If you had to replace your car

Started by MrH, June 10, 2018, 07:49:21 AM

MrH

Let's say your car is totaled tomorrow, and you get a check for the value of it and say a $5,000 settlement, what would you replace it with?  Would you get the exact same thing you have now?

2015 4Runner - I'd probably replace it with a Ford Flex oddly. They're selling for way under MSRP, it's a lot of vehicle for the dollar.

2001 S2000 - Just wait for the 2019 Miata. I'd probably consider a used C7 corvette, but I don't think I'd ever be able to justify the expense over a Miata.

2012 Tucson - the new Subaru Ascent looks nice. Maybe a CX9.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Lebowski

RX - Up to the fiancée Beyoncé, I'd try to steer her into replacing with a CRV, unless could find a comparably clean used RX or similar (MDX?) w/o looking very hard.  She likes the RX.

4Runner - either another 4Runner, or possibly one size up (Tahoe ish size). If the latter would probably buy used, new Tahoes are a bit overpriced IMO and depreciate fast compared to Toyota SUVs and I don't like the current Sequoia.

I will say, the incredible value of the RX makes me sorta warm up to the idea of buying used going forward.

12,000 RPM

Optima SXL- in a heartbeat... not a bad car, but I'm gonna try and pay it down early and get into a Q50S hybrid in like 2-3 years. I could have stretched and got that in the first place :facepalm:

MKX- I'd definitely look at some used MDXs or current body MKXs with the 2.7TT. *Maybe* look at some X5s.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Payman

Good question... haven't given it much thought.

'13 Focus - token fuel efficient/reliable family appliance. Something 2-3 yrs old with some warranty left, might look at an Escape, Santa Fe or something in that genre for the extra year-round capabilities and utility.

'86 Cabrio - another NA Miata if I'm going with cheap fun car, but really I think I'll open the purse strings a bit for a post '95 Boxster or another small roadster in the high teens to 20k range. Maybe a lease return ND Miata or Spider Classica.

Rich

Either one I'd just save the money. Buy a used 19 Miata later on
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

FoMoJo

I'd replace the Discovery HSE with a Ford Edge, preferably with the 2.7 TT.  Basically the same platform as the Discovery with similar options, but I would get rid of the useless ones I never use.  It would be tempting to wait for the ST model.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

shp4man

2014 Focus? I'd go with a Mazda 6 as a replacement.

Wife's 2018 Fusion? Another Fusion.

2000 Sportster? A new Triumph Bonneville.

1965 Chevy C10? It's demise would make me very sad. I'd have to replace it with a '50's vintage pickup. Maybe a 1955 3100 Chevy.

giant_mtb

Not sure. I really like having a truck...if I were to get another one, I'd definitely get a Taco again.

However, I also wouldn't mind a Wrangler or an FJ Cruiser, and a change-up wouldn't be a bad thing.

Soup DeVille

The Land Cruiser? Probably another old 4WD. A K-Series Blazer, full size Bronco, Grand Wagoneer, or an FJ60 or 62 Land Cruiser. I'll need a tow rig in any case.

The Station Wagon?  Resume my search for either a '94-'96 Roadmaster wagon, or an early '70s Mopar or Olds wagon. 
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

Damn, didn't even think of the bike. If I totalled my bike I'd take the check and count my blessings

Gotta-Qik-C7

C6 GS ~ EASY! I'd go with a '14 C7 Z51 **EDIT** Z51 prices are still in the mid 40s so I'd go with another C6 GS.......

'Rolla ~ Tough one! If it was totaled they might cut me a check for $1,000 so that would put me at 6K. Most likely I'd buy a early 2000's GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Ext. Cab. Now if I could find a 85-90 K5 Blazer or 84-86 C10 long bed 4x4 (Thats not a basket case) in that price range I'd go with one of those! 

GSX-R ~ It pains me to say this but it wouldn't be another Repli Racer. Some kind of chopper or maybe a bagger.......  :cry:

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

12,000 RPM

An M109R has always been a dirty pleasure of mine. I just cant get with that damn childbirth seating position though.

2o6

CaminoRacer

El Camino - Either a FFR Cobra, FFR '34 pickup, or a C6 Z06.

Mazda 6 - Was just thinking about this 30 minutes ago. I'd upgrade to a gently used Accord Sport V6 or maybe a new Mazda6.

Motorcycle - Either a Ducati Scrambler or Monster.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: shp4man on June 10, 2018, 09:03:41 AM
1965 Chevy C10? It's demise would make me very sad. I'd have to replace it with a '50's vintage pickup. Maybe a 1955 3100 Chevy.

