Motorcycles.

Started by S204STi, July 21, 2008, 10:19:36 AM

Speed_Racer

The Honda is off to its new home - my brother's.
I taught him how to ride it a month ago and he enjoyed it so much he immediately signed up for the MSF course and is getting his license this week. I sold it to him for the cost of parts I put into it, so good deal for him. Fun bike, but undersprung & underbraked for my riding style.

MX793

Does this prove that "adventure bikes" are a sham?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMrxee_fazo
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

I think any bike can jump around on the dirt...................once...........
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 29, 2021, 06:40:02 AM
I think any bike can jump around on the dirt...................once...........

These guys were doing lap after lap.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on June 29, 2021, 06:48:05 AM
These guys were doing lap after lap.
It resembles a Clydesdale competing in a steeplechase.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Speed_Racer

Haha looks brutal.
Jeep Wranglers are a sham because we have Nissan Versa rental cars.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Speed_Racer on June 30, 2021, 08:59:12 AM
Haha looks brutal.
Jeep Wranglers are a sham because we have Nissan Versa rental cars.

Gambler 500 wants to know your location...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Speed_Racer

It has been a spendy month for the Tiger.

I smacked a rock while dirt-riding and had to have the front wheel straightened. I'll get both wheels powdercoated in the off-season, but still trying to decide what color. Maybe gold?

Then on my way out the door Friday to go motocamping, I went to start the bike and ... nothing. The battery failed a few months outside of its warranty. Oof. I'm trying to get reimbursed through my credit card benefits.

Speed_Racer

I test rode a pair of Zero Motorcycles over the weekend, their SR/F naked sportbike and the FXE dual-sport/supermoto thingamajig. It was my first time riding an EV motorcycle, and it's a weird experience. Completely silent when stopped, no vibration, no clutch/shifter.

SR/F: It is seriously good-looking machine. Muscular angles, nice seating position, and I even liked the mint green color. Roll-on power is spooky fast and addicting. 30-60, 60-100, whatever you want it just goes right that instant. Handling was just OK, but not as snappy as my Striple. Brakes were just OK as well. However it is nice not having a hot engine between the legs at slow speeds. The quality of the switch gear and available features were lacking considering the price tag. No self-cancelling turn signals? Come on...

FXE: This has the potential to be a great urban assault moto. I wish it had longer suspension travel for curb hopping and shenanigans. Slap some knobbies and it'd be a cool trail bike, too. Power dipped above 70 mph, but it had lots of pep below that. Light and easy to ride. Regenerative braking on both was decent. Like the SR/F, some parts of the bike look and feel cheap.

The downside to both of these - the price to range value just isn't there. In ideal riding you could get 160 miles from the SR/F and 100 from the FXE, but once you start wringing them out or doing freeway speeds that drops fast. At $21-24k for the SR/F and $11k for the FXE, it's just too much for what becomes an around-town toy. I imagine in a few more model generations, motorcycle battery & charging tech will go up and pricing will go down similar to what we're seeing with auto EV tech.

If they were priced close to an equivalent gas motorcycle + 150 mile minimum range + 30 to 40 min quick charge to 80%, I'd be all over one of these.

SR/F:

FXE:

CaminoRacer

I really like the FXE but the price is too high and the range too low on the highway. Not a great option for Utah roads. But with my short commute, I'm tempted to get one.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Speed_Racer

Track day yesterday including a mock race. I got some good passes in but didn't have enough time to really learn the track, plus had no chance against the 600-1000+ CC supersports that made up most of the session. Still it was lots of fun ringing out the Streety, including pinning it through all 6 gears on the long final straight.

My buddy ended up lowsiding his R6 (in the pics), so not the best day for him.

Speed_Racer

There's a new bike in the garage, but it's not mine! Melissa wanted a motorcycle or scooter to hop around town in and join me on short rides. So she took the MSF course a few weeks ago, aced it, and found this beauty. It's a mint 2012 TBonneville 100 with not even 3,000 miles. A great ride, so relaxing. She has good taste!

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Classic.  Looks great.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Eye of the Tiger

I'm seriously considering one of the new KLR 650s  ... After I sell my house, buy another house, and get all settled.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 02, 2021, 08:13:04 PM
I'm seriously considering one of the new KLR 650s  ... After I sell my house, buy another house, and get all settled.

I like the updates but I'm glad they kept the price reasonable too

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Speed_Racer on November 03, 2021, 08:13:17 PM
I like the updates but I'm glad they kept the price reasonable too

Fuel injection is a big deal. I don't care about ABS. Maybe the doohickey is fixed now.

I was real close to putting a deposit down, but the house situation needs to get resolved first.

Eye of the Tiger

It just occurred to me that the KLR 650 could be the Jeep XJ of motorcycles. Hehe

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 03, 2021, 08:30:52 PM
Fuel injection is a big deal. I don't care about ABS. Maybe the doohickey is fixed now.

I was real close to putting a deposit down, but the house situation needs to get resolved first.

The innernet tells me the doohickey has not been fixed. That's okay, though. KLR people already have solutions.

Speed_Racer

Hasn't the doohickey been an issue for decades?
I wonder if they'll be hard to find due to supply chain probs. I've been wanting to check out their KLX300 in person and no dealer has had one in stock this summer

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Speed_Racer on November 04, 2021, 10:32:15 AM
Hasn't the doohickey been an issue for decades?
I wonder if they'll be hard to find due to supply chain probs. I've been wanting to check out their KLX300 in person and no dealer has had one in stock this summer

Last time I checked, my local dealer had none, but was expecting a couple of KLR650s this month.  No choice of color or trim.

Eye of the Tiger

I dunno. I could just as easily go for a Shadow 750. Totally different from a KLR, but those are the two I think about.

Eye of the Tiger

I actually kinda want a lightly used Hayabusa. Just to cruise.

Eye of the Tiger

So ... a new Yamaha MT-03 is doable, although I have yet to sit on one because nobody had stock last time I checked. Little parallel twin with 41 horsepowers at infinity RPM. Insane MPG. I want the 2022 model with Cyan accents.

Speed_Racer

Better looking for than a Hayabusa! I see more R3s than MT-03s around here

Eye of the Tiger

I literally don't care how slow or fast a bike is, as long as it can cruise at 70, do better than 16 MPG, and isn't a basket case to repair and maintain.
I'd be fine with a Busa, MT-03, KLR650, Shadow 750.... Not even picky. I'll probably end up with multiple bikes after I get a house with a garage.

FoMoJo

I love the looks of these retro classics...2022 BSA Gold Star 650

650cc single cylinder.  Waiting for a video with the sound.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 05, 2021, 08:32:06 AM
I love the looks of these retro classics...2022 BSA Gold Star 650

650cc single cylinder.  Waiting for a video with the sound.

This must be compared with the new Royal Enfields. I would like one of those. What makes a BSA better?

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 05, 2021, 09:08:11 AM
This must be compared with the new Royal Enfields. I would like one of those. What makes a BSA better?
The Royal Enfield is another of my favourites, especially the 500cc Bullet single cylinder.  I regard the styling on a par with the new BSA Gold Star.  The 650cc version of the Royal Enfield is a twin though, and I really like the sound of the 4 stroke singles.

CaminoRacer

I want another bike but I also don't want another bike. I just like the styling and idea of riding more than actually riding :lol: driving the in the Miata is nicer and almost as fun
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV