Formula 1 - 2020 + 2021

Started by FoMoJo, August 29, 2020, 10:33:30 AM

Raza

I don't really follow Formula 1, but that Netflix show Drive to Survive is really well done. I enjoy the shit out of that.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Galaxy

There are so many good race tracks, and the USA has so many good race tacks, but stating from 2022 there will be a Miami GP in the parking lot of the Miami Dolphins. That will be another artificial contraption.    :banghead:

FoMoJo

Quote from: Galaxy on April 19, 2021, 12:17:57 AM
There are so many good race tracks, and the USA has so many good race tacks, but stating from 2022 there will be a Miami GP in the parking lot of the Miami Dolphins. That will be another artificial contraption.    :banghead:
What...a parking lot?  Are they having an "Autocross" format?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

Go Lando!!!

Yea, seriously a parking lot race ala the crap show that indycar puts on where it is absolutely impossible to pass on a circuit that's too small is a massive failure.... This is like monaco without the prestige
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Galaxy

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 19, 2021, 05:59:24 AM
What...a parking lot?  Are they having an "Autocross" format?

Oh, they will decorate it but...

Kinda like the Las Vegas GP used to be like in the 1980s.

FoMoJo

No elevation changes or banked turns?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Galaxy

r0tor

Of all the great tracks in the USA... They turn to that  :facepalm:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

I'm wondering where the spectators are going to park.

FoMoJo

F1's new engine must 'entertain' or we may as well do FE

Red Bull boss Christian Horner says that Formula 1's new 2025 engine needs to be loud and "entertaining" for fans, otherwise teams may as well go and do Formula E.

I think they should get rid of all the electronic nanny gizmos as well, get back to when it was the driver that won the race, not the car.

FoMoJo

Red Bull is making a helluva lot of noise about the "racing incident" at Silverstone...Verstappen crash at British GP to be reviewed

Seems like they should be the last ones to complain about driver issues.

CaminoRacer

Should have been more than a 10 second penalty IMO
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

Verstappen doesn't seem to take it as well as he dishes out.

FoMoJo

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 27, 2021, 07:32:55 PM
How so?

Dive bombing the race leader and taking him out of the race deserves a larger penalty IMO. Especially considering he still came back and won. It's not a good look for the sport when the current dynasty can wipe out the biggest challenger like that. It didn't look like it was on purpose, but Hamilton should know better.

If it wasn't open wheel, I think the move was OK. But you can't do that in an open wheel car.

FoMoJo

CaminoRacer

Looks like the 2nd video was taken down by F1.

The first video shows how wide Hamilton was after the apex. If Max's wheel hadn't of fallen off when it did, he still would have been forced off the track due to Hamilton's ridiculously wide line. At no point was Hamilton's line appropriate for passing on the inside.

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 30, 2021, 08:27:42 AM
Looks like the 2nd video was taken down by F1.

The first video shows how wide Hamilton was after the apex. If Max's wheel hadn't of fallen off when it did, he still would have been forced off the track due to Hamilton's ridiculously wide line. At no point was Hamilton's line appropriate for passing on the inside.
If you click on Watch on YouTube, it's there.

As for the collision, both were approaching the corner too fast with heavy fuel loads and cold tires.  Lewis was inches off the line and almost broadside to Max.  Max made a couple of brief turn ins and Lewis backed off, but clipped Max's rear wheel.  This is just aggressive racing on both of them which Max continuously does with the other person usually backing off; they know his reputation.  There wouldn't have been a penalty if Max hadn't crashed so hard.

However, this sets the stage for the best F1 competition in years with Red Bull still having a slight advantage in speed.  Looking forward to Hungary.  Hopefully, Max has stopped feeling sorry for himself by then and can give Lewis a good clean race.

r0tor

Hamilton should have given more room... Like max did in Austria

https://youtu.be/ABKY6nbKIL4

Or most of these clips...
https://youtu.be/lkAoSghdD6Y

CaminoRacer

Those deserve penalties too.

r0tor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 30, 2021, 01:46:01 PM
Those deserve penalties too.

None of them were ever given penalties... Even the ridiculous ones.  Funny enough, Max pointed out yesterday that it's unfair that people call him "aggressive" because he never had any penalty points - so he's really the cleanest in F1

FoMoJo

Steiner fed up with "too frequent and too heavy" Haas F1 crashes

Gunther Steiner says that Haas's crashes are becoming "too frequent and too heavy" after another incident involving Mick Schumacher in final Formula 1 practice for the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Schumacher crashed heavily at Turn 11 during FP3 at the Hungaroring, leaving his Haas VF-21 car with significant damage that meant he ultimately took no part in qualifying.

It marked the second time Schumacher has missed qualifying this year after a crash in FP3, following an accident in Monaco at the end of May. Schumacher also crashed in the opening part of qualifying for the French Grand Prix, meaning he could take no part in Q2 after securing the team's best Saturday result of the year.

I guess Mick didn't get all of Michael's driver genes.

FoMoJo

CaminoRacer

Does Bottas have to have insurance cover the damage caused by him rear ending someone? :lol:

Submariner

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 31, 2021, 03:53:22 PM
Steiner fed up with "too frequent and too heavy" Haas F1 crashes

I guess Mick didn't get all of Michael's driver genes.

Hopefully he didn't inherit Michael's skiing abilities either.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

r0tor

Lando getting punted was a shame

Galaxy

Regarding Hamilton, and Max at Silverstone, personally I would view it more as a racing incident, although I can certainly see who some would say Hamilton was clearly at fault. IMO Max did not have a sufficient lead to claim that he owned that corner. I can see the suspicion though since for Lewis it was almost a match ball. However  I do not think there was intent since it could have easily gone the other way.

I do think the 5 place grid penalty for Bottas and Lance today is harsh in light of what they usually hand out for collisions.

I was actually concerned for Hamilton on the Podium today, almost thought that he would collapse.

r0tor

Seb getting DQ'd is unbelievable.  A fuel transfer pump fails which traps a bunch of fuel in an aux tank and because the FIA couldn't pull a sample from the primary tank - he gets DQ'd for fuel tampering???

WTF

Galaxy

Quote from: r0tor on August 02, 2021, 09:54:57 AM
Seb getting DQ'd is unbelievable.  A fuel transfer pump fails which traps a bunch of fuel in an aux tank and because the FIA couldn't pull a sample from the primary tank - he gets DQ'd for fuel tampering???

WTF

Disappointing for Vettel, but this is a 40+ year rule that Aston Martin stumbled on.

Plus initially it was the FIA that could not extract the fuel. but later on Aston Martin, under FIA supervision, was given the opportunity to extract more fuel from the car, and they failed.

I think when they asked Vettel to pull over after the race, they knew they were fuel critical.

CaminoRacer

Quite the wreck today. Glad the halo was implemented along with the other roll hoop structure.

Nice to see McLaren get a win