GTI is gone....

Started by CALL_911, May 13, 2019, 06:54:20 PM

Laconian

I negotiated another $1000 out of my wrecked Miata because it had a hardtop. I sent the agent listings of Miatas with hardtops and pointed out their price premium. Then I pulled the unharmed hardtop off my car at the auto body shop and sold it to someone on Craigslist. :lol:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CALL_911

Well there's a manual one they're asking 35k for in NJ. If insurance forks over more money (which they should- the money offered would not even remotely cover the same car), I'll try to do that. If not, the ZF 8AT isn't a bad option right

Golf Rs and STIs are no cheaper than 340xis. I see no reason to get one

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on December 14, 2019, 01:03:21 PM
I negotiated another $1000 out of my wrecked Miata because it had a hardtop. I sent the agent listings of Miatas with hardtops and pointed out their price premium. Then I pulled the unharmed hardtop off my car at the auto body shop and sold it to someone on Craigslist. :lol:

:lol:

I did the opposite with my 99 Caravan- I had found one in a scrapyard with the same upholstery, so bought a rear bucket seat. I pulled the 3rd row bench, kept it in the shed, and my son got a bucket in the 3rd row (only one fits and had to swap the seatbelt to the other side because it's more narrow between the wheel wells.)

So when I totalled it and later went to get all of our stuff out of the van, the bucket was still in and I threw the bench back in behind it so I didn't have to dispose of it.
Will

cawimmer430

You pretty much will also search forever here to find one with a manual, and you may not find one at all since those higher-end BMWs are overwhelmingly A/T here.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CALL_911

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 15, 2019, 08:02:14 AM
Why do you need 4 doors?

Because having 2 doors in a daily driver is a pain in the ass, having done it for 8 years

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 14, 2019, 09:24:50 AM
Car is totalled. Long story short, spun out and ended up in a guard rail 2 weeks ago. I am getting $28.7k for it from insurance (and would like advice for getting some more from them?), and need to find a replacement. There are no 6MT 340xis I can find easily or that are in my price range (there are 15 for sale in the USA). I'd prefer to replace my car with the same exact kind, but that's not easy. Now I'm debating getting an automatic version of the same car, or getting something like an STI or a Golf R. I can't find an B8 S4 6MT and I don't want a DCT. B9 S4s are out of my price range, and I don't want a B9 A4, nor do I want an F30 330xi. Thoughts? It's fucking terrible how incredibly difficult it is to find an AWD 6MT sedan.

I'm really glad that you weren't hurt but it sucks that the car is totaled.  The important thing is that you're OK.

With respect to the insurance payment, I suggest you ask them to substantiate the amount that you're paying, and do your own research on the replacement cost of the exact car that you lost.  Since you got it pretty recently, it shouldn't be that much less than what you paid for the car.  It can be a negotiation so you shouldn't just accept the initial amount offered, since they are probably low-balling you.

When it comes to the replacement, I can't say.  It's a personal decision.  Identify a few possibilities and test a few out.  Buying used cars is different than new ones since there are more variables to consider and you can't just order what you want.  But I'm sure you can find one that you're very happy with.

Stay safe, man.

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

2o6

CALL_911

Looked at the offer, surely enough they found 3 cars from pretty much luxo BHPH lots which had accidents on record. I think I will be able to squeeze more out of them. Decision is gonna be how OK I am with getting one with the 8AT, the car's gonna be another 340xi. If I'm really crunched, there's a nice one locally that I'll prob do. The price is right, the car is the right color and options and whatnot except for the transmission.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

https://cpo.bmwusa.com/used/2016-BMW-340i-WBA8B3G54GNA92727?zip=11507#

RWD+snow tires would be fine around here right? Only problem is unplowed roads when I get to work, but I'm not totally convinced AWD helps.....

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 16, 2019, 07:16:24 PM

RWD+snow tires would be fine around here right? Only problem is unplowed roads when I get to work, but I'm not totally convinced AWD helps.....

AWD helps going, not turning or stopping (well, it changes turning to be more predictable, but doesn't add any grip)

Most problems in the snow are with turning and stopping.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

AWD helps a TON!! In Subies in the rain I just punched it and drove. No other single drive axle car I've driven comes close.
Will

r0tor

Turning and stopping is rather meaningless if your stuck to begin with
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Yeah I would take AWD with all seasons over RWD with snows any day of the week. But I live in a high-snow area so having that power/traction to get moving when there're 6+ inches (or an 8" packed down plow berm) is more important...just have to know your limits when it comes to turning and especially braking.  And AWD gives you much more stability on a snowy/icy road with all wheels being driven. Nothing like that jolt of fear when the truck is in 2WD and you're goin up a slippery hill at 55mph and the rear end suddenly kicks loose.

AWD is much much better for stuff like unplowed roads. Both for getting/staying moving, and for tractability moving forward.   Snow tires do make a huge difference, though. My dad rocked the Grand Marquis with Blizzaks for a number of winters. Couple hunnid pounds of sand bags in the back, mostly good to go...but he'd take the Explorer on the real bad days. Ground clearance becomes a major issue, especially with only one driven axle.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 16, 2019, 07:29:09 PM
Most problems in the snow are with turning and stopping.

