frontier Pro-4X 6 speed manual

Fun car and TRRRRRRRRRUCK all in one.

I test drove an Xterra Pro-4x 6-speed and would have bought it if it didn't smell like a mixture of cigarettes and heavy duty cleaner. I really liked that car, and wish I had held out for one of those instead of buying the Explorer. If I sold the S2000 and found a really good deal on one of those, it's probably the only proper BOF that I'd consider, but it looks like they're a bit pricey for age/mileage I 'd want.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

12,000 RPM

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 12, 2018, 06:17:12 PM
I test drove an Xterra Pro-4x 6-speed and would have bought it if it didn't smell like a mixture of cigarettes and heavy duty cleaner. I really liked that car, and wish I had held out for one of those instead of buying the Explorer. If I sold the S2000 and found a really good deal on one of those, it's probably the only proper BOF that I'd consider, but it looks like they're a bit pricey for age/mileage I 'd want.
My Optima had a cigarette odor when I bought it. New cabin air filter and some odor grabbing baking soda got rid of it
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 12, 2018, 06:38:36 PM
My Optima had a cigarette odor when I bought it. New cabin air filter and some odor grabbing baking soda got rid of it

This was a really strong odor. I wasn't gonna risk it. Besides, if it's that easy, the dealership should have taken care of it anyway. Didn't make me feel great about potentially giving them my money.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 12, 2018, 06:38:36 PM

Do you leave an open box of baking soda on the dash, or did you sprinkle it all over everything?

12,000 RPM

I parked in the garage, opened the windows, sprinkled it all over the carpet and used some kind of odor removal spray on all the upholstry. Let it air out overnight and then vacuumed it all up.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 13, 2018, 05:10:46 AM
I parked in the garage, opened the windows, sprinkled it all over the carpet and used some kind of odor removal spray on all the upholstry. Let it air out overnight and then vacuumed it all up.

I need to do that to Dakota. PO had rottweilers ride in the truck, so the seats and carpet were covered in fur and dog stank. I got the fur out, and scrubbed the seats with a cleaner. They look clean now, but it still smells like dog... and I have two of my own big stinky dogs, so if I can smell it, it really smells.

12,000 RPM

I used Arm & Hammer pet odor baking soda. We use it for the dog too. Works really well

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 13, 2018, 12:04:54 PM

IIRC, I actually asked you about how hard it would be to remove the odor from that Xterra, and you basically said, "Possible, but usually a lot of work." Maybe your techniques have improved since then. :lol:

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 13, 2018, 12:23:05 PM
IIRC, I actually asked you about how hard it would be to remove the odor from that Xterra, and you basically said, "Possible, but usually a lot of work." Maybe your techniques have improved since then. :lol:

I mean, there's never any 100% guarantee when it comes to odors.  For me, it's my usual interior routine (vacuuming, shampooing, etc) combined with something like one of those odor bombs and/or fabric odor spray stuff.  Most pet-type odors will come out, no problem.  It's smoked-in vehicles that are hard to really say "this will definitely work."  Cars that have been smoked in lightly, not a problem.  Heavy smokers?  Not so much.  If you ever get the chance, try shampooing the headliner above the driver's area (particularly right by the window where the smoke tends to flow over and where they flick their cigs) in a heavy smoker's vehicle...it's disgusting the amount of soot/tar/whatever buildup drips and oozes out of there.

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 13, 2018, 12:29:47 PM
I mean, there's never any 100% guarantee when it comes to odors.  For me, it's my usual interior routine (vacuuming, shampooing, etc) combined with something like one of those odor bombs and/or fabric odor spray stuff.  Most pet-type odors will come out, no problem.  It's smoked-in vehicles that are hard to really say "this will definitely work."  Cars that have been smoked in lightly, not a problem.  Heavy smokers?  Not so much.  If you ever get the chance, try shampooing the headliner above the driver's area (particularly right by the window where the smoke tends to flow over and where they flick their cigs) in a heavy smoker's vehicle...it's disgusting the amount of soot/tar/whatever buildup drips and oozes out of there.

That's probably a much better representation of what you actually told me at the time. Like I said, it was a pretty strong odor and I didn't want to take the chance.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 13, 2018, 12:31:25 PM
That's probably a much better representation of what you actually told me at the time. Like I said, it was a pretty strong odor and I didn't want to take the chance.

Did you end up doing anything for it?  Did it work?  I do not recall if there was an end result.

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 13, 2018, 12:32:27 PM
Did you end up doing anything for it?  Did it work?  I do not recall if there was an end result.

Nah, I was just shopping. I wasn't gonna go through the effort of de-stinking a car for the dealership.

Eye of the Tiger

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 13, 2018, 12:29:47 PM

I bought a car from a heavy cigar smoker once. I originally thought the interior chrome was poorly gold plated.

It wasn't. It was tobacco residue.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 13, 2018, 12:48:12 PM
Is Dakota odor bomb for use in Dakotas, or is it just Dakota scented?

They have different scents.  But yes, they're only for use in Dakotas.  Otherwise they will explode.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 13, 2018, 12:48:56 PM
I bought a car from a heavy cigar smoker once. I originally thought the interior chrome was poorly gold plated.

Were they at least good cigars, or were they Black n Milds?

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 13, 2018, 01:06:47 PM
They have different scents.  But yes, they're only for use in Dakotas.  Otherwise they will explode.

Too risky. I will go with baking soda. I use it on my arm pits, so I can trust it on my truck.

Laconian

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 13, 2018, 12:48:56 PM

Lol, reminds me of seeing old pictures of my husband's family's apartment. The wallpaper was white in 1980. Yellow brown in 2006!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Xer0

Smokers are the worst.  I'm so glad my dad finally quit.

BimmerM3

So, I'm still not 100% sure on this, but from what I'm reading, it sounds like I can still qualify for the CO EV credit by purchasing a vehicle (Crosstrek PHEV) out of state as long as it's never registered in that other state. Assuming it gets the same federal credit as the Prius Prime (maybe more since it has nearly identical range, but has AWD and is less aerodynamic, so it might have a slightly bigger battery), I'd get about $9500 in tax credits, so as long as the MSRP is about $33k or less, I'd effectively be paying the same amount as the ICE model I'll likely get otherwise.

The CO credit begins to phase out after 2019 ($5000 in 2019, $4000 in 2020, $2500 in 2021, $0 after), so it might make the most sense to wait it out for now and see if they offer the PHEV version in CO in late 2019 as a 2020 model, as long as I leave myself time to buy from out of state towards the end of the year if needed.

CALL_911

Man there is nothing more painful for me to see than a brand new car (still with temporary plates on) with the driver smoking a cigarette inside it.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 16, 2018, 11:33:05 AM
Man there is nothing more painful for me to see than a brand new car (still with temporary plates on) with the driver smoking a cigarette inside it.

Painful for you? How do you think the cigarette feels?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 13, 2018, 01:24:03 PM
Were they at least good cigars, or were they Black n Milds?

Too risky. I will go with baking soda. I use it on my arm pits, so I can trust it on my truck.

Big phallic looking things. Other than that, who knows?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

12,000 RPM

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 19, 2018, 11:47:12 AM
Damn brah looking good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ5hdkQrUSU

Oh nice, thanks! They've been pretty mum about this vehicle, so it's nice to see them starting to loan them out to media.

I'll check out the video a bit later after I'm done working.