2 new "dream" cars announced today.....which one would you choose?

Started by MexicoCityM3, February 20, 2018, 05:45:22 PM

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on February 22, 2018, 11:19:17 AM
I'm not sure your point. Yeah, if you fuck something up, bad things happen. I'm not saying accelerate to 120mph and then shift into 2nd immediately. I'm talking about exiting a 2nd gear corner.
MCM was talking about track driving, in which case you would be at triple digit speeds in 5th.

It's also interesting that the extra time spent shifting manuals doesn't matter, but the extra time going through each gear on an automatic does. (Never mind the fact that many autos drop to the lowest gear if you hold the paddle.) :hmm: I believe that's what's called a "double standard"
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 22, 2018, 12:00:53 PM
MCM was talking about track driving, in which case you would be at triple digit speeds in 5th.

You brake for the corner, engine revs drop, and you shift from 5th to 2nd to accelerate out.  :huh:

CaminoRacer

A good racer is gonna rev-match downshift through all the gears anyway.

Skipping gears is really only semi-useful on the street.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Payman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 22, 2018, 12:24:40 PM

Ideally, but not always practical, like when you're making a passing move at the end of a straight. Hard brake, skip down a few gears, hard accelerate out.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on February 22, 2018, 12:19:55 PM
You brake for the corner, engine revs drop, and you shift from 5th to 2nd to accelerate out.  :huh:
No rev match? That sounds agonizingly slow for the street, let alone the track.

Quote from: Rockraven on February 22, 2018, 12:31:40 PM
Ideally, but not always practical, like when you're making a passing move at the end of a straight. Hard brake, skip down a few gears, hard accelerate out.
If I'm lining up to get drive after a pass on the brakes I want to keep the engine spinning. Going from 5th to 2nd = waiting for road speed to come down to where it's safe enough to let the clutch out. That = slooooowwwwwww

Admittedly my auto car + sequential boxes on my motorcycle + in Forza have probably immunized me to skip shifting, but even outside of that it's strange that folks who love shifting would skip the opportunity to :hmm:

I don't think it's wrong to prefer manuals as a matter of taste but there are really no objective upsides at this stage of the tech.

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 22, 2018, 12:57:17 PM
If I'm lining up to get drive after a pass on the brakes I want to keep the engine spinning. Going from 5th to 2nd = waiting for road speed to come down to where it's safe enough to let the clutch out. That = slooooowwwwwww

Admittedly my auto car + sequential boxes on my motorcycle + in Forza have probably immunized me to skip shifting, but even outside of that it's strange that folks who love shifting would skip the opportunity to :hmm:

I don't think it's wrong to prefer manuals as a matter of taste but there are really no objective upsides at this stage of the tech.

The point was we weren't implying a drop from 5th to 2nd at 156 mph. As for objective upside, there's one... driving involvement.

MexicoCityM3

:hesaid:
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on February 22, 2018, 01:01:34 PM
The point was we weren't implying a drop from 5th to 2nd at 156 mph. As for objective upside, there's one... driving involvement.
Manual shifting is so second nature to me I almost don't find it any more engaging than an auto in manual mode. I think I said before I guess it depends on if you focus on the result or the process. I don't really care about the process... I need the engine at the right revs to get out of the corner, regardless of how I have to get there.

MrH

I'll take the GT3 RS.

The closest I've gotten to these cars is a Ferrari F430 scuderia on a track and a 991 GT3 on a track. I liked the GT3 a lot more.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: MrH on February 22, 2018, 06:29:40 PM
I'll take the GT3 RS.

The closest I've gotten to these cars is a Ferrari F430 scuderia on a track and a 991 GT3 on a track. I liked the GT3 a lot more.

Really? Different strokes I guess. I'd take an old F360 Challenge Stradale over even a modern GT3.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 22, 2018, 12:00:53 PM

Yeah, but you don't shift from 5th into 2nd while still accelerating in 5th. That's basic.

It's also interesting that the extra time spent shifting manuals doesn't matter, but the extra time going through each gear on an automatic does. (Never mind the fact that many autos drop to the lowest gear if you hold the paddle.) :hmm: I believe that's what's called a "double standard"

Again, you're jumping to conclusions. When did I talk about time spent tapping your paddles? I was talking more about the annoyance of not getting the gear you want when you want it. No double standard. Try having a conversation instead of an argument.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Why?

Rev matching during braking seems like a waste of time. Maybe it works out fine in an automatic which does everything for you, but if you're not matching your revs perfectly you're literally accelerating while you're braking, which extends your brake distance. If the point of racing is to accelerate as much as the track will allow to go faster, that means you should brake for as little time as possible. I understand that people do it, I just don't see the point, especially in a manual. Sure, if you have a computer doing everything for you, have at it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 22, 2018, 12:57:17 PM

I never once said that manuals are better for the track or that there's an objective reason to choose a manual over an automatic. All I ever said is that I prefer it. Why that bothers you so much, I don't understand.

Also, in my scenario that you've apparently built up in your head as this whole thing says you didn't understand a thing about what I said. What are you even talking about "waiting for road speed for 2nd"? You're braking into a corner, not letting off the gas and coasting. Of you match your revs when you shift down to exit the corner. What are you talking about?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 22, 2018, 05:40:42 PM
Manual shifting is so second nature to me I almost don't find it any more engaging than an auto in manual mode. I think I said before I guess it depends on if you focus on the result or the process. I don't really care about the process... I need the engine at the right revs to get out of the corner, regardless of how I have to get there.

That says to me you never really liked driving manual. That's not a value judgment. I'm just saying if you don't see a difference then you never really cared for it enough to notice.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MrH

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on February 22, 2018, 06:53:40 PM
Really? Different strokes I guess. I'd take an old F360 Challenge Stradale over even a modern GT3.

I really like how 911s drive. The whole rear engine experience is a bit different.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I was kind of underwhelmed with the scuderia. Handling dynamics were just like the brz cranked to 11. It wasn't totally different though. Steering feel, turn in, overall grip, all felt similar, just turned up a bit. Of course, engine was from a different planet and the mid engine balance is different. Mid engine cars at the limit are a bit scary to me.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV