*** LA Auto Show - Part 3 ***

Started by Colin, November 22, 2008, 09:45:43 AM

Colin

LAMBORGHINI

No sign of the Estoque, so the stand simply featured coupe and open versions of the familiar Gallardo and Murcielago, the LP560/4 Spider version of the former making its debut. 

LAND-ROVER

Examples of all the current range were on show

LEXUS

The new RX series was only officially unveiled for Press Day, so is brand new. A cautious evolution of the outgoing model, it looks quite smart. In talking to the stand staff, I got the special show offer of a test drive next time I am in Los Angeles, after the car goes on sales in March 2009.

Also debuting was the IS250 Cabrio. Not perhaps the best styled car of its type, and with Infiniti launching a direct rival, it will be interesting to see which one wins out in the market.

Project GS was something that was novel to look at, but one has to wonder how practical it really is

LORINSER and CARLSSON

A special display from the hall of after-market and tuned cars. Positively horrid.

Though worse was to come.......

LINCOLN

The 2010 MKZ was the newcomer here, and the styling changes are less pronounced than on the Fusion, so seem all the more successful.

The MKS is still fresh to the market, and looks a world away from the TownCar it was supposed to (but does not) replace.

LOTUS

A turntable showed off the Evora at its best.

The two-Eleven was also on show here.

MANSORY

Proof, should any be needed, that money does not buy you taste.

These 2 desecrations of desirable cars are just appalling! Utterly appalling..

MASERATI

A four car stand of loveliness, with 2 of the GranTurismos and 2 Quattoportes to admire, and covet.

MAZDA

Pride of place here went to the new 3 Sedan. Visually quite similar to the outgoing model, but with what appears to be Mazda's latest "smiling grille", this car looked rather good. Interior quality has taken a massive leap, too.

The US-market 6 has just gone on sale, and is different from the European cars. Offered only as a 4 door, this car has grown quite a bit, and has also been the beneficiary of the new upmarket interior. I will be interested to try one when it hits the rental car fleets as it surely will.

Mazda now has a strong and attractive range of cars on offer. Here is the Tribute, their version of the Ford Escape

The CX-9

MERCEDES-BENZ

The GLK occupied centre stage here, with one production car, a Brabus version, and various "modified" things that were shown at SEMA, which my camera refused to recognise.

The SL65 Black looks quite unlike the donor SL Series in the flesh. Shame this rather purposeful beast is not quite as good on the road as one might have though, if the press are to be believed.

By contrast, the regular AMG version looks almost tame!

Lurking at the back of the stand was the McLaren SLR at what will probably be one of its last shows, as production of the final cars completes soon.

The Concept Fascination staged a further appearance, a portent of some of the styling features of the forthcoming new E Class, allegedly.

MERCURY

Only a small stand area for the Ford-clone that is struggling to establish and retain an identity. Only item of note was the facelifted 2010 Milan. The changes here are even more subtle than the Fusion and MKZ.

The current 2009 model was also on show.

The long lived Grand Marquis seems to survive on, and on and on........

MINI

Mini e was on the stand, and from the outside looks like the regular car, but with the backseats replaced by a power pack. The JCW car was getting a lot of attention, too. Opinions do seem to vary as to whether this is a Mini "too far" or whether it is the best of breed.

MITSUBISHI

Bit of a forgotten marque in the US, but with the latest Lancer shown in lots of guises.

The Eclipse is a dramatically styled sports coupe.

The Outlander was also on show

NISSAN

Lots to see here. After a year of publicity for the GT-R, it was, unsurprisingly, the new 370Z that hogged the limelight. A lone car was on the stand, on a turntable, so a close up inspection was not possible. I am still not entirely convinced by the new look, but the interior does seem to be rather less low-rent looking.

Second debut was for the Cube, a new version of which will go on sale officially outside Japan, in 2009.

This was the first time I had seen the new Maxima. Less dramatic, perhaps, than the outgoing model, it also seems to feature the odd shaped front light treatment that is one of the styling cues of the 370Z.

The latest Murano was on show - not an improvement in the looks department.

The smaller Rogue does look somewhat better, in my opinion.

Familiar models were also on display. The Altima

The Sentra

Vinsanity

nice pics; can't wait to see for myself this Friday :ohyeah:

what's up with the tailights on Project GS? they look painted on like on a Nascar racer

cawimmer430

Not to sound like a Lexus basher but that IS250C is hideous. Its competitor coupes/convertibles at least look much different than their sedan mothers (especially the 3er and CLK) but the IS250C looks like they took an IS and removed the area behind the front doors. Very uncreative. But hey, at least the rear looks like a shrunk LS!  :tounge:

Again, this car screams: "We want to enter the successful entry-level premium coupe/convertible market because the Germans are making so much money there!"

Great. No I can hear stupid teenage girls talking about how sexy and "fast" their IS250C is!  :lol:

Which makes me wonder... this thing is going to be mega slow, right? The IS250 is already a slug and the extra weight of the cabrio version is gonna make this thing really slow, right? No IS350C?  :huh:

Oh yeah, nice pics!  :cheers:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Vinsanity

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 22, 2008, 12:47:42 PM
Which makes me wonder... this thing is going to be mega slow, right? The IS250 is already a slug and the extra weight of the cabrio version is gonna make this thing really slow, right? No IS350C?  :huh:

Whatever happened to being happy with "adequate" performance and scoffing at how all Americans want high-output V8's in their car so they can run 12-second 1/4 miles?

cawimmer430

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 22, 2008, 12:55:15 PM
Whatever happened to being happy with "adequate" performance and scoffing at how all Americans want high-output V8's in their car so they can run 12-second 1/4 miles?

Not sure how that applies in this case but every American source I seem to encounter mentions the IS250 as being a bit slow. So naturally the extra weight stuffed into the convertible IS250C should make it just as slow or even slower, I would assume.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Vinsanity

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 22, 2008, 01:10:48 PM
Not sure how that applies in this case but every American source I seem to encounter mentions the IS250 as being a bit slow. So naturally the extra weight stuffed into the convertible IS250C should make it just as slow or even slower, I would assume.

The IS250 has the same power:weight ratio as the W211 E320

nickdrinkwater

The back of that Lincoln MKZ thing looks laughable

hotrodalex

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 22, 2008, 02:06:28 PM

Gearing can also affect performance.

Colin

Amazing.......... I post pics of the SL65 Black Series, and our resident Mercedes lover does not comment, saving his words to castigate (deservedly so, in my opinion!) the IS250 Convertible. The new G37 Cabrio is a much nicer proposition!

cawimmer430

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 22, 2008, 02:06:28 PM

That doesn't really mean anything. And as someone who has a W211 E320 in the family, I can say that it isn't a slow car at all (only in America would it be considered slow). Likewise this could mean that the IS250 isn't a slow car in Europe, but in America it must be...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Colin on November 22, 2008, 09:35:44 PM
Amazing.......... I post pics of the SL65 Black Series, and our resident Mercedes lover does not comment, saving his words to castigate (deservedly so, in my opinion!) the IS250 Convertible. The new G37 Cabrio is a much nicer proposition!

Nice MB SL65 Black Series photos!  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de