Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

MrH

That's the bar now?  Has to pass r0tor's gut feeling that it's better than most drivers when they're in an unfamiliar area?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Morris Minor

Quote from: r0tor on July 07, 2021, 05:42:22 PM
So much craziness...

https://youtu.be/9ARiJSGvfwwg
I'd say it drives at the level I did for the first two or three months after passing my driving test: inexperienced, over-hesitant in some scenarios, over-aggressive in others, slow to judge situations, sometimes misjudging them.

For comparison, here's a vid released by Zoox, who are working on a robotaxi. They're now a subsidiary of Amazon.
https://youtu.be/JAHva2-x1wg
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

r0tor

Pretty impressive... Not nearly as complicated of a route the Tesla was on though
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 05, 2021, 03:07:09 PM
For me - the autonomy thing is the least interesting aspect of Tesla. I'm intrigued by their battery tech, drivetrains, first-principles thinking, & the high-stakes willingness to try new stuff, & learn on the fly.
I'm unchanged in my opinion that they made a huge mistake in building a factory within the borders of the EU.... compounded by choosing Germany... compounded again by choosing the state of Brandenburg.
More on Germany's regulatory shitshow. Honestly, as pointed out in the video, an instructive example was already on their doorstep, under their noses: the fuckup that was building the new airport on the old Schönefeld site.
https://youtu.be/79gQuEeqIQE

CaminoRacer

https://thedriven.io/2021/07/11/stunning-tesla-drops-price-of-model-3-to-below-60000-in-australia/

Looks like the Chinese-made Model 3 is very price competitive. I wonder how the quality is compared to the ones made in Fremont?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 12, 2021, 09:53:27 AM
https://thedriven.io/2021/07/11/stunning-tesla-drops-price-of-model-3-to-below-60000-in-australia/

Looks like the Chinese-made Model 3 is very price competitive. I wonder how the quality is compared to the ones made in Fremont?
My prediction on manufacturing quality in descending order:

• Shanghai
  • Berlin
  • Austin
  • Fremont

NomisR

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 12, 2021, 10:28:36 AM
My prediction on manufacturing quality in descending order:

• Shanghai
  • Berlin
  • Austin
  • Fremont

This talk made me curious about this and found this video, it's an interesting watch.

It seems like Fremont cars has improved significantly which seems to be in-line with Sandy Munro's videos.  With the Shanghai car quality and Fremont car quality being fairly similar, one better in some areas, while some better in others. 

https://insideevs.com/news/491682/video-tesla-model-3-made-in-china-vs-us/

MrH

Why do you keep referring to Sandy Munro about plant quality?  He literally just rambles on about changes in a fastener or something trivial.  He runs his hand over the paint and proclaims the paint job is better :lol:  He's not a decent source for any of this.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

NomisR

Quote from: MrH on July 12, 2021, 12:12:58 PM
Why do you keep referring to Sandy Munro about plant quality?  He literally just rambles on about changes in a fastener or something trivial.  He runs his hand over the paint and proclaims the paint job is better :lol:  He's not a decent source for any of this.

I'm referring to the panel gaps of the 18 models vs 2021 models

MrH

A single example of panels gaps being ok doesn't prove anything.  A single example of them being all over the place does.

Sure, they may have dialed in some assembly better, but the body in white tooling isn't getting redone in any substantial way mid cycle.  It's more indicative of a total lack of process control.  That isn't something that gets fixed mid cycle.  It's a breakdown or total lack of company standards and methodology.

I'm sure I can find a single example of a reliable Range Rover too.  That doesn't mean that Range Rover has fixed all their issues.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Morris Minor

Quote from: MrH on July 12, 2021, 01:26:18 PM
A single example of panels gaps being ok doesn't prove anything.  A single example of them being all over the place does.

Sure, they may have dialed in some assembly better, but the body in white tooling isn't getting redone in any substantial way mid cycle.  It's more indicative of a total lack of process control.  That isn't something that gets fixed mid cycle.  It's a breakdown or total lack of company standards and methodology.

I'm sure I can find a single example of a reliable Range Rover too.  That doesn't mean that Range Rover has fixed all their issues.
They are constantly changing stuff mid-cycle. I think your red-haze loathing of Musk blinds you to anything good they do. Hey, even Trump is right on some things.  :lol:

Morris Minor

Another Tesla side hustle.  I believe they have a ton of back orders for Powerwalls. But this is a neat idea.
https://electrek.co/2021/07/16/tesla-launches-virtual-power-plant-powerwalls-help-california-grid/

MrH

Of all people to drink the Tesla kool aid, I never expected you to be one of them.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

FoMoJo

Musk has done a remarkable job of staying atop the tsunami.  He is unorthodox and confuses the striated patterns of the conservative mind.  However, as in the case of his mentor designate, he may yet crash and burn and die penniless.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MrH

Yes.  Fraud "confuses" many people.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Morris Minor

Quote from: MrH on July 18, 2021, 08:09:17 AM
Of all people to drink the Tesla kool aid, I never expected you to be one of them.
So you're saying it's a bad idea?

FoMoJo

Quote from: MrH on July 18, 2021, 09:04:51 AM
Yes.  Fraud "confuses" many people.
That can be said of many acts/enterprises perpetrated under the guise of capitalism.  Very few are prosecuted.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

So EVs are not economically viable for either 95+% of WtP or 100% of the companies that sell them, how can something like this PowerWall be any different? At least for EVs, automakers are taking these huge losses in the hopes that the hegemonic cocktail of regulation and subsidy vomit forth some sort of corporatist viability, but what is the path for PowerWall-like thingies, esp. considering the disparate nature of utilities (i.e., said cocktail would need to be near infinite in variation)?

r0tor

Because solar+powerwalls has a decent payback, makes you feel like you are doing something for the environment, AND makes you mostly isolated from failures on the power grid?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

True freedom is the freedom to annoy the neighbors with your two stroke generator.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

This stuff - Teslas, other EVs, solar storage for propping up base loads - make up the playthings of the wealthy at present. Just like automobiles were in the early years of the 20th Century. It will all percolate downwards.

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on July 18, 2021, 10:35:09 AM
So EVs are not economically viable for either 95+% of WtP or 100% of the companies that sell them, how can something like this PowerWall be any different? At least for EVs, automakers are taking these huge losses in the hopes that the hegemonic cocktail of regulation and subsidy vomit forth some sort of corporatist viability, but what is the path for PowerWall-like thingies, esp. considering the disparate nature of utilities (i.e., said cocktail would need to be near infinite in variation)?

I think Ford largely killed the idea of the Powerwall :lol:  The F150 Lightning does everything the powerwall does and includes it in the car.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on July 18, 2021, 12:26:49 PM
Because solar+powerwalls has a decent payback, makes you feel like you are doing something for the environment, AND makes you mostly isolated from failures on the power grid?

lol no. SFH solar + PW install literally has no payback (or, an average like 20 years = no payback). Solar has never been economically viable and Tesla doesn't rewrite that math.

Wanna do something for the environment? As instructed, that's mostly solved on the demand side - stop buy gas hog SUVs, stop building a home, stop owning too many cars, stop buying too many things, etc., etc.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: GoCougs on July 19, 2021, 08:06:41 AM
...stop owning too many cars...

Go back to Cuba you communist!!!!  :rage:

NomisR

Quote from: GoCougs on July 19, 2021, 08:06:41 AM
lol no. SFH solar + PW install literally has no payback (or, an average like 20 years = no payback). Solar has never been economically viable and Tesla doesn't rewrite that math.

Wanna do something for the environment? As instructed, that's mostly solved on the demand side - stop buy gas hog SUVs, stop building a home, stop owning too many cars, stop buying too many things, etc., etc.

I guess it depends on where you live and the price of your utility.  But you're right for most of the country, you will likely never recoup or get a good ROI because either it doesn't generate enough power or the electric prices are so low that it's not worth it.  Sadly the case for me in California, it likely is.. since ROI i've calculated is around 7-8 years, and you're looking at 10 years of life for the solar panels before the power generated goes down significantly... it may be a better deal than most.

NomisR

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 18, 2021, 09:24:48 AM
So you're saying it's a bad idea?

For the individual home owners, i'm not sure that's such a great idea because you're just speeding up the degradation of your power wall by providing energy to to the grid via your own packs.

MrH

The amount of batteries required to match the variable output of supply of renewables and the variable demand on the grid is so silly.  It doesn't make any sense at all.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

CaminoRacer

Definitely doesn't make sense to have powerwalls everywhere. Either a hydro battery or compressed air battery would make more sense.

Supplementing renewables with nuclear is the best option IMO
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

afty

Quote from: NomisR on July 19, 2021, 10:58:16 AM
I guess it depends on where you live and the price of your utility.  But you're right for most of the country, you will likely never recoup or get a good ROI because either it doesn't generate enough power or the electric prices are so low that it's not worth it.  Sadly the case for me in California, it likely is.. since ROI i've calculated is around 7-8 years, and you're looking at 10 years of life for the solar panels before the power generated goes down significantly... it may be a better deal than most.
Yeah, payback here in my part of CA is only 5-7 years.  Plenty of sunshine year-around and high electric rates will do that.  I'm looking at getting solar so have been running the numbers recently.  My understanding is that production doesn't decrease all that much until year ~25 or so either; a typical performance warranty for panels is for 90% rated production at 10 years and 80% at 25.

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 19, 2021, 12:27:49 PM
Definitely doesn't make sense to have powerwalls everywhere. Either a hydro battery or compressed air battery would make more sense.

Supplementing renewables with nuclear is the best option IMO

Yeah, you need some sort of steady supply to supplement.  You can't have the massive amount of variation of just renewables, along with the massive amount of demand variation.  It's just too much of a delta.  You would need an insane amount of batteries, and a HUGE amount of excess capacity on the renewable side to handle the peaks and valleys.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited