Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

SJ_GTI

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 28, 2021, 01:36:06 PM
IME they're not always.

Its possible that something isn't showing up online immediately, but if you check with the receiver bank they would see it. Its the whole point of a wire transaction.

The only exception would be if one bank is closed while the other bank is sending the money. So like if a bank in the US initiated a wire transfer to a European bank right now, the European bank wouldn't see the money until the open of business tomorrow.

MrH

I understand how flexible accounting can be.  I also know how it can be abused by someone that has already committed securities fraud and has shown he will do anything with his back against the wall.  The flexibility here is exactly why I think there is fraud.

1.  This is exactly what I'm talking about.  Tesla has separate entities in these other countries, which buy the vehicles from Tesla.  There is an insane amount of evidence of serious channel stuffing going on.  This is illegal.

2. Significant revenue you say?  85% is automotive revenue.  You think they have $2B in AR from just non-auto related sales?

3.  The DOJ and SEC work at a snail's pace.  Go look how many General Counsel and Chief Accounting Officers they've been through.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MrH on July 28, 2021, 01:39:49 PM
I understand how flexible accounting can be.  I also know how it can be abused by someone that has already committed securities fraud and has shown he will do anything with his back against the wall.  The flexibility here is exactly why I think there is fraud.

1.  This is exactly what I'm talking about.  Tesla has separate entities in these other countries, which buy the vehicles from Tesla.  There is an insane amount of evidence of serious channel stuffing going on.  This is illegal.

2. Significant revenue you say?  85% is automotive revenue.  You think they have $2B in AR from just non-auto related sales?

3.  The DOJ and SEC work at a snail's pace.  Go look how many General Counsel and Chief Accounting Officers they've been through.

Related party AR would be eliminated upon consolidation.

I would say 15% of revenue is significant. Keep in mind their AR is only ~20% of their quarterly sales, and I just noted GM is over 100% of their quarterly sales.

Again, its impossible for me to "prove" that there isn't fraud, I am just saying the simple fact that they have a small amount AR (relative to their size) isn't obvious evidence of fraud.

MrH

...assuming they're listing these entities as related parties.

You're comparing apples to oranges.  GM sells to dealerships, not directly with the public.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

NomisR

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 28, 2021, 01:17:35 PM
Do the banks wire the money on the exact date? I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla doesn't receive the money through the archaic banking system until 10 days after it was "sent".
Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 28, 2021, 01:21:15 PM
Wire transfers have to be instantaneous. ACH transactions can be anywhere from 1-3 days.

I think it's same day or up to 24 hours depending on time it's initiated for wire transfers and the country the bank it's from.  ACH is correct though.   Based on my underingstanding on how Tesla payments are done, it should be done through ACH.  But even then, the number for the AR is still on the high side.

AutobahnSHO

"Flexible accounting" seems to be the Tesla war-cry...
Will

MrH

If you want to see how unbelievably incompetent Musk and crew can be, go read some of the deposition of this solar city acquisition.  Truly mind warping stuff. I'm convinced Kimbal Musk ate lead paint for breakfast lunch and dinner as a kid.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Galaxy

Tesla opening up their chargers for other makes is going to be huge in Europe where Tesla uses the standard CCS plug type anyways. Probably going to suck for Tesla owners though, having to wait for a VW to charge up.

NomisR

Quote from: MrH on July 30, 2021, 06:41:15 AM
If you want to see how unbelievably incompetent Musk and crew can be, go read some of the deposition of this solar city acquisition.  Truly mind warping stuff. I'm convinced Kimbal Musk ate lead paint for breakfast lunch and dinner as a kid.

The law suit is still on going.. it's a lot of :popcorn:

NomisR

Quote from: Galaxy on July 30, 2021, 09:18:18 AM
Tesla opening up their chargers for other makes is going to be huge in Europe where Tesla uses the standard CCS plug type anyways. Probably going to suck for Tesla owners though, having to wait for a VW to charge up.

They're probably counting on making some money with that... and it'll end up being line this..

https://thedriven.io/2021/06/30/tesla-owners-line-up-at-superchargers-amid-record-canada-temperatures/

Morris Minor

Tesla is so far ahead in their charging infrastructure, they've probably figured they have enough capacity to both handle this and make money without irritating too many Tesla owners.  I'm sure non-Tesla owners would love this - better than getting raped at gunpoint in a remote corner of a mall parking lot, where the chargepoint isn't working anyway.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

AutobahnSHO

Yup, this is truly where Tesla will finally become a reputable profitable company. They were smart to get the infrastructure built out fast and hard- since no one else has.
Will

Morris Minor

I wonder how the EV charge plug standardization thing will work out. Very often the best doesn't win; the benefit of having a single standard carries more weight than the benefit of choosing optimum performance & design.
The North American flat pin A/C plug standard is an example.

