CR releases its 2008 reliability survey results

Started by ifcar, October 23, 2008, 04:54:11 PM

ifcar

SVT666

LOW  The Chrysler Sebring Convertible has the worst predicted-reliability score among new cars in our survey. It is 283 percent worse than the average model.

:confused:

hotrodalex

Quote from: HEMI666 on October 23, 2008, 05:08:42 PM
LOW  The Chrysler Sebring Convertible has the worst predicted-reliability score among new cars in our survey. It is 283 percent worse than the average model.

Now I hate the Sebring with a passion, but that's just bullcrap.

ifcar

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 23, 2008, 06:46:06 PM
Now I hate the Sebring with a passion, but that's just bullcrap.

You know this...how?

I'm not at all surprised if they're having problems with their new retractable hardtop.

Secret Chimp

If I remember how percents work correctly, that's a complicated way of saying it's almost three times as likely as any other car to have a problem. Does that sound more believable?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HEMI666 on October 23, 2008, 05:08:42 PM

But how many actual problems is that per car?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

ifcar

Quote from: Secret Chimp on October 23, 2008, 07:23:59 PM
If I remember how percents work correctly, that's a complicated way of saying it's almost three times as likely as any other car to have a problem. Does that sound more believable?

Three times more likely than the average car to have a problem, sure. The average car has very few problems, so anything remotely lemon-prone is going to be much more likely to have problems than the average.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

ifcar

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 23, 2008, 07:26:50 PM
But how many actual problems is that per car?

Scroll to the bottom of the linked page below, and it shows the average problem rates for various areas. It doesn't have an average problem rate per vehicle, but most figures are low.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/used-cars/reliability/reliability-histories-406/index.htm

3.0L V6

Good for Ford, at least. They sure needed whatever good press they can get these days.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Secret Chimp on October 23, 2008, 07:23:59 PM

That's a bit more reasonable.

S204STi

Quote from: ifcar on October 23, 2008, 07:17:42 PM
You know this...how?

I'm not at all surprised if they're having problems with their new retractable hardtop.

Retractable hardtops are a pain in the ass.  The G6 hardtop requires constant fiddling.

ifcar

Raza

Hmm, I'd buy neither the most or least reliable car. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hotrodalex

Quote from: ifcar on October 24, 2008, 06:27:42 PM
It's the same thing!

But the way it is said and the context is different. Saying something over 200% worse is a lot worse than saying it's three times more likely to have a problem.

giant_mtb

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 24, 2008, 07:38:12 PM
But the way it is said and the context is different. Saying something over 200% worse is a lot worse than saying it's three times more likely to have a problem.

It is? :huh:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 01, 2008, 10:59:26 AM
It is? :huh:

No, but its easier to misunderstand.

Lets say car A reports 1 major problem per 100 cars. That's a "failure" rate of 1%

And then car B reports the same thing, but at a rate of 3 per 100.

So, car a has a failure rate of 1% and car B a rate of 3%. Some would look at that and say " that's a difference of 2%, that's not bad at all." While others might say "Car B's failure rate is 300% of Car A's."

Both statements are factually correct, but someone not paying cloase attention to the phrasing of the statements might be led to believe otherwise.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

hotrodalex

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 01, 2008, 03:42:08 PM
No, but its easier to misunderstand.

Lets say car A reports 1 major problem per 100 cars. That's a "failure" rate of 1%

And then car B reports the same thing, but at a rate of 3 per 100.

So, car a has a failure rate of 1% and car B a rate of 3%. Some would look at that and say " that's a difference of 2%, that's not bad at all." While others might say "Car B's failure rate is 300% of Car A's."

Both statements are factually correct, but someone not paying cloase attention to the phrasing of the statements might be led to believe otherwise.

Exactly.

FordSVT

^Right, but we're also talking about 120 problems per 100 vehicles (like Lexus) versus something like 280 problems per 100 vehicles (like Kia), not 1 or 3% of total vehicles. I know what you're getting at but anyone who looks at any statistics withoutknowing the data is foolish. In this case, 300% worse is a lot worse no matter how you spin it.

In the end, something almost certainly WILL go wrong with your vehicle, any vehicle, it just comes down to the number of visits you want to make to the dealership. Do you want to make two or three times as many visits?

Beau Tie

As usual, more Consumer Reports moneyhat bias.
Beau Tie