Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 30, 2022, 11:05:21 AM
I think for stuff like software, it can make sense. Especially since disc drives are far less common on computers than they used to be ever since high speed internet made downloading large files (games, software, updates, etc) more convenient.

However, in the case of something like Word...I wouldn't want to pay every year. I'd rather just buy/download it once and be done with it. They can offer me the *option* every year to pay again if I want the latest version or whatever, but no thank you, otherwise.

It was a ton of work but I found where to "buy" a permanent license for Office for my new desktop in December 2020.
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rich on November 26, 2022, 09:26:00 AM
yep, I've used blackstone a few times.  well worth the money to see what's going on in the engine.  But yours is new, so I don't see why you'd want to until 70k miles from now.

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 26, 2022, 08:29:13 PM
Another vote for Blackstone here. I used them when I had the CR-V with the oil dilution thing going on.

Cool.  They seemed to be the most popular upon Googling.  Ordered a test kit from them.  I wanna test/change my oil at 5k miles, still have another ~1,200 to go 'til then, but that's where I'm gonna change my oil.

Only gonna do the manuf. recommended 10k mile oil changes at the 'Yota dealership because they're free (for the first two, anyway) and so that I have a paper trail...10k just feels way too long to me.  They don't have to know that I change it halfway through the interval at 5k.

r0tor

I don't know why so many freak out over 6-10k oil change intervals.  Oil change intervals in Europe are twice that.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on December 01, 2022, 11:12:39 AM
I don't know why so many freak out over 6-10k oil change intervals.  Oil change intervals in Europe are twice that.

I try to do 5k, but am not worried if I don't get around to it 'til 7k.

Laconian

How often do you change the oil on a car that's seldom driven?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on December 01, 2022, 03:33:30 PM
How often do you change the oil on a car that's seldom driven?

Once a year.  Right at the beginning of its season if it's a seasonal unit.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on December 01, 2022, 11:12:39 AM

+1
I've been doing it since forever :thumbsup:
Will

Morris Minor

I don't have time to google it, but there has to be some hard data on oil change intervals vs wear.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

SJ_GTI

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 01, 2022, 03:55:44 PM
Once a year.  Right at the beginning of its season if it's a seasonal unit.

Yeah that's what i do with my BMW. I only drive it ~1500-2000 miles a year so I just do it once a year.

I also do my VW once a year, but that is usually ~5000-6000 miles so not too crazy.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 02, 2022, 09:54:18 AM
I don't have time to google it, but there has to be some hard data on oil change intervals vs wear.

At the very least, changing your oil more often than "necessary" is cheap insurance and peace of mind. $35 for a jug of Mobile 1 and a filter is nothing.

afty

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 02, 2022, 09:54:18 AM
Might be interesting to get a Blackstone oil analysis at varying intervals.  I would expect "safe" oil change intervals to vary greatly by engine, oil type, driving patterns, etc.

giant_mtb

Quote from: afty on December 02, 2022, 04:39:51 PM
Might be interesting to get a Blackstone oil analysis at varying intervals.  I would expect "safe" oil change intervals to vary greatly by engine, oil type, driving patterns, etc.

That's sort of why I want to start doing tests on my engine right away. Will be interesting to see how it progresses over the years.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

MrH

I'm really excited to see how the new Prius is to drive.  Is that weird?

It has a lot going for it:

- Actually attractive now
- Really usable interior size
- Great interior design
- Pretty much every tech feature I would want
- Affordable (probably fully loaded for 35k or so?)
- e-AWD
- 56 mpg
- Faster than the new Acura Integra 0-60 :lol:

The two big things that kept the Prius being a utility device for the eco nerds were its ugly looks and terrible performance.  They fixed those two dramatically.  This car makes so much more sense than EVs for most people.

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Morris Minor

I can confirm that expensive Bosch aftermarket wipers work much better that the cheapolux Autozone jobs I'd had on the Infinitely.

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on December 05, 2022, 08:19:41 AM

- Great interior design
- e-AWD
- 56 mpg

The two big things that kept the Prius being a utility device for the eco nerds were its ugly looks and terrible performance.  They fixed those two dramatically.  This car makes so much more sense than EVs for most people.

I hope to God it drives like a normal car. It would be quite a coup if it steers and handles well.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on December 05, 2022, 08:19:41 AM

- Great interior design
- e-AWD
- 56 mpg

Not weird at all! I'm betting they sell like hotcakes!
Will

Laconian

I'm also looking forward to seeing how competitors respond. The Prius ought to be a generational leap for hybrids, getting to where the Volt was 6 years ago :lol:

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on December 05, 2022, 06:21:09 PM
I'm also looking forward to seeing how competitors respond. The Prius ought to be a generational leap for hybrids, getting to where the Volt was 6 years ago :lol:

:lol:  The volt had the volt's interior and cramped interior though.  Prius will be better.

It's interesting that the Volt and Prius Prime will be pretty similar from a range perspective.  The way they work is quite a bit different.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

cawimmer430

Lately on German TV there are a ton of old TV show reruns from the good old days when people loved cars and none of these eco-Nazi communist idiots were around to whine about CO2 etc. Dukes of Hazzard, Starsky and Hutch, Charlie's Angels and of course... CHiPs!!!!

My old girlfriend, the 1974 Dodge Monaco had a prominent role in one of the episodes!!! What a beauty!  :wub: :praise:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

Morris Minor

It's in Jalopies https://www.carspin.club/index.php?topic=36175.0

I saw that one - what a lovely looking car - cannot wait to see him get it fixed up.

Morris Minor

Quote from: GoCougs on November 06, 2022, 04:03:51 PM
I've always struggled with smudged windshields (inside) that never that never get fully clean. At best, one just ends up moving the smudges around. It's a PITA in the PNW where for 6 months of the year it's rainy and dark from ~4 pm to ~8am. Simple, and probably should have thought of it, but here's the hack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p0JxZTFjsM
The squeegee arrived - when I feel better I'll give it a try. I do have some foamy glass cleaner that the guys who installed the shower highly recommended. So I'll use that.

cawimmer430

Interesting viewpoint.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTH-RGhUX24

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

If you got the bucks...Velocity Is Building the Ultimate Restomod 1970 Ford F-250

That's a capital-T Truck, specifically a 1970 F-250 hand-built from the ground up to provide the kind of experience you don't get from a factory. The Velocity Restorations F-250 is eye-wateringly expensive—$285,000 to start, $325,000 for this blue-and-white commission-built Heritage package—but it's a no-detail-spared masterpiece.

cawimmer430

Communist CarSpinner Car Fans rejoice!  :ohyeah:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh-cWijQYCU

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo