Volkswagen To Cancel Passat Sedan In Europe By 2023?

Started by cawimmer430, November 30, 2020, 08:26:53 AM

cawimmer430

Volkswagen To Cancel Passat Sedan In Europe By 2023?

According to company sources familiar with the plans, VW will ax the Passat sedan not only in the U.S. but in Europe as well, in order to focus on electric cars and SUVs.

Instead, the German carmaker will only keep its Passat station wagon going when the new-generation model is introduced toward the end of 2023, reports Autonews Europe. The wagon will carry on in markets such as Germany.

Now, we'd advise you to take this report as more of a rumor, even though unnamed sources have been cited. The thing is, the Passat remains Europe's no.1 selling non-premium midsize model, with 88,478 units finding new owners through October. It's an award-winning nameplate, where last year it even brought home the title of "Best Company Car In 2019".

We also learned recently that VW will cancel the Passat for the U.S. – a more logical decision given the 16,190 units sold during the first three quarters of 2020. Still, doing away with it in Europe, especially after announcing the production shift to Bratislava, makes much less sense, even if it's just the sedan version.

However, another VW source said that by eliminating the Passat sedan, the Group would reduce internal competition between the VW brand and Skoda, with the Superb finally free to target more midsize buyers in central and eastern Europe.

Currently, VW builds the European Passat in Emden, Germany, a location that will soon be used to build battery-electric vehicles exclusively – including the ID.4 crossover and a midsize electric sedan codenamed Aero B.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2020/11/volkswagen-to-cancel-passat-sedan-in-europe-by-2023/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Galaxy

veeman

The first generation Passat in the U.S. was a really nice car.  Very upscale.  Gradually VW increasingly cheapened it.  It will not be missed here. 

CaminoRacer

I'm sure the Jetta will get larger and take it's place.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

I saw a W8 passat a few months ago... That's when VW was cool
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on November 30, 2020, 09:58:54 AM

Yes. Or the Phaeton. Looks like a fat Jetta, but it ain't.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on November 30, 2020, 09:58:54 AM

VWAG's stylistic restraint was suave at the time. They haven't given it up but IMO consumers have become tackier.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on November 30, 2020, 11:31:05 AM
VWAG's stylistic restraint was suave at the time. They haven't given it up but IMO consumers have become tackier.

Tacky is the name of the game these days.

AltinD

If no more passats for me, then the hell with anybody else

Goldie 2002 - 2008 (B5.5 Highline trim, 2.0)
Frau Braun 2008 - 1016  (B6 Highline trim, 3.2 VR6 4motion)

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

AutobahnSHO

Will

Eye of the Tiger

veeman

Nissan seems to have upped their quality game.  Maybe because Ghosn, Le Cost Cutter, is no longer there.  I don't know.  New Nissan Sentra and Nissan Rogue are nice.  Check out this pic of the new Nissan Sentra interior:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/nissan/sentra/2020/2020-nissan-sentra-interior-review/?galleryimageid=2446757

Raza

Quote from: veeman on December 01, 2020, 09:08:04 PM
Nissan seems to have upped their quality game.  Maybe because Ghosn, Le Cost Cutter, is no longer there.  I don't know.  New Nissan Sentra and Nissan Rogue are nice.  Check out this pic of the new Nissan Sentra interior:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/nissan/sentra/2020/2020-nissan-sentra-interior-review/?galleryimageid=2446757

That's a Sentra interior? But it looks....nice.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

veeman

Quote from: Raza  on December 02, 2020, 09:28:17 AM

I know... I was floored.  I didn't think there would be a future in which the Sentra looks better inside and outside than a Civic or Corolla but the day has come. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on December 02, 2020, 09:28:17 AM

Anyone can quilt some leather in two tone and put a giant television set in the middle of the dash. I guarantee you that it still drives like a box of shit.

veeman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 02, 2020, 12:38:45 PM
Anyone can quilt some leather in two tone and put a giant television set in the middle of the dash. I guarantee you that it still drives like a box of shit.

So you agree the new Nissan Sentra looks great  :lol:

As an aside Motortrend/Car and Driver didn't think the car drove that great compared to Honda or Mazda but they did comment that the seats were great and the interior was a lot more upscale than they expected.  It's no longer an embarrassing car. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: veeman on December 02, 2020, 05:14:39 PM
So you agree the new Nissan Sentra looks great  :lol:

As an aside Motortrend/Car and Driver didn't think the car drove that great compared to Honda or Mazda but they did comment that the seats were great and the interior was a lot more upscale than they expected.  It's no longer an embarrassing car.

I will agree that it is a Nissan. :lol:

AltinD

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 02, 2020, 12:38:45 PM

I rented a previous gen. SENTRA some times back, probably a South-East Asia made one. It looked like oversized crap, interiors were crap, and the ride quality too ... yet the engine was more responsive than anything of that size (or even bigger) that I have driven. Dunno, maybe because of the light weight

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

AutobahnSHO

I have a buddy who spent the better part of a couple years traveling to teach. He said the Versas were absolute trash and wouldn't let anyone rent him one anymore- he liked the Kias and if he had to he'd drive a Sentra.
Will

veeman

I've had rental Versas before when the rental counter guy wouldn't upgrade me for a decent price.  They suck. They're roomy for a subcompact but everything else about them sucks.  Felt like a ten thousand dollar 3rd world car.  I've also rented a Sentra years back.  Reminded me of 3rd gen Chevy Crapalier.