NomisR

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 31, 2021, 02:45:13 PM
I wonder how the EV charge plug standardization thing will work out. Very often the best doesn't win; the benefit of having a single standard carries more weight than the benefit of choosing optimum performance & design.
The North American flat pin A/C plug standard is an example.

In reality, the standardization war is already over as far as N America goes, you basically have J1772 for the AC charging, and CSS1 for DC charging.  Japan has adopted the came standards and is moving to CSS1 for DC charging as well.  China and EU has different standards though.  Tesla is the only one that has it's own standard and it's unlikely to change in N America at least for the near future.  Which means for capability purposes, they can also sell adaptors as well and make money from that.

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 31, 2021, 11:54:25 AM
Tesla is so far ahead in their charging infrastructure, they've probably figured they have enough capacity to both handle this and make money without irritating too many Tesla owners.  I'm sure non-Tesla owners would love this - better than getting raped at gunpoint in a remote corner of a mall parking lot, where the chargepoint isn't working anyway.

When has Tesla ever given two shits on whether they irritate their customers?

Their service horror stories are legendary. The cult continues on, regardless of how terrible the experience.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Morris Minor

Huge revenue potential - I like their idea of surge charging the slowpoke-charge-rate non-Teslas.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

Thermal-runaway: these fires are almost impossible to extinguish AFAIK.

Submariner

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 02, 2021, 01:53:13 PM
Thermal-runaway: these fires are almost impossible to extinguish AFAIK.

Have to do it with fireproof bags/boxes or sand.  I think there are dry foams for these types of fires too.  Either way, bags obviously wouldn't work here and pumper trucks almost always carry water save for rare exceptions (like airport fire trucks that have to deal with massive fuel fires)
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

CaminoRacer

The recommendation for EVs is like 30,000 gallons of water. Just constantly dump it on the battery to keep the temps down. These megapacks sound massive compared to a 60-100 KW car battery, so the number of firefighters seems about right.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

NomisR

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 02, 2021, 03:36:21 PM
The recommendation for EVs is like 30,000 gallons of water. Just constantly dump it on the battery to keep the temps down. These megapacks sound massive compared to a 60-100 KW car battery, so the number of firefighters seems about right.

I wonder if a fire suppression system like you have for motorsports works for EVs.

Morris Minor

I think of my childhood vacations here: car ferries, and the marathon three-day journeys on France's Routes Nationales to get to vacation destinations on the southwest coast. Now it's a pleasure, even in an EV.

https://youtu.be/vhHV1Bi1WTQ

MrH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEhzDJNETsE

Let's all remember, the Model 3 doesn't have physical door releases at all in the back seats.  The Model X has a wire to pull behind the speaker cover in the door panel :wtf:

Nomis, you can't say I didn't warn you.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

NomisR

Quote from: MrH on August 03, 2021, 11:47:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEhzDJNETsE

Let's all remember, the Model 3 doesn't have physical door releases at all in the back seats.  The Model X has a wire to pull behind the speaker cover in the door panel :wtf:

Nomis, you can't say I didn't warn you.

There's a manual door release tab i think either in the door or under the seat.. not the best thing for kids though. 

Speaking of which, I got a text saying the car will be delivered in 2-4 days.  However, i'm not ready to take delivery of the car yet.  I don't really want to deal with an extra car for that long of a period.. so I'll postpone the delivery.  Unless I can get GM to buyback the Bolt.

r0tor

Hate to hear what that guy would think of the rear doors on the RX8 which don't have any method of being opened from the rear seats... Which is the same problem as any 4 seat coupe
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

NomisR

Quote from: r0tor on August 03, 2021, 03:41:54 PM
Hate to hear what that guy would think of the rear doors on the RX8 which don't have any method of being opened from the rear seats... Which is the same problem as any 4 seat coupe

Or a car with a child lock on preventing kids from opening the back door. 

MrH

Quote from: NomisR on August 03, 2021, 03:17:03 PM
There's a manual door release tab i think either in the door or under the seat.. not the best thing for kids though. 

Speaking of which, I got a text saying the car will be delivered in 2-4 days.  However, i'm not ready to take delivery of the car yet.  I don't really want to deal with an extra car for that long of a period.. so I'll postpone the delivery.  Unless I can get GM to buyback the Bolt.

There isn't a manual release for model 3 rear doors.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

NomisR

Quote from: MrH on August 03, 2021, 06:30:07 PM
There isn't a manual release for model 3 rear doors.

Ok, you're right. i guess the manual release tab is only available in certain model Y's, not all and not Model 3. 

veeman

My 11 year old son can jump from the rear seat to the front seat of my cars in less time and effort for him then it takes me to get out of the drivers seat.   :praise:

Morris Minor

Haha - Tesla was not invited to the White House EV summit because it's not a union shop.
Among the essential tools needed to fight climate change are union wheelbarrows that transport workers' cash into the Dems' election coffers.