5 window? Those are awesome. Bag it and put a Mexican blanket on the bench.

Laconian

I'd hold off and then get a 2019 RF, the one with more horsepowers. ND has enough to be fun, but a little more isn't a bad thing, especially if they maintain a balanced package.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

shp4man

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 10, 2018, 12:25:35 PM
5 window? Those are awesome. Bag it and put a Mexican blanket on the bench.

:ohyeah:

veeman

2017 Subaru Crosstrek 5MT - I like this car a lot and with the manual it doesn't feel that slow.  It's not a great car for highway travel though as it's too noisy and the engine drone gets tiresome.  It also gets crappy gas mileage with the manual for a car it's size.  I'd get a 6MT 4 cylinder Accord Sedan.  I actually hardly see any new model Accords on the road so that's also a good thing.

2013 Infiniti QX56 (certified) - Love this car.  I'd get the same car.  Or maybe an Audi Q7 just to try something different as long as getting an extended certified warranty sponsored by the manufacturer (not a 3rd party) was possible and reasonably priced.  I currently have an extended Infiniti warranty which covers the powertrain and other stuff for something like 120,000 odometer miles.

2017 Toyota Camry SE lease - The car is fine but I'd lease a Nissan Rogue if I had to do it again as long as they offered something similar to what Toyota did ($750 to be able to turn in the car at lease end with up to $5000 damage and not pay anything.)  It's the nanny car used to shuttle the kids everywhere during the week and the car already has a bunch of dings and deep scratches on it.  Is it really that hard to park the car in the garage without rubbing up against the side of the garage entrance?  Whatever.  We fired her for other reasons but a higher seated car which is also not too wide is just easier to drive for some people.  Better vision all around. 

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 10, 2018, 12:22:35 PM
El Camino - Either a FFR Cobra, FFR '34 pickup, or a C6 Z06.

Mazda 6 - Was just thinking about this 30 minutes ago. I'd upgrade to a gently used Accord Sport V6 or maybe a new Mazda6.

Motorcycle - Either a Ducati Scrambler or Monster.
Man, those FFR cars are pretty damn cheap. I had no idea

Xer0

Civic Si - I'm planning on getting rid of the Si in the next year or so, so I've been thinking a lot about this.  Right now I'm leaning towards a Type R (shocker I know) but if I can get a 230 with all of the performance goodies for around 40K that might be compelling too. 

Lebowski

Quote from: Xer0 on June 10, 2018, 03:25:11 PM
Civic Si - I'm planning on getting rid of the Si in the next year or so, so I've been thinking a lot about this.  Right now I'm leaning towards a Type R (shocker I know) but if I can get a 230 with all of the performance goodies for around 40K that might be compelling too. 

What year si do you have?

MexicoCityM3

1M - another one.
E60M5 - F10 M5 or F80 M3
E46 - Z4M or Boxster S
X5 - X5
MINI - Hilux
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 10, 2018, 02:18:38 PM
Man, those FFR cars are pretty damn cheap. I had no idea

Yup! They can get pricey if you go all out with the drivetrain, paint, custom work, etc. But you can finish a "good" one with an LS and normal paint for like $30k.

12,000 RPM

$30K + 350HP + 2400lb is a pretty stout combo. I still want a V6 Exocet though

SJ_GTI

If I am being sensible and realistic I would likely just replace the Golf R with a WRX (simply to due the low cost). I would miss the hatchback but I would still get to keep the 6MT and AWD while saving >$10K.

If I was being less practical I would probably look at something more fun like a new Miata or BRZ or something along those lines.

FoMoJo

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 11, 2018, 06:43:21 AM
If I am being sensible and realistic I would likely just replace the Golf R with a WRX (simply to due the low cost). I would miss the hatchback but I would still get to keep the 6MT and AWD while saving >$10K.

If I was being less practical I would probably look at something more fun like a new Miata or BRZ or something along those lines.
Why would you ever want to be sensible about cars?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MrH

Interestingly, very few replaced their current vehicles with the same thing.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: MrH on June 11, 2018, 06:05:38 PM
Interestingly, very few replaced their current vehicles with the same thing.

Loss aversion. When you have it tough to let go. But once the mind frames itself in the it's gone mindset then other choiced open. Totally irrational but human.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

CALL_911

If GTI bit the dust, I'd be down between a used 4Runner and a WRX STI

2004 S2000
2016 340xi