GM - had to do it

Started by veeman, November 28, 2018, 10:43:28 AM

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 01, 2018, 10:40:43 AM
Not to go all Dad here, but tires are one of the single most important pieces on your car besides the brakes themselves.  Plus, they last years.

+1

Even used tires would be okay.
Will

veeman

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 30, 2018, 09:00:56 PM
My son still has the Pilot I bought in 2002: 184,000 miles. He's replaced the transmission, but it's served him well. He's right on the edge of the decision whether to fix the a/c or replace the car. I was a bit worried about the shocks & suspension bushings but he doesn't want to spend the money on that.
(I think the first transmission would still be in there if he hadn't towed a ridiculously overweight trailer from Boston to San Diego via Atlanta)

In 2008/2009 I was deciding between a new Pilot vs Enclave.  I liked the styling of both, the Enclave had a butter smooth ride and felt much more expensive than it was. I felt the Pilot would last me longer and be worth more on trade in or private sale down the road.  US was in a big recession at the time and GM gave me 0% financing for 5 years.  Honda had no special deals.  The Pilot was popular.  I went with the Enclave.

I had the Enclave for 6 years and 110,000 miles.  The first 5 years and 90 thousand miles it was awesome.  Nothing failed and just a few recalls.  Beast in the winter.  Manufacturer suggested oil change interval was also 10,000 miles although later they dialed that back down I believe to shorter intervals.  Year 6 bunch of stuff started failing.  Dashboard buttons had their markings worn off the plastic, seat heaters/coolers, spark plugs, engine coils, catalytic converters.  Every month I was bringing it in.  I'm happy I bought it and would do it again but I think a Pilot would have been better after 100,000 miles. 

veeman

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 01, 2018, 10:47:13 AM
They'd be about $800 a set up here.

When she gets close to a down payment, the housing prices go up and she needs to save more.  Hoping for a slump in housing.

Next time you're visiting or she's visiting, tell her you've got to run an errand and take her keys.  Come back an hour later with four new tires on her car.

I did that for my parents a few years ago. 

2o6

In other news:

Ramos Arzipe will no longer make the Cruze, so that model really is dead in all of North America, likely including Mexico.

However, the Cruze's marketshare has actually grown in Latin America, so that nameplate will stay in South America.

It seems like GM China is doing the legwork on basically all small and cheaper cars, for better or worse (they don't look good). They've made a new chassis that mates and simplifies basically all GM small cars.

The Sonic has been discontinued in Canada.

I have a question though:

What do they expect young people to buy?

The Spark will likely be axed too, and even so it's a tiny car with only four seats and >100HP

The Trax gets expensive quickly, and a small car will definitely beat it's economy real world. The Malibu? It's nice, but it's a large car.

Laconian

Or anybody, for that matter? Those big truck profits come from shockingly high sticker prices. There's going to be a debt reckoning soon. GM's going to have ridiculous inventories come the next recession.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

Do "young people" buy new cars en masse these days? I wouldn't be surprised, given the popularization of relevant macro stats (student loan debt, underemployment, etc.), that the answer is, "no, not really."

GoCougs

The cut backs by the Big 3 earlier in the year look shockingly prescient now (but really, it's probably because they had an army of analysis, economists, etc., that predicted this, and again my hunch is it included far fewer "young" (lower income) new car buyers). Dump the cheap low/no margin stuff and focus on higher cost/higher margin product.

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on January 06, 2019, 07:53:13 PM
The cut backs by the Big 3 earlier in the year look shockingly prescient now (but really, it's probably because they had an army of analysis, economists, etc., that predicted this, and again my hunch is it included far fewer "young" (lower income) new car buyers). Dump the cheap low/no margin stuff and focus on higher cost/higher margin product.

This can't last forever.

Eye of the Tiger

Everyone needs a pickup truck. Sure, it's like carrying around an empty suitcase, but it might come in handy.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

93JC

Quote from: 2o6 on January 06, 2019, 07:11:19 PM
I have a question though:

What do they expect young people to buy?

I don't think they expect "young people" to buy anything from them; as a cohort they're too poor to afford new cars anyway.

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on January 06, 2019, 07:56:02 PM
This can't last forever.

Actually, looking to elsewhere, (Europe, Japan), it's only bound to get worse - "young" people buying new cars is only if they're rich (or have rich jobs, that give them company cars).

12,000 RPM

Yea young people aren't buying $20K+ anything, that's a nice student loan balance.

That said the Fiesta did have a relatively good sales year, selling nearly 12% more in 2018 than 2017.

People are holding onto cars longer these days anyway. either due to longer loan lengths *raises hand* or just cars being more durable and reliable *looks at wife's car*. If we're being completely frank the sales volume and number of models/brands available has always been unsustainable. I'd say the logical number of cars to sell in the US every year is probably ~10-12 million rather than the 17M we saw at the peak, and we could probably cut out a quarter of the brands/models for sale. Look at all the brands that are struggling while volume is high.... mother fuckers are gonna get washed when that tide rolls out.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Payman

I can't speak for the US, but young people here seem to be buying new cars more than ever. It was unheard of back in the '80s when I graduated, but today dealerships have student programs where you just have to prove you are a student in college/university, with weekly $60 payments and 84 month loan terms.

Soup DeVille

Gawd. I hope you're exaggerating.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

Quote from: Rockraven on January 07, 2019, 05:43:55 AM
I can't speak for the US, but young people here seem to be buying new cars more than ever. It was unheard of back in the '80s when I graduated, but today dealerships have student programs where you just have to prove you are a student in college/university, with weekly $60 payments and 84 month loan terms.

LOL, $260/mo x 7 years.  How much down?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Weekly payments. :facepalm:

Fiesta sales have give up because there are less good small cars.
Will

MX793

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 01, 2018, 05:59:18 PM
+1

Even used tires would be okay.

I personally wouldn't touch used tires with a 10 ft pole, and I actually know something about tires and things to look for that would indicate underlying damage.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Payman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 07, 2019, 05:47:35 AM
Gawd. I hope you're exaggerating.
Quote from: MrH on January 07, 2019, 06:07:17 AM
7 year loans?! :wtf:

Sadly not exaggerating. 72 and 84 months is the new normal, and even 96 months on trucks.

Payman

http://www.bayviewauto.ca/used/

2019 Kia Sedona LX
- 8 PASS! REVERSE CAM! HTD SEATS! BLUETOOTH! PWR GROUP!
Price: $27,995
Listed price does not include taxes, licensing fees and OMVIC fee.

Finance from $169*(Bi-weekly)
$27,995 x 96 Months @ 5.9% APR (estimated financing rate, cost of borrowing $7,156). $0 down payment.
Plus HST and License.
P.P.S.A + Tax Extra

Mileage:17,098 km

Laconian

If consumers are otherwise unable to afford the product unless it's financed over hugely long period, that's a bad sign for the sector (product is too expensive for target market) and the economy as a whole (people are getting poorer).

96 months, JFC
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BimmerM3

7 year auto loans aren't exactly new. It's been happening in the states for several years now. I'm pretty sure it's not even the first time we've complained about it here.

But yeah... young people don't buy new cars. I'm 31 and can't think of many people my age who have purchased new, and the few exceptions have been pretty recent.

Eye of the Tiger

It's forever debt. 72 month loan. Trade car in after 36 months. Roll negative equity into 96 month loan, payment stays the same.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 07, 2019, 10:27:08 AM
It's forever debt. 72 month loan. Trade car in after 36 months. Roll negative equity into 96 month loan, payment stays the same.

That's the game.

r0tor

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 07, 2019, 10:15:59 AM
7 year auto loans aren't exactly new. It's been happening in the states for several years now. I'm pretty sure it's not even the first time we've complained about it here.

But yeah... young people don't buy new cars. I'm 31 and can't think of many people my age who have purchased new, and the few exceptions have been pretty recent.

I bought a RX8, JGC, and a house by that age -shrug-

... and Focus the next year...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Xer0

7/8 year auto loans are the name of the game with the "finance anything with a pulse" dealership networks that push garbage FCA or Nissan products.  Its a mess.

BimmerM3

Quote from: r0tor on January 07, 2019, 10:36:25 AM
I bought a RX8, JGC, and a house by that age -shrug-

... and Focus the next year...

:rolleyes:

Allow me to rephrase: young people don't buy new cars anymore.

Payman

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 07, 2019, 11:00:50 AM
:rolleyes:

Allow me to rephrase: young people don't buy new cars anymore.

And from my observations, son's/daughter's friends, etc, they do.

Payman

Here's what happens... young person/student looks at a $5000 used car, salesman says he can get them in a brand new car w/full warranty for same monthly payment (longer term though) and besides, students qualify for financing on new vehicles. Young person/student drives off in new car.

CaminoRacer

I might lease a new car at the end of the summer. Cheaper payment than a few year old car, plus you get a warranty. Gives me time to save up for a car at the end of the lease. Have to run the numbers a few more times to see if it really makes sense, but it seems like it does. I wouldn't continually lease, though. That's not a good strategy.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV