Blue or Grey? Model 3

Started by NomisR, July 01, 2021, 03:41:18 PM

NomisR

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 22, 2021, 06:17:03 PM
I like the grey, but then I generally don't like red so I guess take that with a grain of salt.

I don't normally like red either..  chances are, i'll most likely end up with the grey.  I might end up wrapping it to the blue that I like though.

veeman

Wrapping it?  I thought only Lambos and Audi R8s got wrapped  :lol:

NomisR

Quote from: veeman on July 23, 2021, 10:21:12 PM
Wrapping it?  I thought only Lambos and Audi R8s got wrapped  :lol:

It seems popular with the Teslas for whatever reason..

r0tor

I see no appeal at all with that grey.  Red or blue
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

veeman

Quote from: NomisR on July 24, 2021, 11:40:43 AM
It seems popular with the Teslas for whatever reason..

I can't understand why.  The original paint quality may not be the greatest but it's not horrible.  When I think of who gets a vehicle wrapped, I think of the teenager or 20 something year old son of a multimillionaire or billionaire who has an exotic car or two and money to burn or a small business owner who's using a wrap to advertise their business on their car.  I never see wraps on non-exotic ICE cars.   

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on July 29, 2021, 02:46:06 PM
I can't understand why.  The original paint quality may not be the greatest but it's not horrible.  When I think of who gets a vehicle wrapped, I think of the teenager or 20 something year old son of a multimillionaire or billionaire who has an exotic car or two and money to burn or a small business owner who's using a wrap to advertise their business on their car.  I never see wraps on non-exotic ICE cars.   

I think its because Teslas are in fact rather bland in the styling department, so people want them to blend in a little less.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MrH

The paint on many model 3s is unlike anything else I've ever seen on a modern car
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

Wraps were pretty common on a lot of different cars at cars and coffee... Well when that existed
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

NomisR

It's the lack of color and detail of the car.. combined with the fact that there's so many especially in California.  That's why I'm planning on getting a new front bumper so it would look less bland..

Quote from: MrH on July 29, 2021, 05:35:19 PM
The paint on many model 3s is unlike anything else I've ever seen on a modern car

I heard it's water based paint? 

SJ_GTI

I've thought about getting a wrap on my Z3. Black looks OK but boring. I'd love a bright blue color. I am just too lazy to go get it done.  :lol:

MrH

Quote from: NomisR on July 30, 2021, 12:34:51 PM

I heard it's water based paint? 

They're running it past the capacity it was designed for.  Just not enough paint on most cars.  It's crazy thin and they totally miss spots sometimes.  There are class action lawsuits over how bad it is
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FoMoJo

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 30, 2021, 01:04:17 PM
I've thought about getting a wrap on my Z3. Black looks OK but boring. I'd love a bright blue color. I am just too lazy to go get it done.  :lol:

So how durable are these wraps, and do they fade from exposure?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

veeman

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 30, 2021, 01:15:53 PM
So how durable are these wraps, and do they fade from exposure?

I've heard 7 or so years but have to be careful with getting your car washed.   

SJ_GTI

Quote from: veeman on July 30, 2021, 01:29:43 PM
I've heard 7 or so years but have to be careful with getting your car washed.

Yeah when I looked at it (just casually) it seemed like most folks really only expect to get a few years before it either needs to be unwrapped or rewrapped.

FoMoJo

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 30, 2021, 01:35:46 PM
Yeah when I looked at it (just casually) it seemed like most folks really only expect to get a few years before it either needs to be unwrapped or rewrapped.
I suppose one advantage of a wrap is that it might prevent paint chips from people opening their doors into the side of your car.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SJ_GTI

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 30, 2021, 01:43:15 PM
I suppose one advantage of a wrap is that it might prevent paint chips from people opening their doors into the side of your car.

That was my understanding as well.

NomisR

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 30, 2021, 01:43:15 PM

That's really not true though because the wrap is so thin, it doesn't really protect from much.. although since Tesla's paint is so thin as well.. it's probably an improvement.

Quote from: MrH on July 30, 2021, 01:13:46 PM
They're running it past the capacity it was designed for.  Just not enough paint on most cars.  It's crazy thin and they totally miss spots sometimes.  There are class action lawsuits over how bad it is

They're probably not doing any better today considering how many more cars they're producing today.

Submariner

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 30, 2021, 01:35:46 PM

From what I've read, a high quality vinyl + a professional install will get you 5-7 years, especially if you take care of your car (garaging it + properly washing the vehicle by hand rather than through a carwash), but a good install is $4k+...
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Submariner

Quote from: NomisR on July 30, 2021, 03:56:22 PM
That's really not true though because the wrap is so thin, it doesn't really protect from much.. although since Tesla's paint is so thin as well.. it's probably an improvement.

Vinyl will protect against small paint chips (like a clear bra would, though vinyl wraps aren't as sturdy or thick so the protection against mechanical damage isn't as great) as well as fine scratches, UV damage, pollution fallout, bird droppings, etc.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550