I disagree. I would agree that most accidents in the snow have to do with turning or stopping.  But most issues are with simply being stuck. I see it all the time, it's almost always 2WD vehicles that are stuck in the dumbest spots...a parallel parking spot, the middle of a street that hasn't been plowed yet, a slippery stop sign on an incline...

Of course, ground clearance and tires do come into play, but assuming you have at least all-season tires, four wheel is basically always better than two.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 16, 2019, 06:36:07 PM
Looked at the offer, surely enough they found 3 cars from pretty much luxo BHPH lots which had accidents on record. I think I will be able to squeeze more out of them. Decision is gonna be how OK I am with getting one with the 8AT, the car's gonna be another 340xi. If I'm really crunched, there's a nice one locally that I'll prob do. The price is right, the car is the right color and options and whatnot except for the transmission.

Honestly I'd probably get AWD/Auto over RWD/Stick.

Before I stumbled on the idea of a Golf R I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on an S3. I drove a 3er and 2er on the same day I test drove the S3 and while I preferred the DSG I thought the auto in the BMW's were fine (much better than the slow/laggy manumatics from a decade ago).

Actually, speaking of which...have you ever considered an S3? Not as powerful as a 340xi obviously but I thought it was nicer then the 228xi and 328xi I tested it against.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 17, 2019, 10:30:03 AM
Yeah I would take AWD with all seasons over RWD with snows any day of the week. But I live in a high-snow area so having that power/traction to get moving when there're 6+ inches (or an 8" packed down plow berm) is more important...just have to know your limits when it comes to turning and especially braking.  And AWD gives you much more stability on a snowy/icy road with all wheels being driven. Nothing like that jolt of fear when the truck is in 2WD and you're goin up a slippery hill at 55mph and the rear end suddenly kicks loose.

AWD is much much better for stuff like unplowed roads. Both for getting/staying moving, and for tractability moving forward.   Snow tires do make a huge difference, though. My dad rocked the Grand Marquis with Blizzaks for a number of winters. Couple hunnid pounds of sand bags in the back, mostly good to go...but he'd take the Explorer on the real bad days. Ground clearance becomes a major issue, especially with only one driven axle.
I got Blizzaks on the 'Rolla!!!  :rockon:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 17, 2019, 10:39:30 AM
I disagree. I would agree that most accidents in the snow have to do with turning or stopping.  But most issues are with simply being stuck. I see it all the time, it's almost always 2WD vehicles that are stuck in the dumbest spots...a parallel parking spot, the middle of a street that hasn't been plowed yet, a slippery stop sign on an incline...

Of course, ground clearance and tires do come into play, but assuming you have at least all-season tires, four wheel is basically always better than two.

Yes, I meant accidents.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on December 17, 2019, 02:21:49 PM
I got Blizzaks on the 'Rolla!!!  :rockon:

They're good tires. Blizzaks and WinterForce are my two (anecdotal, uneducated) recommendations for snow tires.

CALL_911

Put down a deposit on a manual black on black 2016 340xi with M-sport, track handling pkg, the adaptive suspension, all that nonsense with 22k miles on it. Insurance offered me $33k, this is $35k. It's in St. Louis. Let's hope my luck is better with this one. It's gonna ship on summer tires unfortunately, so I'm gonna try and get some winters off craigslist.

In other news, I drove a 2020 GTI yesterday and was very, very impressed. A big improvement from my old car, which I already thought was quite good.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

Also I've had a Volvo S60 for the past 3 weeks and it's a phenomenal car. I'd totally consider getting one. It's an extremely easy car to live with, beautifully finished, great infotainment, the twincharged engine has a wave of torque throughout it's power and. Great vehicle, and imo better looking than the F30. Prob the best looking car in its class (I still think the IS takes that prize)

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

Is it one with the upgraded seats? Ermahgerd. The seats.

CALL_911

Quote from: Laconian on December 21, 2019, 06:49:12 PM
Is it one with the upgraded seats? Ermahgerd. The seats.

Yeah it has them. Has a head up display too. Has a lot of toys I absolutely do not need, but the price was good so fuck it. There's a small part of me that thinks I should've found a B8 S4 and done that

Or are you talking about the Volvo? In which case I don't think so, but it does have very comfortable seats. I actually toyed with the idea of buying an S60, I liked this one so much

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 16, 2019, 07:16:24 PM

I have a slight uphill incline in my driveway to get to the street after I come out of the garage.  When I had the RWD BMW, I used to have a problem sometimes if the snow was a certain depth and/or consistency.  A few times every winter, I had a really serious problem getting out of the driveway.

But since I have had the AWD Audi, I haven't had a problem.

Take that for what it is worth.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 21, 2019, 03:35:07 PM
Put down a deposit on a manual black on black 2016 340xi with M-sport, track handling pkg, the adaptive suspension, all that nonsense with 22k miles on it. Insurance offered me $33k, this is $35k. It's in St. Louis. Let's hope my luck is better with this one. It's gonna ship on summer tires unfortunately, so I'm gonna try and get some winters off craigslist.

In other news, I drove a 2020 GTI yesterday and was very, very impressed. A big improvement from my old car, which I already thought was quite good.

M-sport....fucking sweet man.  :rockon:

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SJ_GTI

Laconian

NICE! And a stickshift.. swoon..