*** LA Auto Show - Part 4 ***

Started by Colin, November 22, 2008, 09:47:49 AM

Colin

PONTIAC

Slipped quietly onto the stand, as a production car, is the new G3. This is simply the Pontiac version of the Chevy Aveo, and has been on sale in Canada for a while. the Pontiac grille seems to work better on this car than the new Aveo front end.

The G8 has now been on the market for some months, though I have yet to see many on the roads. A monumental improvement over the old Grand Prxi - not that this is much of an achievement, as that car was decidedly sub-prim in its capabilities.

Billed as a concept was the pick-up version. It was while looking at this that I was asked if I was an Aussie.......... not something that I have encountered on the West Coast for a while, but it turned out the stand staff were all from Michigan.

The Solstice remains a good looking sports car.

There's now a Coupe version as well.

Good looking is not the epithet to apply to the latest Vibe, a thinly disguised version of the Toyota Matrix. 

G5 Coupe

PORSCHE

Porsche have their own hall at the show. First car to see was a piece of heritage, the 550 Spider.

The latest versions of the Boxster and Cayman were making their world debut here.

The 911 range was modified in the summer, and this was a chance to see the changes close up.

The Cayenne is now a familiar car, and must be next in-line for a freshening. 

ROLLS-ROYCE

An example of each of the three cars in Rolls-Royce's range here.

SAAB

No sign of the 9.4X Concept which has become a regular at motor shows, but the Air Concept was to be seen.

Nothing else new on display, though the 9.7X will not be familiar to Europeans, based on the Chevrolet Trailblazer/GMC Envoy

SATURN

Concept car showing here was of the Flextreme, a vehicle that was show in Europe, branded an Opel, and painted silver.

Saturn is looking increasingly like the US personifcation of Opel, with these vehicles, familiar to Europeans.

For now, the Aura remains...... I drove one last year, and rather liked it. The rumours are that it will be replaced by a version of the Insignia in about 2011.

SCION

This time, Scion was located in the main hall, but they still featured the same sort of display with cars stacked up high above the stand.

Down on the ground, the familiar xB, xD and tC models could be inspected close up.

SPYKER

Three of these distinctive Dutch supercars could be found on the stand.

SUBARU

Nothing new to see here, as even the latest Forester has been on sale for some months.

The US gets a rather gawky 4 door Impreza as well as the 5 door hatch. This is the WRX version

SUZUKI

One of the few stands with no newcomers at all.

TOYOTA

Brand new is the Venza - a Camry-based crossover vehicle. The crowds seem to spot that, too, and all thought it would be worthy, but dull. The customised versions on the stand did not really change the perception, and just looked rather silly.

Dull is definitely the latest Corolla, which has had a very luke warm reaction from the US press.

The new Matrix is far from pretty, either

The full range of vehicles was on show, ranging from the Yaris.......

........... to the rather larger, such as these Tundra trucks

VOLKSWAGEN

No sign of Golf VI here. It was left to the Routan to provide something new to see. Essentially a VW version of the Dodge/Chrysler mini-vans, I have to say that the massive improvement in interior quality could make this the minivan of choice, if that is your thing.

VOLVO

A lone XC60 was on the stand

Otherwise, it was a case of another showing for the familiar products from the range.

So, a good day out. Lots to see, despite the current troubles of the automotive sector. Someone did ask me for the my "Car of the Show", and I found that strangely difficult to answer. The supercars were nice, of course, but I have to say that I was strangely attracted to that bright red Audi S6......... clearly, I did make the right choice with my own new car a few months, ago!

cawimmer430

After 40 pictures, I can't see 41, 42, 43...

Do what I do. Post the first 40 pictures in one post and the other 40 in the second post. And if you have more pictures to post maybe create more parts.  :lol:  :cheers:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie