Pommes-T's road to insanity: Next Chapter - Audi A6

Started by Pommes-T, March 20, 2022, 01:48:11 PM

Pommes-T

And it became to pass in those days that Pommes-T went to Ikea to buy a sidewall for his "ivar" regal and wanted to fit it into the trunk of his E39 BMW. It was not possible, because the orderer of this car back in 2000 opted for leather seats, BBS wheels and a sunroof, but refrained to pay 100$ for the foldable back seats. I somehow managed to place the regal wall in the passenger cabin, but that was the moment I sarted to think about buying a station wagon.

I can't start to write you guys anything about my A6 without mentioning my E39, because I simply loved that car and in the moment I bought that Audi A6 I somehow knew that I was making a mistake.

The coolest thing I did with my BMW was to take it on a roadtrip to switzerland and italy with a little detour to some vineyards in Alsace. In the serpentines of the Alps and the Piedmont the nausea of my wife was the speed-limiting factor, not the power of the engine. The roadholding, the roaring inline 6, the sun through the sunroof near the mediterranean sea... the car was pure awesomeness.

And so even before the time where it became useful for us Europeans to drive a car in which you can put all your belongings, before russian soldiers take a dump in your front yard, I decided to buy a station wagon.
My choice was an Audi A6 3.2. Avant with front wheel drive, built in 2005. 218000km on the odometer. Leather seats, sunroof, 6 gear manual and at first glance in good shape with fresh MOT. Got it for 4500€ from a young Audi employee who for sure got it even cheaper, but had it fixed for MOT with new axle guides and brakes and a new clutch. Because I loved my BMW so much I at first thought about keeping it, but aborted that plan when I realized that not having a parking lot for all cars (wifey has a smart) makes life more difficult instead of more fun. So I sold it for 1400€ (bought it for 1800€ plus a few minor repairs) after a bit more than a year of driving it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGzcOq5fo1o&t=2s

So. How was the Audi?

Engine: The V6 sounded good and was really powerful. It ran 250km/h with quite some effort. I didn't feel that it was electronically limited, it simply felt out of power at that speed. Sounds good anyways? Well. The BMW reached 5km/h less, the M52 engines are known to produce more hp than claimed and so the gap of 86hp more felt like 20hp.
Fuel consumption: 20hp that I had to pay with about 1,5l/100km. I have a heavy right foot, all in all the Audi needed about 11,5-12l/100km. I think that's okay for such a large and strong car; but the BMW was simply very fuel efficient, so I thought the Audi was a bit of a gas guzzler. Plus it needed 0,5l engine oil/ 1000km. Must say I was happy that I got it sold after 6 months.
Exterior: I have always liked the looks of the Audi A6 4f. The length of 4,92m is borderline too big for a big german city. I found some rust on both decorative lines on the front doors. A common problem of these Audis, which doesn't raise my affection towards once fully galvanised and quasi rust-free Audis.
Interior: The trunk space and the interior space in the cabin was excellent. The quality of the interior materials was IMO way better than in current Audis. One major problem was that the dated first generation infotainment system wasn't compatible with any cheap to build in bluetooth adapters, which I absolutely need in my cars.
Roadholding/driving: The most important aspect is, that the car had too much power for a FWD car. Especially when wet it was difficult to find the right dose of power when steering or accelerating. Apart from that aspect the roadholding was excellent for an old station wagon that wasn't constructed as a sports car. It was a safe, sporty, but comfortable car. Especially on long trips it was a pleasure to drive comfortably quick with a silent, strong engine.

After 6 months and 6500km I sold the car without much loss (had a minor brake repair). What came next? Stay tuned.  :partyon:

'00 BMW 523i

shp4man

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Soup DeVille

The E39 really was a high water mark in a lot of ways.

Betcha he bought another one.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Submariner

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 20, 2022, 07:44:58 PM
The E39 really was a high water mark in a lot of ways.

Betcha he bought another one.

Trying to think of a clever analogy for BMW now involving toilets and water...
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550