*** LA Auto Show - Part 1 ***

Started by Colin, November 22, 2008, 09:41:20 AM

Colin

After Detroit, the Los Angeles Auto Show is probably the next most important auto show in America. In an effort to increase the number of US and world launches at the show, it was moved from a slot in early January to one in late November a couple of years ago, and now the car makers are taking some notice. Even allowing for the particularly depressed state of the US domestic manufacturers and the fact that most of the worlds makers are struggling in recession hit 2008, there were several brand new cars to see, some unveiled literally for the press events at the start of the show. The show did feel just that bit less exciting than previous ones, even though there was something of interest and new on just about every stand. Every single manufacturer was making a huge play around fuel economy and their green credentials, with hybrid technologies dominant more pervasively than ever before. I spent the whole of the first public opening day at the show, and bring you this report, presented by maker, in alphabetical order.

ACURA

We might as well start with some of the ugliest cars of the show. The RL (Legend) has been facelifted, to make it less anonymous and to bring it into line with the rest of the range. Not sure that they hit both the mark.

Then there's the new TSX, which is an Acura version of the new European Honda Accord. Again, rather fussy to look at.

However, the piece de resistance is the positively revolting TL. What on earth possessed Acura to think anyone could like this styling horror completely escapes me. Talking to the stand staff, it seems it escapes just about everyone else, too, and they kept insisting how good it is to drive and in an effort to deflect criticism of the gawky looks.

By comparison, last year's SUV duo of the RDX and MDX look quite restrained.

ANSORA

A new name on me. Claimed to be a car with all the drama of Italian styling, but with American style build quality..... hmm, yes! Looks OK, though.

ASTON MARTIN

This was one of the first stands I came to, as it features in a hall for exotic cars. Nothing new to see, but the whole range was represented.

AUDI

One of the most popular stands in the entire show. Almost all the cars were finished in brilliant white, which made for a light and vibrant display. One that was not, and one of my favourites of the day was the facelifted S6. This car looks absolutely stunning in brilliant red (not that I am biased, of course!), and the splitter effect at the rear is subtle enough to add further distinction to the car without going over the top.

The other newcomer not finished in white was the Q5. I'm still not entirely convinced by this car, and it will have to battle with the Mercedes GLK as well as established opposition from BMW and Lexus to succeed in the market.

Latest A4

A3 Sportback

TT-S

A8

R8

BAT11

Special showing for the BAT11 car

BENTLEY

Four cars representing the current range were on show here, including the latest Flying Spur version.

BMW

Tucked away towards the back of the hall was the BMW stand. Pride of place went, unsurprisingly, to the new 7 Series. Although this is visually rather less controversial than the E65 model, I was less than impressed bu the aggressive egg-box grille on these cars.

Stand goers seemed less than impressed by the X6, and I heard lots of rather negative comments about this car.

I was rather impressed by the lovely classic 328 at the back of the stand.

BUICK

With a slimmed down range of just three cars, it was left to the Riviera Concept car to take the limelight here. Designed in China, where Buick has a strong following, this car is quite unlike the rather staid production models.

Lucerne Sedan

CADILLAC

Following the news that the CTS Coupe has been postponed,  to save launch costs, the only brand new car on show was the 2010 CTS Wagon which I had seen at Paris. The person on the stand was spouting the most dreadful rubbish about this claiming that it has all the versatility of an SUV. It's an estate car with a heavily sloping roof line, for heaven's sake!   

Several examples of the regular CTS, too

CHEVROLET

A vast stand area, but it seemed somewhat empty.

Tucked away at the back was a display of 2 production ready Camaros. The stand staff were pointing out that these cars are indeed, as Chevrolet claimed, 95% the same as the concept cars which were doing the rounds of all the world's auto shows for a couple of years. As the cars were on a display, close up access was not possible, but they certainly seem to cross the line successfully in maintaining the visual effect of the 1967 model while being thoroughly modern.

Right next to the Camaro was the most powerful version of the Corvette, the ZR1.

The Volt occupied pride of place in one of the special turntable areas, complete with sample charging lead attached to the nearside front wing.

Available now is the Traverse, Chevrolet's version of the much lauded "Lambda" design SUV (Buick Enclave, GMC Acadai and Saturn Outlook), and looking rather smart. A world away from the old Uplander mini-van which this vehicle effectively replaces

A full range of production models was on show.

Aveo

Cobalt

Impala

HHR SS

Silverado

CHRYSLER

Sharing a stand area with Dodge, this part of the stand was little frequented, with just a series of production cars to inspect. The Sebring Convertibles appeared to be sporting a new grille design. Different, but not necessarily any better.

The PT Cruiser lives on for another year, at least.

The 300C remains the most desirable car in the Chrysler portfolio.

Despite announcing an imminent end to production, the Aspen SUV was on show, with much being made of the Hybrid technology.

Minivans were Chrysler Corp's salvation, and the latest models were on show, here in plush(er) Town and Country trim

DODGE

One of the most popular cars in the entire show was the new Challenger, around which there were crowds all day long. Many people were saying that prefer it to the Camaro, its most obvious rival. This is the Hemi-engined SRT model.

This is the lesser powered V6 model.

Dodge's EV, a car based on the Lotus Europa looked very striking in its yellow paint finish.

The Zeo concept car staged yet another appearance.

Of the other production cars, probably the Charger is the most desirable.

The Journey

Grand Voyager

The new Ram pickup was on show. Not perhaps the best time to be launching a gargantuan pickup.

68_427

My biggest beef with this site is not being able to see the whole picture without scrolling over.  Ugh.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

ifcar

Quote from: 68_427 on November 22, 2008, 10:45:51 AM
My biggest beef with this site is not being able to see the whole picture without scrolling over.  Ugh.

It's our forum software's biggest problem. Google Chrome has "open image in a new tab" as one of its right-click options, which I do a lot now in this sort of thread.

MaxPower

Quote from: ifcar on November 22, 2008, 10:54:08 AM
It's our forum software's biggest problem. Google Chrome has "open image in a new tab" as one of its right-click options, which I do a lot now in this sort of thread.

It's not a problem with Opera.  I usually use firefox, but when it comes to a big picture thread like this I read it in Opera.

Nice pics and thanks for the report--its fun to read!

cawimmer430

Is it me, or do the Acura grilles look less offensive in Colin's photos than in the official Acura press photos!  :mask:

Nice pictures! When are you getting a DSLR?  :praise:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

hotrodalex

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 22, 2008, 12:51:42 PM
Is it me, or do the Acura grilles look less offensive in Colin's photos than in the official Acura press photos!  :mask:

Maybe we're just getting used to them. I'm okay with the TSX now. But the TL and RL still suck.

Sigma Projects

nice. Hopefully I'll be able to make it to the show sometimes next week.

About forums, yea I don't get why forums haven't evolved much. I mean on our site we completely built the forums from scratch and included features like being able to include a thumb nail gallery straight from a user's album. Like this one.

Any other views of the Bat car?
RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas

Secret Chimp

God, the Volt looks so old. Saab 9-3 front and Subaru SVX rear. Who ruined it?

Also, I saw that offensive pointy Acura ass at Barnes and Noble the other day - it looks even more strange in person.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

dazzleman

I don't like the rounded and fat rears that have come into vogue the last few years.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Minpin

Quote from: 68_427 on November 22, 2008, 10:45:51 AM

It's your monitor. I never have to scroll over in these types of threads.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

68_427

I just have to scroll the posts.  :huh:
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Sigma Projects

hey probably doesn't have a wide screen or doesn't like high resolutions.
RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas